EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who's your favorite comic book character?
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 08-02-2004 12:21:40 AM
Everyone has one. Spiderman, Deadpool, Batman, the list grows longer almost daily. But who is yours? Which character did you dress up as for halloween, have posters of in your room, or secretly lusted after?

My favorite has always been Captain America. Not because I like his shiny shield or anything, the reason I like him is different.

Back when I was really little, my grandfather still had all his comics from when he was young. He lived in Idaho so that was his passion. When he joined up for World War Two, his parents continued buying the comics for him. For my birthday one year, I slept over at his house and we read them all.

The reason that captain america stuck out was A.) My grandfather handed me some of them saying, "This guy's my favorite, you'll like him." so I instantly started there. The big reason though was B.) I was used to the Batman and Superman cartoons, where they capture the criminals and leave them haning on the flagpole in front of the police station. What did Captain America do to Captain Nazi?

He threw him out of the plane they were on.

It fucking blew my mind. Superheros weren't supposed to do that. They were supposed to turn them over to the police so that they went to jail. They didn't just kill them. They were supposed to dispense justice, not death.

I asked my grandfather this and he just smiled and said, "What police would he have taken him to? We were at war."

Ferret fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 12:22 AM.

nem-x
posted 08-02-2004 12:28:19 AM
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 12:34:06 AM
Spider-Man, absolutely no question. When I was a little kid I found it easy to identify with Webs, since the dream of most of us poor schlubs who were bullied in school is to gain enormous power and suddenly turn the tide against people who picked on us.
Peter, of course, was above all that, which just made him even cooler.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 08-02-2004 12:34:45 AM
quote:
Rockstar games presents; nem-x;
Deadpoolamundo
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-02-2004 12:42:20 AM
Gambit
Longshot
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 08-02-2004 12:44:09 AM
Batman

then

Spiderman

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Sepia
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 12:44:22 AM
ohh gosh. i LOVE spiderman because he's just so ...pitiful but yet so strong? you know? you feel so bad for him but then you feel so encouraged by him.

and i like mystique from x-men because she's just plain awesome.

and catwoman (not the halle berry catwoman though). because...she's..catty... and beautiful.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 12:57:10 AM
When I was younger, Batman was definately it. While I also was into Superman, Spiderman etc. I couldn't help shaking the feeling that these worlds were too over-the-top, I liked the gritty and semi-realistic feel of Batman.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-02-2004 02:09:14 AM
Batman.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 02:17:46 AM
Archangel. I first read about him in a cameo in an X-Men comic, didn't know much about him...asked my mom's friend who introduced me to comics in the first place about him and he searched for as many Angel/Archangel tales as he could find. After reading them all I was fascinated.

Favorite Villain would have to be Thanos, entirely because of the Infinity Gauntlet stuff. I mean come on, he killed 1/2 the universe in an effort to make Death fall in love with him!

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 08-02-2004 02:32:20 AM
Green Lantern or Iron Man.
Manjusri
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 03:55:57 AM
spiderman, hands down
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 08-02-2004 04:37:27 AM
FightMan! Why? Well, he got his own one shot comic, and he was just really stupid (he glued his mask to his face by accident)

And his only apparent weakness is being KO'ed by the Hudson Insurance Building.

Kennatsu fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 04:39 AM.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 08-02-2004 06:17:42 AM
Wolverine. He doesn't have much in the way of flashy gadgets or powers, just the power to beat ass.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-02-2004 06:58:48 AM
I didn't. Never got into super heroes as a kid. I wasn't allowed to buy comic books -- they were a waste of money.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-02-2004 08:16:43 AM
Iron Man, pre-Tony-Stark's-paralysis.

I don't like the remote-operated robot. I loved Iron Man when he was a dude in power armour.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-02-2004 10:51:21 AM
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 08-02-2004 10:53:00 AM
hrmmm....
Green arrow
Hawkeye
Dr. Fate
Dr. Strange
Eros
Archangel/Angel
Nightcrawler
Hulk\Mr. Fixit
Batman
Beast
and.. my all time favorite but not really a staple to any fighting force.. well unless you knew who he was..
FORGE!!

NOW... villians i liked
Dr. Octopus
The Huntress
Myxlplix <or how ever you spelled it>
Mysterio
a few others but i dont remember the names.. dammit..
and my favorite hands down...
JUGGERNAUGHT

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-02-2004 10:55:32 AM
Dr. Strange
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-02-2004 10:59:22 AM
When I was little, Spiderman was the bomb.

Deadpool is too awesome, however.

hey
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 08-02-2004 11:00:35 AM
Spider-Man.

Someone explain Dr. Strange to me. <cue Deth>

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 08-02-2004 11:12:19 AM
I had completely forgotten about Dr. Stange. He's definitely bad ass.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
MorbId
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 11:30:43 AM
Gambit, then Batman.

I did dress up as Gambit one Halloween - no one recognized it. Good times.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-02-2004 11:40:14 AM
The Tick
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-02-2004 12:07:37 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Cherveny wrote:
The Tick

damn, didn't think about that.... considerng my #2 pick was The Spoon (he rips his enemy's hearts out with a spoon) from The Retributors, i should have thought of that

--

My favorite character is Wolverine. He takes a lot of of shit but doesn't let it get to him and always ends on top.

edit: Tick trump Freakazoid any day!

diadem fucked around with this message on 08-02-2004 at 12:08 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 08-02-2004 01:16:07 PM
The Fantastic Four!

Mostly Ben Grimm, but Johnny Storm is really cool!

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Aaron (the good one)
posted 08-02-2004 01:20:29 PM
HeavySpider
Pancake
posted 08-03-2004 02:00:09 AM
spiderman all the way!
pic

HeavySpider fucked around with this message on 08-03-2004 at 02:03 AM.

Th3_Sn1per will save the day!
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-03-2004 03:07:26 AM
I've always been partial to Iron Man...

but a lot of Marvel heroes are just awesome.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 08-03-2004 03:10:37 AM

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 08-03-2004 at 03:11 AM.

Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 08-03-2004 03:23:47 AM
Batman
Raven
Supergirl

Janus. fucked around with this message on 08-03-2004 at 03:27 AM.

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 08-03-2004 03:28:00 AM
The Punisher.
He KILLS bad guys dead. Like, Shove a rocket up your ass, and send you home to Italy in a SPECIMEN CUP dead. And why would you have a big white skull on your chest? BECAUSE, it makes the dumb bad guys shoot at it, which is covered in kevlar, rather than at your EXPOSED HEAD.

And he had no super powers, but still managed to fuck with Spiderman, Daredevil, et all.

But I still want X-Ray vision.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 08-03-2004 03:30:10 AM
HAY DELID>

why the fuck is deadpool holding a paintball gun in that pic?

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 08-03-2004 03:38:04 AM
Because Deadpool will do many wacky and witty things with said paintball gun and then STAB THEM IN THE FACE WITH THE BIG KNIFE HE HAS IN HIS RIGHT HAND.

(*'-')b

Zair
The Imp
posted 08-03-2004 03:39:26 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Cherveny said:
The Tick

Same, probably. But speciffically the comic book Tick, not the cartoon one.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-03-2004 03:47:21 AM
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

nem-x
posted 08-03-2004 03:53:35 AM
Aaron (the good one)
posted 08-03-2004 03:56:42 AM
that comic was so awesome.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-03-2004 04:05:16 AM
LOL

I need more Deadpool now

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-03-2004 09:20:27 AM
Dr Stephen Strange was originally a singularly gifted surgeon. His "magic hands" were responsible for pulling off some of the most complex, intricate, and difficult surgeries of his day.

Then there was an accident. Strange's hands healed, but not well. He no longer had the amazing manual dexterity he once possessed, and without his hands, he couldn't use his skills as a surgeon. So Strange went on a quest, visiting healers of every discipline the world over in hopes they could help heal his hands, but to no avail. He eventually heard of someone called the "Ancient One" who might be able to assist.

As it turns out, the Ancient One was Earth's "Sorcerer Supreme" or leading figure in the arcane arts, safeguarding the world's magic and protecting Earth from external supernatural threats. The Ancient One, however, was ready to pass on his duty, and had foreseen two students who might have the aptitude and impetus to do the duty: Dr Stephen Strange, and Dr Victor Von Doom (yes Dr Doom from the Fantastic Four).

Strange got there first, as Doom was busy elsewhere, and Strange started to study under the Ancient One. At first Strange was a poor student. He was a physician, a doctor, a child of science. Why would he ever start believing in hocus pocus? But at least paying attention was part of the bargain to heal his hands, so Strange put up with the weird old man.

And then the Ancient One was struck down by one of the primal supernatural evils he'd been containing for ages, and like it or not, Strange had to use the supernatural knowledge and power he possessed to put it back to rest. And so the world had a new Sorcerer Supreme.

Since then, Strange has become a quasi-famous character. Other superheroes know Strange, because he often intercedes for the "big picture" greater good, nudging heroes to act in certain ways. He's also known by other superheroes as being The Man when it comes to supernatural knowledge. Back in the 70's it was Strange alone who possessed the willpower and arcane potency to invoke the Montessi Formula, which rid the Earth of Vampires (though a demon has since counteracted the Montessi Formula and new vampires walk the world).

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: