EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Most MMORPGs are giving me nothing but frustration...
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 08-01-2004 07:06:42 AM
And City of Heroes is no exception. Lessee....

I start a character, have fun for a week or so and then it sets in...

I fight, get enough XP to level, get some training....

I take a mission, fight some more, get enough XP to level, get training...

I get in a group, get into another fight, get a lot of xp, etc....

See where I'm going? It's getting really, REALLY monotonous for me. Yes, yes... you can get currency to buy better items/powerups so you can FIGHT SOME MORE.

Yes, I'm sure there's the exploration option there, but to be able to explor everything you have to be powerful, and the only way to become powerful is to FIGHT!

So far only SWG hasn't gotten THAT monotonous yet. I thought the Trader and Engineer classes of AO were merchant type classes, but you still had to fight and got very little xp for your crafting.

I'm sure that the more experienced players of MMORPGs will flame me for putting out this thread, but I feel like I need to vent out my frustrations...

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 08-01-2004 07:08:27 AM
This is a common complaint, because a lot of MMORPGs are the same game with a different name.
Addy
posted 08-01-2004 07:08:31 AM
My advice: Take a break from MMOGs.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 08-01-2004 08:16:08 AM
quote:
Addy's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
My advice: Take a break from MMOGs.
Or simply stop playing them.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Addy
posted 08-01-2004 08:19:18 AM
quote:
Black thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Or simply stop playing them.

That works too.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 08-01-2004 08:22:06 AM
quote:
Addy's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
That works too.
What worked for me was an awesome guild, with wonderful people to talk to. Enjoying/experiencing the game and being able to talk with friends rate about 60%/40% of why I play MMORPGs.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Addy
posted 08-01-2004 08:25:42 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Black!
What worked for me was an awesome guild, with wonderful people to talk to. Enjoying/experiencing the game and being able to talk with friends rate about 60%/40% of why I play MMORPGs.

Agreed, although instead of a guild (since the guilds I'm in never transfer to different games), I just have a few folks I play MMOGs with. Most of the time I'll just chill around and chat with people instead of leveling.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-01-2004 09:38:34 AM
quote:
Addy's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Agreed, although instead of a guild (since the guilds I'm in never transfer to different games), I just have a few folks I play MMOGs with. Most of the time I'll just chill around and chat with people instead of leveling.

Nuh uh Miss Uber Pants Always levelled past me Were always TOO BUSY to chat omg omg yuo haet me no you don't

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-01-2004 at 09:39 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-01-2004 10:18:01 AM
Kenn, that is the nature of MMOGs. Put simply, they're all treadmills. That's the nature of the genre. What makes the games fun is the people you interact with. You need people to hang around with for the games to be fun.

It does sound like you're not looking for the typical MMOG though. My advice is take a look at A Tale in the Desert. Its a crafter MMOG, with no fighting at all. It has a small, but dedicated community and some very dedicated developers. I think that may be more what you're looking for in a MMOG.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-01-2004 12:31:19 PM
I agree with Black. sounds to me like MMO's just aren't that appealing to you, much like I personally avoid RTS games. They just don't *do it* for me.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 08-01-2004 04:08:58 PM
Heh.... I do like MMORPGs. It's just that there's so much combat you have to do just to advance. So far UO and SWG are the only games I know of that give you more ways to advance in the game other than combat. I guess I'm just sick of doing so much hunting/killing/combat support when I'd rather be doing something else. There are times when I wish Microsoft would make an MMO of their flight simulator games just so people can fly around and have fun.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-01-2004 04:23:23 PM
quote:
Kennatsu wrote:
There are times when I wish Microsoft would make an MMO of their flight simulator games just so people can fly around and have fun.

People would just grief the players who are running proper commercial flights, by flying smaller aircraft and ramming them.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-01-2004 04:24:37 PM
Yeah, I ws thinking exactly the same.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Suddar
posted 08-01-2004 04:25:19 PM
If you don't like combat, CoH isn't the game for you. Never will be.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 08-01-2004 04:27:32 PM
quote:
So quoth Kennatsu:
There are times when I wish Microsoft would make an MMO of their flight simulator games just so people can fly around and have fun.

People would crash into you just for fun.

Besides, you would soon fly over all the maps, and then have noplace new to explore. Without the combat (and other such things) to slow you down, you'll quickly run out of new places to see.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-01-2004 05:14:27 PM
quote:
Kennatsu said this about your mom:
Heh.... I do like MMORPGs. It's just that there's so much combat you have to do just to advance. So far UO and SWG are the only games I know of that give you more ways to advance in the game other than combat.

A Tale in the Desert and EVE Online both allow you to advance without combat. Like I said earlier, the former has no combat at all.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-01-2004 05:51:50 PM
Having friends to play with and talk to in a MMOG is important for me. Being able to just talk with people was nice when I didn't feel like grinding my ass towards the next level. It's what kept me in EQ for so long.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 08-02-2004 02:13:00 AM
I enjoy the RP part of MMORPG. I gave up on the DAoC treadmill years ago. I play for the characters now, not the levels. The levels come in time.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 02:14:41 PM
quote:
Kennatsu had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Heh.... I do like MMORPGs. It's just that there's so much combat you have to do just to advance. So far UO and SWG are the only games I know of that give you more ways to advance in the game other than combat. I guess I'm just sick of doing so much hunting/killing/combat support when I'd rather be doing something else. There are times when I wish Microsoft would make an MMO of their flight simulator games just so people can fly around and have fun.

Try EVE

Unfortunately for you the 14 day free trial offer expired 2 days ago, it's only $20 to download and play for a month, something like 15/month after that. Which has become a standard MMO fee. You don't have to fight to advance, but you do have to avoid those who do fight for a living. Which can be done easily by sticking to safe sectors.

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-02-2004 04:23:18 PM
quote:
How.... Beta Tested.... uughhhhhh:
Try EVE
You don't have to fight to advance, but you do have to avoid those who do fight for a living. Which can be done easily by sticking to safe sectors.

soooo... if you want to explore the game to its fullest... what would you have to do? *whistles innocently*

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-02-2004 04:32:24 PM
Crafting or mining or trading is very easily possible in the safe sectors KaL Although it is a part of the game, it's similar to SW:G where you really don't have to fight to make a living. It can provide supplimentary income, but it WILL NOT provide any form of experiance. For the most part, it's just an annoyance to have to move out of a mine field when a rat (mob) spawns in a .8-.5 zone. .4 and below are hunting zones for PK's and places where rats spawn in abundance. Roam at your own risk.

But seriously you can have a very fufilling career in this game without engaging in combat after the tutorial. You just run away all the time

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-02-2004 04:37:45 PM
seems like it would be just as boring as fighting all the time in Kenn's case. *mine mine mine mine, ohshit! pirate! run run run run* wash, rinse, repeat a dozen times on a bad night.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: