EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Barack Obama
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-28-2004 05:27:39 PM
Anyone else watching the DNC last night see this guy speak? I saw part of his speech and holy crap! He is one of the most profound speakers I have seen in quite a while. Frankly, I'm very interested to see what he'll do in the rest of his political career. It's people like Sen. Obama and the often begrudged Mayor Newsom that the democrats need to breathe life into their floundering party.

What'd you [those of you that watched the DNC] think of Obama? Also, if anyone saw Ron Reagan's speech - how was it?

Oh, and I suppose those of you living in Illinois can speak on Obama, too.

Vorbis fucked around with this message on 07-28-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-28-2004 07:25:39 PM
The Dems are having a convention? Can't say as I've noticed. I thought for sure there'd be something on the news about it. At least in passing.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 07-28-2004 09:28:55 PM
It should be interesting to see how the media treats him come election time, seeing as how he will more or less be running unopposed... since they have yet to find anyone with the balls to commit political suicide by entering the race for the GOP this late in the game.
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-28-2004 09:33:38 PM
quote:
Callalron attempted to be funny by writing:
The Dems are having a convention? Can't say as I've noticed. I thought for sure there'd be something on the news about it. At least in passing.

It was all over our local newspaper, but then again being a medium sized city we don't have much news to report on anyway

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-28-2004 09:42:02 PM
With a name one letter short from Osama I doubt he'll get anywhere against an actual opponent when the attack ads are through with him.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-28-2004 11:04:46 PM
quote:
Mod was listening to Cher while typing:
With a name one letter short from Osama I doubt he'll get anywhere against an actual opponent when the attack ads are through with him.

I know you're critical of American politics, but we're not that sophmoric.

Besides, he's still a good two or three terms away from even being up for running realistically. He's part of the not-as-horrible future for the Dems, though.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-28-2004 11:13:11 PM
quote:
Vorbis had this to say about Pirotess:
I know you're critical of American politics, but we're not that sophmoric.

Besides, he's still a good two or three terms away from even being up for running realistically. He's part of the not-as-horrible future for the Dems, though.

It has nothing to do with me hating the US or whatever you are implying, many voters here even on my end of the political spectrum vote solely by image and a candidate's name is a part of that. Look what happened to McCain over his adopted daughter, are you saying that Obama's political opponents wouldn't jump on this?

Mod fucked around with this message on 07-28-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Razor
posted 07-28-2004 11:15:37 PM
quote:
Callalron was naked while typing this:

not watching CBS/NBC/ABC much? been plastered all over the news.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-28-2004 11:19:48 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Tron:
It has nothing to do with me hating the US or whatever you are implying, many voters here even on my end of the political spectrum vote solely by image and a candidate's name is a part of that. Look what happened to McCain over his adopted daughter, are you saying that Obama's political opponents wouldn't jump on this?

It's a far stretch to take what I said and get "Mod hates the US lolzer" out of it, and you know it. So settle down, I'm not attempting anything here.

I'm saying is that with the sticks-and-stones mentality of America, the fact that Obama is a letter off from Osama wouldn't be able to solidly sink his chances of being elected (except in the 10 - 14 year old demographic, but they can't vote). Hell, I'd be damned suprised if it did anything at all, especially eight to twelve years down the line.

Even if his political opponents did jump on it, which I'm sure some would, it'd reflect worse on them than it would on him.

And Razor - the big three haven't been covering the conventions except the acceptance speeches.

Vorbis fucked around with this message on 07-28-2004 at 11:20 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-28-2004 11:29:23 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Vorbis said:
It's a far stretch to take what I said and get "Mod hates the US lolzer" out of it, and you know it. So settle down, I'm not attempting anything here.

I'm saying is that with the sticks-and-stones mentality of America, the fact that Obama is a letter off from Osama wouldn't be able to solidly sink his chances of being elected (except in the 10 - 14 year old demographic, but they can't vote). Hell, I'd be damned suprised if it did anything at all, especially eight to twelve years down the line.

Even if his political opponents did jump on it, which I'm sure some would, it'd reflect worse on them than it would on him.

And Razor - the big three haven't been covering the conventions except the acceptance speeches.

To take up the same example again, the push-polling over McCain and his 'illegitimate black child' did work even though there wasn't an ounce of truth to it, if that didn't turn out to backfire I doubt an attack on a person's name would. It's not just the issue of the similarity to Osama though, I wouldn't give a man called Faraji Hassan much of a chance either.

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 07-28-2004 11:32:15 PM
quote:
Mod stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

What opponent? His rival was Jack Ryan, who was more or less forced to drop his campaign after his divorce files were unsealed and the sex "scandal" was jumped upon by the media.

Even if the GOP does manage to drum up an opponent, if they used the "Obama is Osama" tactic, it would just come across as being a vile character smudge attack by a desperate party. Which I what it would be really.

And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-28-2004 11:36:47 PM
quote:
Espio Idsavant was naked while typing this:
What opponent? His rival was Jack Ryan, who was more or less forced to drop his campaign after his divorce files were unsealed and the sex "scandal" was jumped upon by the media.

Even if the GOP does manage to drum up an opponent, if they used the "Obama is Osama" tactic, it would just come across as being a vile character smudge attack by a desperate party. Which I what it would be really.

That's whay I said 'actual' opponent, from what I read he should have this election in the bag.

They also need to 'unseal' some private tapes from Jack Ryan.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-28-2004 11:51:31 PM
quote:
Du Kind! Du hast ihn gesehen! Was hat er geModt?
To take up the same example again, the push-polling over McCain and his 'illegitimate black child' did work even though there wasn't an ounce of truth to it, if that didn't turn out to backfire I doubt an attack on a person's name would. It's not just the issue of the similarity to Osama though, I wouldn't give a man called Faraji Hassan much of a chance either.

Primary politics and presidential campaigning operate under different rules, however. Such smear campaigns would be met with uproar and bedlam from the other side. The whole push-polling over McCain has even created, as I understand it, a large rift in the Republican party between McCaininites and Bushies.

And true, I doubt a man named Faraji Hassan would have too much of a chance - but it's hard to tie Kenya to the Middle East. I mean, they have lions in Kenya! Er, anyway, Africa doesn't suffer the same stigma as the Middle East - so it's a bit of a miss to say the same effect will occur. Hell, you might as well say that Kerry won't get elected because his wife sounds foreign!

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-29-2004 12:10:06 AM
quote:
Vorbis wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Primary politics and presidential campaigning operate under different rules, however. Such smear campaigns would be met with uproar and bedlam from the other side. The whole push-polling over McCain has even created, as I understand it, a large rift in the Republican party between McCaininites and Bushies.

And true, I doubt a man named Faraji Hassan would have too much of a chance - but it's hard to tie Kenya to the Middle East. I mean, they have lions in Kenya! Er, anyway, Africa doesn't suffer the same stigma as the Middle East - so it's a bit of a miss to say the same effect will occur. Hell, you might as well say that Kerry won't get elected because his wife sounds foreign!

If push-polling was so detested by the public at large how did Bush win a general election after it was conducted on his behalf in the primaries?

Faraji Hassan could be an African name just as well.

Mod fucked around with this message on 07-29-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-29-2004 12:22:57 AM
quote:
Mod had this to say about (_|_):
If push-polling was so detested by the public at large how did Bush win a general election after it was conducted on his behalf in the primaries?

Faraji Hassan could be an African name just as well.

I didn't say the public at large - I said the other political side. Further, it was done completely anonymously as even reports from McCain's side will tell you. At least get your argument straight.

I'm afraid I can't argue the name issue anymore without it just dissolving into (even more) horrible nit-picking. So I'll concede that the name does sound foreign. Yet I do believe that America is more progressive than to limit someone's chance of success solely on a lack of a Christian name.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-29-2004 01:22:31 AM
Heard a clip from one of his speeches on NPR today. The man has...IT. Spark, pizazz, oomph, passion. As a speaker, he kicks ass.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 07-29-2004 02:12:07 AM
Obama reminds me of a co-worker who talks the right thing and steals the credit for work done by others.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 07-29-2004 02:21:11 AM
quote:
Mod stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

McCain had a kid?

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-29-2004 02:24:00 AM
quote:
Death of Rats had this to say about Tron:
McCain had a kid?

He adopted a Bangladeshi orphan.

Zair
The Imp
posted 07-29-2004 03:20:53 AM
Obama is pretty amazing. I got the chance to hear him speak when he came to my University in the spring. His DNC speech was good, in my opinion, but his presentation was what made it great. I plan on getting involved in his Senate campaign when I get back to campus in August, but to be honest, since he is currently running unopposed, I feel a distinct lack of urgency . He is definatly going to win the Senate seat, and if that is as far as he goes, I will be very surprised.

I'd reccommend that anyone that is interested in politics go to the CSPAN website and watch Obama's speech, it was exellent. I'd reccommend watching Clinton's too, but Obama's speech will definatly appeal to more people (Clintons was more of a Dem rallying cry).

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-29-2004 03:28:04 AM
quote:
Vorbis had this to say about Robocop:
He adopted a Bangladeshi orphan.

Oh, and had plenty of his own. I should finish my research before posting.

Zair
The Imp
posted 07-29-2004 03:32:00 AM
Since my post is too old to edit, here is Obama's speech: Here It is the first video of the two.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-29-2004 03:49:45 AM
quote:
Zair had this to say about Cuba:
Obama's speech

That was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-29-2004 03:50:47 AM
quote:
Zair thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Since my post is too old to edit, here is Obama's speech: Here It is the first video of the two.

Or watch it all

Zair
The Imp
posted 07-29-2004 03:58:31 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about dark elf butts:
Or watch it all

My link showed it all....

edit: but yours was better as it can be viewed in more tan just Realplayer.

Zair fucked around with this message on 07-29-2004 at 04:02 AM.

Lashanna
noob
posted 07-29-2004 04:03:44 PM
I thought it was a great speech. I mean, it wasn't historical or groundbreaking, but it's as good, maybe better, than any sort of speech you can expect out of anyone these days. With the formulaic speechwriting today, truly good speeches seem to be almost a lost art. There are almost no bad speeches, just lots and lots of mediocre-to-decent ones. When speech writing is a High School class, there's problems.

Seems like an intelligent fellow if nothing else, but then, Ralph Nader is a very intelligent fellow, but a terrible politician in my opinion.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-29-2004 04:10:25 PM
quote:
Lashanna stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I thought it was a great speech. I mean, it wasn't historical or groundbreaking, but it's as good, maybe better, than any sort of speech you can expect out of anyone these days. With the formulaic speechwriting today, truly good speeches seem to be almost a lost art. There are almost no bad speeches, just lots and lots of mediocre-to-decent ones. When speech writing is a High School class, there's problems.

Seems like an intelligent fellow if nothing else, but then, Ralph Nader is a very intelligent fellow, but a terrible politician in my opinion.

Mark your calendars, ladies and gentlemen: I agree wholeheartedly with Lashanna!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-29-2004 04:11:24 PM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Mark your calendars, ladies and gentlemen: I agree wholeheartedly with Lashanna!

Gasp! <marks the moment>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: