EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: RolePlaying in San Diego/El Cajon
Ian Benjamin
Pancake
posted 08-17-2004 07:14:10 PM
My current group is in need of more players. They aren't real keen on the idea of bringing in strangers, but I need to find a more reliable group with whom I can get my AD&D/WhiteWolf/WoT fix. Anyone in the San Diego/El Cajon area?
Ian Benjamin
(MJER)

Everything ever taught to you by Jim Bob of Billy Bob's Black Belt Emporium is a lie. Now, tie your obi UNDER the hakama and try again.

Ares
posted 08-17-2004 07:17:52 PM
Maradon!
posted 08-17-2004 07:34:09 PM
I could telecommute from SC to El Cajones

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-17-2004 at 07:34 PM.

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 08-17-2004 09:20:39 PM
I live in San Diego... don't usually play much in person anymore, so much easier online.
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-18-2004 01:32:21 AM
AD&D? Why not 3.5?
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-18-2004 02:34:49 AM
I run a 3.5 group in Mira Mesa. I'm on the cusp of starting an Eberron campaign but if you were interested in meeting the group for when a convienent spot opened for a new character just shoot me a PM or email and i'll give you the information.
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 08-18-2004 02:41:50 AM
i aem aettaecking the daerkneas!!11
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Dr. Gee
posted 08-18-2004 02:43:02 AM
But at Callahan's there are no cheetos!
Super Kagrama
posted 08-18-2004 03:01:26 AM
NOE MATTAER!!111
Dr. Gee
posted 08-18-2004 03:03:18 AM
Alright. Fine. We can do without the cheetos! But what about the Mountain Dew??? How are we supposed to attack the darkness without the sacred elixer?
Super Kagrama
posted 08-18-2004 03:18:37 AM
we caen roell the diece too see if i aem gettiegn druenk!!11
Dr. Gee
posted 08-18-2004 03:21:12 AM
Genious!
Ian Benjamin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 12:20:30 PM
"OKAY, BUT IF THERE ARE ANY GIRLS THERE I WANT TO DO THEM!"

Great stuff. Seriously though, Dr. Gee, I think I'd be interested. The only problem is that I was (and always will be) a hardcore 2nd Ed. gamer, so I'll need to be caught up on 3.5 rules. I've played 3.0, but not extensively.

Ian Benjamin
(MJER)

Everything ever taught to you by Jim Bob of Billy Bob's Black Belt Emporium is a lie. Now, tie your obi UNDER the hakama and try again.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 08-18-2004 12:27:13 PM
"Ogres? Man, I've got an Ogre Slaying Knife! It's got a +9 against Ogres!"
"You're not THERE, YOU'RE GETTING DRUNK!"
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-18-2004 12:28:05 PM
quote:
Verily, Ian Benjamin doth proclaim:
"OKAY, BUT IF THERE ARE ANY GIRLS THERE I WANT TO DO THEM!"

Great stuff. Seriously though, Dr. Gee, I think I'd be interested. The only problem is that I was (and always will be) a hardcore 2nd Ed. gamer, so I'll need to be caught up on 3.5 rules. I've played 3.0, but not extensively.

All in all, it's just EASIER

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Dr. Gee
posted 08-18-2004 02:56:45 PM
Honestly, 3.x is a piece of cake to pick up if you already know the second edition rules. If you want, you could try and pick up a PDF of the 3.5 PHB and browse through that to get a feel for it. Or go pick up Icewind Dale 2 used somewhere. Not the best way to learn, but really...do you need a big excuse to purchase an Icewind Dale game?

Don't worry too much about it though. The only two people really fluent in the rules overall are the President of the club and I. And we both still need to refer back for a lot of things still, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Ares
posted 08-18-2004 06:18:29 PM
Hehee.. That RPG dialogue never looses it's funniness to me. "I am attacking the darkness" ".....Hahahhaha!"
Ian Benjamin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 06:36:57 PM
Cool, how many folks are in this group? Let me know what kinds of characters they are playing and what would be appropriate for this campaign. Feel free to PM me the addy for the RP-HQ and the session dates. I'll steal a 3rd ed. players handbook from Maho in the meantime.
Ian Benjamin
(MJER)

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 08-18-2004 06:52:56 PM
quote:
Verily, Ares doth proclaim:
Hehee.. That RPG dialogue never looses it's funniness to me. "I am attacking the darkness" ".....Hahahhaha!"

I think I still have the entire thing memorized. My memory's weird like that.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Dr. Gee
posted 08-18-2004 08:57:41 PM
quote:
Ian Benjamin obviously shouldn't have said:
Cool, how many folks are in this group? Let me know what kinds of characters they are playing and what would be appropriate for this campaign. Feel free to PM me the addy for the RP-HQ and the session dates. I'll steal a 3rd ed. players handbook from Maho in the meantime.

We do 3.5. It's basically the same concept but pretty different in the nitty gritty details. We meet just about every Saturday at 2pm at Callahan's Pub and Brewery in Mira Mesa. If you're coming in from the 15 on Mira Mesa Blvd it'll be in the mall that's on the left after you pass Camino Ruiz. You could also google Callahan's San Diego and that should pop it up.

Right now there are 8 players about to start the campaign, so i'm sure you can see why i'm not accepting anyone new right now. If it turns up that there are any more people wanting to come play we'll probably end up splitting into two groups with two DMs to keep the size managable.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 09:59:07 PM
quote:
Ian Benjamin had this to say about Punky Brewster:
The only problem is that I was (and always will be) a hardcore 2nd Ed. gamer, so I'll need to be caught up on 3.5 rules. I've played 3.0, but not extensively.

Yeah same here. I don't know... 2ed just is... more appealing.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-18-2004 10:20:55 PM
Bah.

The players make the game, ruleset doesnt matter.

Heh, my group is going to have to split pretty soon, possibly ta 3 groups :-/ Something about 13 people in some guys living room isnt good.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 08-18-2004 10:45:49 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper's fortune cookie read:
Bah.

The players make the game, ruleset doesnt matter.

Agreed!

--8-Bit Theater
Ian Benjamin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2004 11:34:50 PM
Ok, I just went out to Waldenbooks and bought the PHB 3.5 and the Masters of the Wild Barbarian/Druid/Ranger guidebook just for fun. Are those classes fine for this particular group and setting? (Wouldn't want to have too many of the same class or something out of place.) Would you rather I make my character at home or at the pub?
Ian Benjamin
(MJER)

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: