EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Senate votes to block gay marriage amendment
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-14-2004 04:47:37 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A49537-2004Jul14%20¬Found=true

Looks like for now, there wont be any constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages. I was surprised and glad to see that some Republican senators voted to kill it.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-14-2004 04:48:08 PM
This makes me very happy.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-14-2004 04:55:06 PM
I always chuckle a little when I hear things like "the institution of marriage is in jeopardy if opened to gays". Divorce rate's like 50%, right? IMHO, this is like trying to fog up the portholes, when the leak is on the other side of the sinking ship entirely. apologies for the obtuse metaphor.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Zair
The Imp
posted 07-14-2004 04:58:46 PM
I watched Hillary Clinton on CSPAN give a pretty good speech on the ammendment in congress yesterday. She brought up moogle's divorce point, among other things.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 07-14-2004 05:01:20 PM
Wow.

I have to say, I am happily suprised by this.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 07-14-2004 05:03:03 PM
seperation of chruch and state? who came up with that stupid notion!
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Dionysus
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 06:08:48 PM
Change will come about eventually.

This is a decent step forward.

nnioR~

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-14-2004 06:09:52 PM
quote:
diadem's fortune cookie read:
seperation of chruch and state? who came up with that stupid notion!

In the way people around here like to claim? No one.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-14-2004 06:13:14 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about dark elf butts:

Legislating morality is wrong no matter how you slice it. And no, homosexual marriage is not akin to other things based upon 'morals' such as murder

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 06:24:41 PM
Gaytastic!
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 07-14-2004 06:59:15 PM
There's hope yet!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-14-2004 07:04:37 PM
I long for the day when the government stops marrying people and only gives out civil unions.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-14-2004 08:16:55 PM
quote:
Kegwen's little brother wrote this stupid shit:
Legislating morality is wrong no matter how you slice it. And no, homosexual marriage is not akin to other things based upon 'morals' such as murder

Reminds me of a quote from bash.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

It applies well in most (MOST. NOT ALL.) cases.

Maradon!
posted 07-14-2004 08:38:28 PM
quote:
Azizzaing:

Nobody ever promised anyone the right to a fair trial, either.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-14-2004 09:01:10 PM
<------- =

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 09:02 PM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-14-2004 10:00:14 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:
Nobody ever promised anyone the right to a fair trial, either.

You mean except the founding fathers through the constitution?

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 07-14-2004 10:04:09 PM
That's better!
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-14-2004 10:28:26 PM
I loved that not only could they not get the 67 votes to pass an amendment, they couldn't get the 60 votes to move the bill on to allow debate and voting on the bill. Hell, they couldn't even get a simple majority on the vote.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-14-2004 10:31:01 PM
Oh I would also like to chime in that I do oppose an Amendment banning Gay marriage. I feel the constitution is for much more important matters. I would also oppose an amendment allowing Gay marriages. To me either is the constitutional equivalent of a frivolous lawsuit.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 07-14-2004 10:40:39 PM
Better start bunkering up on batteries. Society's about to crumble.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 07-15-2004 02:49:05 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Azizza!
Oh I would also like to chime in that I do oppose an Amendment banning Gay marriage. I feel the constitution is for much more important matters. I would also oppose an amendment allowing Gay marriages. To me either is the constitutional equivalent of a frivolous lawsuit.

From what I can tell there would be no need for an amendment on the For side, being that it's already covered indirectly under some of the more general stuff.

Maradon!
posted 07-15-2004 03:00:00 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Azizza booooze lime pole over bench lick:
You mean except the founding fathers through the constitution?

The right to a fair trial is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution, just like separation of church and state is not.

It IS implied in the constitution, just like separation of church and state is implied in the first amendment.

Maradon!
posted 07-15-2004 03:06:49 AM
IE.

The sixth amendment:

quote:
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

"Right to a fair trial" is found nowhere in this passage, but is guaranteed by it none the less.

The first amendment

quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

"Separation of church and state" is found nowhere in this passage, but is guaranteed by it none the less.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-15-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 07-15-2004 03:41:20 AM
As for seperation of church and state...

quote:
From FindLaw.com:
''The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between church and State.'''

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 07-15-2004 at 03:47 AM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-15-2004 09:24:11 AM
YOu all do realize that especially early on, the Constitution and especially the BIll or Rights, had no impact on state law. Many states did have a State sanctioned religion. And I believe some of the laws are still on the books. Not saying I agree with it. Just that it happened that way.

And Maradon. It is a much further stretch to say that the 5th Amendment does not guarantee a fair trail than it is to say that the 1st amendment erects a wall of separation between the church and state.

Maradon!
posted 07-15-2004 10:07:19 AM
quote:
x--AzizzaO-('-'Q) :
YOu all do realize that especially early on, the Constitution and especially the BIll or Rights, had no impact on state law.

So now you're suggesting that it's OK to violate the constitution so long as it's at the state level?

If any state passes an unconstitutional law and attempts to try someone for violating it, the supreme court will shut it down anyways.

quote:
And Maradon. It is a much further stretch to say that the 5th Amendment does not guarantee a fair trail than it is to say that the 1st amendment erects a wall of separation between the church and state.

No, not really.

Any integration of church and state would directly violate that statement.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: