EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: and Linux
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 02:01:01 PM
I want to re setup my home network, even if it means I might take a slight bandwith hit, I think the extra security of having everything pass through a linux box first is worth it. Even if it means I have to learn how to mess with ports n junk so all of my online games work right.

So this is possible right? With what distro/version would it be easiest? The only Linux I really ever touched was Mandrake, and the interface was fairly similar and somewhat easy to navigate. However I never was able to get the linux box to talk to my XP box that holds the connection to the internet.

Specifically I want my network to stay configured the way it currently is.

code:
 Wall
|
|
V
Cable Modem
|
|
V
Connection Manager
|
|
V
Switch
| | | |
V V V |
PC PC PC V
Switch 2 (for LAN parties)

I'd rather reconfigure this old 800mhz P3 with 128mb PC133 (127 after the chipset takes memory for the integrated video) 40gb HDD box into my new gateway PC so I don't have my main gaming rig on the line all the time. I finally just want the extra security from all those high fangled XP hackers out there.

So, advice, suggestions, and flames accepted. Just don't let this turn into a Linux VS Windows fight, because if there was more gaming support for Linux, I'd go penguin.

I plan on naming the new rig Ted by the way. Catch the joke?

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 08-02-2004 02:07:42 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a $40 linksys router. It will provide the exact same security with no fiddling.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-02-2004 02:08:13 PM
quote:
Blindy's little brother wrote this stupid shit:
Do yourself a favor and buy a $40 linksys router. It will provide the exact same security with no fiddling.
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 02:19:49 PM
I have $96 in my bank account, no thanks. And after I upgrade the secondary PC a bit, I also plan on using it to host an FPS server off of, probably half life.

[edit]And the setup I've been using has been working flawlessly for me for the past 3 years except when I mistakenly download virii from P2P networks.

Beta Tested fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 02:21 PM.

What's this thing do?
Melphina's Magelo
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-02-2004 02:22:08 PM
As far as I know, there are several distros out there targetted toward connection-manager boxes. I've got no experience with them, though.

You could poke around http://www.distrowatch.org for a while and see what you find.

Also, on a box like that, you're probably better off not installing X.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 02:23 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 02:34:42 PM
IpCop
m0n0wall
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Derek
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 08:03:09 PM
Nina
posted 08-02-2004 08:48:34 PM
quote:
Derek thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
ClarkConnect

I second this.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 08-02-2004 09:37:18 PM
OpenBSD. Because it's secure by default. Yea, baby.

EDIT: I just went to the ClarkConnect website, having never heard of it before. It looks very nice.

-Tok

Toktuk fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-03-2004 04:43:08 AM
Question for the newly posted OS's. Which ones could I use to run a Halflife server on as well? I plan on running an FPS server of somekind, as well as a webserver and mail server for my own uses.

I like the feed back so far. Looks like OpenBSD might provide the solution I was looking for.

What's this thing do?
Melphina's Magelo
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-03-2004 05:32:53 AM
quote:
Beta Tested stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Question for the newly posted OS's. Which ones could I use to run a Halflife server on as well? I plan on running an FPS server of somekind, as well as a webserver and mail server for my own uses.

I like the feed back so far. Looks like OpenBSD might provide the solution I was looking for.

You oughta be able to run a HL server on pretty much any Linux distro, afaik.
Alaan
posted 08-03-2004 02:01:17 PM
quote:
Beta Tested's fortune cookie read:

Unless the mail server is internal network only, you may have some issues. I know the phone company DSL providers generally charge extra for the...reverse lookup(?)...that you need for it to work properly.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: