EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Spain is planning something very cute.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-17-2004 02:37:41 AM
quote:
Don Quixote to Ride Again on Cosmic Rescue Mission

By Jeremy Lovell

LONDON (Reuters) - Mythical Spanish knight Don Quixote, famed for charging at windmills he mistakes for enemies, is to ride again on a cosmic mission to save the world.

The European Space Agency has given high priority to a Spanish project which aims to attack an approaching asteroid to see whether spacecraft can deflect a body that may in future be on a collision course with earth.

Two craft will set out -- one named after the valiant knight of Cervantes' classic tale, the other after his long-suffering servant Sancho Panza.

Spacecraft Sancho will circle the chosen asteroid while the other -- aping its literary namesake -- smashes headlong into the target.

The orbiting Sancho and earth-based telescopes will watch closely to see what, if any, effect the impact has on the speed and direction of the asteroid.

At the same time Sancho, being in orbit around the asteroid, will be able to detect fragments thrown from it by the impact and get a glimpse of its internal structure.

"It will tell us how the target responds to an impact," said Alan Harris, Chairman of the Near-Earth Object Mission Advisory Panel (NEOMAP).

"If you think about the chain of events between detecting a hazardous object and doing something about it, there is one area in which we have no experience at all and that is in directly interacting with an asteroid, trying to alter its orbit."

Astronomers are aware of the devastating effect an asteroid impact had on the world's dinosaurs 65 million years ago and have so far found just over 1,000 large space objects that might one day collide with the earth.

Although there is no suggestion that a kamikaze-style spacecraft impact on an asteroid would destroy the threat, it may generate the relatively small amount of energy scientists think would be enough to nudge it off course.

If all goes to plan, the Quixote mission could launch between 2010 and 2015, the space agency said.

Betcha when they do this it knocks what would have been a harmless asteroid directly on a flight path for Earth.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Dionysus
Pancake
posted 07-17-2004 02:51:16 AM
Cervantes put Don Quixote in a fool's light.

I didn't appreciate that.

nnioR~

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-17-2004 12:09:37 PM
quote:
Dionysus had this to say about Robocop:

nnioR~

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 07-17-2004 06:20:05 PM
quote:
Dionysus impressed everyone with:

nnioR~

Why another account? Isn't 10 enough?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-17-2004 06:37:19 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop probably says this to all the girls:
Betcha when they do this it knocks what would have been a harmless asteroid directly on a flight path for Earth.

That would be a cool way for mankind to die.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 07-17-2004 06:57:00 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about (_|_):
Why another account? Isn't 10 enough?

Could have just changed his name.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: