EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Random Computer Questions
Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 08-17-2004 10:08:51 PM
I intend to build a computer here sometime soon, and I would like some help with some hardware questions.

1. If I were to have a dual processor system with 2 AMD 64 bit 2.2 Ghz processors would this be at all faster in both a gaming sense and normal day to day processing, than something such as a 3.2 Ghz pentium 4?

2. What exactly does FSB have to do with actual speed at which information is processed?

Thanks for your help.

pain is temporary but pride is forever
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 08-17-2004 10:12:00 PM
quote:
Sabratiz had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I intend to build a computer here sometime soon, and I would like some help with some hardware questions.

1. If I were to have a dual processor system with 2 AMD 64 bit 2.2 Ghz processors would this be at all faster in both a gaming sense and normal day to day processing, than something such as a 3.2 Ghz pentium 4?

2. What exactly does FSB have to do with actual speed at which information is processed?

Thanks for your help.

1. Not necessarily
2. It's the speed at which the memory interfaces with the cpu. Faster FSB = faster RAM = faster compy

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-17-2004 10:21:25 PM
Dual Procs wont' help you in gaming type applications. It is much more useful in number crunching apps, and encoding/decoding, etc.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 08-17-2004 10:23:45 PM
So really if im gonna be gaming I should just go something like a pentium 4?
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-17-2004 10:35:18 PM
Stop listening to Intel propaganda

The Mhz rating of an AMD processor is not what you're supposed to go off of. You're supposed to go off of its own rating system, like 2400+, 1600+, 3000+, etc.

An Athlon 64 3200+ is on the level with a P4 3.2

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-17-2004 10:40:51 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Naota Nandaba wrote:
Stop listening to Intel propaganda

The Mhz rating of an AMD processor is not what you're supposed to go off of. You're supposed to go off of its own rating system, like 2400+, 1600+, 3000+, etc.

An Athlon 64 3200+ is on the level with a P4 3.2

Yeah shame that pretty much every web site has said that AMD is overestimating the performance of their chips. they are rated at least a couple hundred MHZ to fast.

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-17-2004 10:43:29 PM
quote:
Azizza probably says this to all the girls:
Yeah shame that pretty much every web site has said that AMD is overestimating the performance of their chips. they are rated at least a couple hundred MHZ to fast.

Don't start

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-17-2004 10:46:44 PM
quote:
Naota Nandaba had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Don't start

Just giving him the facts.

Ryuujin
posted 08-17-2004 10:51:34 PM
quote:
Sabratiz's fortune cookie read:

Thanks for your help.

Like someone said already, dual processing at this time will do very little to help you with gaming. Dual-processing is almost exclusively used by servers, because it allows for faster multi-tasking. However, this isn't just the only thing. Lots of server application are designed to take advantage of dual processors and at this time, there are very few, if any at all, games that take advantage of dual processors.

Oh yeah, and the faster the FSB, the faster the "talk" between your CPU and the memory.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-17-2004 11:30:05 PM
quote:
Azizza impressed everyone with:
Just giving him the facts.

Benchmarks still put AMD ahead in the value department, and they're comparable at the high end as well.

You're both giving him propaganda. Just point him to the [T]ard forums and be done with it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: