EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Recommend Me Some Classical Music
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 07-19-2004 09:32:33 PM
So, I've recently come to the realization that I do not, in fact, hate classical music; I rather enjoy it under the right circumstances. The problem is, I know absolutely nothing about its composers, performers, or anything else, so I really don't know where to begin with picking up some CDs. I know some of you are quite knowledgeable in this area, so please go ahead and tell me what doesn't suck.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Ares
posted 07-19-2004 09:36:01 PM
Bach, preformed by the late Canadian pianistm Glen Gould
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-19-2004 09:43:19 PM
Full Orchestral or just piano stuff?
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 07-19-2004 09:48:06 PM
quote:
Kegwen wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Full Orchestral or just piano stuff?

Either, really. I'm grasping at straws, here

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Demos
Pancake
posted 07-19-2004 09:54:38 PM
Well, you certainly have a lot to chose from. I'll try to narrow it down for you.

Would you like:

full orchestra (Strings, brass, woodwinds, can be from 30-100 or more players)
partial orchestra (combo of above, usually just strings)
string quartets
piano solo
any instrument solo
Any instrument solo w/ others (concerti)

Also, do you prefer a darker sound, or a brighter sound? Fast, slow, loud, soft, you name it and there is something.

Also, what about vocal? Do you want singing in it too? Prevalent, or background singing? What language? We have everything from latin to italian, spanish, german, english, you name it!

For the sake of sampling a nice mix, I'd go with...ah hell, I'll brb after I get my notes from class

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Burger
BANNED!
posted 07-19-2004 10:23:18 PM
hrmmm, I'd say that probably the most well known classical recording (not necessarily the best) is the 1978 Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture as performed by the chicago pops.

For a shotgun approach to the rest of classical, I'd say to sample a little of the following:

Bach:
Brandenburg Concertos
St. Matthew's Passion

Beethoven:
Piano Concerto No 5 (Alfred Brendel/James Levine/Chicago Symhony Orch)
Symphonies 3,5,7,9 (billions of choices)
(unlike Start Trek movies its the odd numbers that are better )

Dvorak
Symphony No 9
Slavonic Dances

Schubert:
String Quintet
Naxos
Villa Musica Ensemble

Mozart:
Piano Concerto No 21

Vivaldi:
Four seasons

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-19-2004 10:26:08 PM
Download the Orchestral Game Concerts off of Khy's FTP.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-19-2004 10:56:03 PM
Chopin - "Revolutionary" Etude in C Minor
Addy
posted 07-19-2004 11:43:54 PM
Kind of hard to work off of your request, Bloodcookie, simply because there's so many types of classical music. Which era in particular do you have in mind? Do you prefer solos, duets, full orchestra, quartets, string orchestra, opera? Which instruments do you prefer? I don't have the greatest collection on my computer, so apologies in advanced. I did compile a small offering of music to help get you started, but I do urge you to look for CDs ASAP.

Also, one note: Finding good CDs that suit your taste can be extremely difficult, mostly because people interpret music very differently. When I was looking for a CD of Telemann's Viola Concerto in G Major, for example, I had the hardest time finding the 'right' recording. Some orchestras sped up during the 'wrong' parts, the third movement was far too fast or slow, the viola itself was too dark/bright, the soloist added too many flavor notes, etc.

Anyway.

First, some basic movements. There are more, especially during the 20th century.

Baroque - Vivaldi - Concerto No. 11 for Two Violins in D Minor Most Baroque pieces have this sort of feeling, when it comes to string orchestra.
Classical - Beethoven - Flight of the Bumblebee
Romantic - Dvorak - Serenade for Strings, Movement II
Modern - Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

Solo with orchestra: Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 2
Duet: Handel - Passacaglia [Violin and Viola] Just a note, this recording isn't the greatest, but it's absolutely my most favorite duet.
String: Gustav Holst - St. Paul's Suite - I. Jig
Full: Red Poppy - Russian Sailor's Dance

Hope I helped some.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 07-19-2004 11:56:31 PM
quote:
Ares's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Bach, preformed by the late Canadian pianistm Glen Gould

Yes, his Goldberg Variations are amazing.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-20-2004 02:00:55 AM
Also, if you like classical guitar I would recommend ANYTHING from Christopher Parkening or Andre Segovia (deceased teacher of Parkening).
http://www.bloodfin.net
Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 07-20-2004 02:24:02 AM
quote:
Addy had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Stuff

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-20-2004 01:43:25 PM
http://www.digitallyimported.com
bottom of page for classical stream.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-20-2004 01:50:36 PM
A few orchestral ones that you might like, if you like a big, brassy kind of piece:

Mahler Symphony I
Bruckner Symphony II
Janacek Symphonetta
Stravinski Right of Spring

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 07-22-2004 07:55:52 PM
Pardon the delay, I was out of town.

Anyway, thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I realize my request was pretty vague, but that's because I really don't know enough about the genre to have much preference. I'll browse through the pieces you listed, and try to look up anything associated with those I like.

Lesage
APPROVED
posted 07-23-2004 02:17:13 PM
If you're in a violin mood, Joshua Bell is one of the best players I've EVER heard. 'Course he's mostly solo, but generally he'll have an accompaniment of other strings or maybe even a full orchestra. Very beautiful. And if you want some voice along with your music I suggest "Mi Mancherai" by Josh Groban and Joshua Bell. Some INCREDIBLE violin work in it (and Josh Groban's voice ain't to shabby *understatement*).

My personal favorite composer is Vivaldi (always has some wonderful sharp rhythms, a bitch to play sometimes but FUN to listen to).

Premarital sex isn't worth it! You can catch AIDS, or cancer, or testicle weevils, or a bad body image or rickets. You know what IS worth it? Making love to Jesus. Because you can't knock Him up and He'll never ask what you're thinking – cuz He already knows!
^^Good times there!

Still always, Not-Dude.

Peter
Pancake
posted 07-23-2004 04:44:01 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Addy:

Modern - Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

The version from HomeWorld was awesome. Trying to find my cd software, WMP will only let you record a WMA file.

indegloriafeestbeest
Not Smart
posted 07-23-2004 04:47:01 PM
if you like some lighter classical....how's about some mozart,and the ever favorite Verdi,can't beat Nabuco or Aida.....
you're born as a child and you die like a child..... inbetween you have a identitycrisis.....
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: