EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Comic: Sore Thumbs
Ryuujin
posted 07-13-2004 12:02:11 AM
A pretty funny read if you're bored. Plus Coleman is great

http://www.sorethumbsonline.com/d/20040308.html

That links to the first comic.

Dionysus
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 12:04:55 AM
I've been reading for a while now. Great comic.

It just makes you want to go drown people in their own soup.

nnioR~

Maradon!
posted 07-13-2004 12:16:32 AM
Big titty anime girls: Good

Big titty anime girls who never, ever get naked: Bad

Byrnie
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 12:42:08 AM
Why is this furry midget molesting me.

Best

EVER

Pair and Rena
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 01:16:36 AM
ya, been reading it for some time, disturbingly intertaningly

I like it

Maradon!
posted 07-13-2004 03:10:30 AM
wow, and as I read on I find that it's also full of wantonly uninformed liberal satire and stereotyping.

And yet I keep reading in the naieve hope that the chick with big tits is going to take off her shirt at some point.

I hate this comic a lot.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 07-13-2004 12:42:09 PM
quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:
wow, and as I read on I find that it's also full of wantonly uninformed liberal satire and stereotyping.

And yet I keep reading in the naieve hope that the chick with big tits is going to take off her shirt at some point.

I hate this comic a lot.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 12:45:34 PM
I only read the first 10 or so, but I didn't see any political reference at all. Does it change into a politcal comic or something?
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-13-2004 12:57:46 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:

I hate this comic a lot.

Closest you get so far is the first panel in this one: Sore Thumbs

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-13-2004 01:03:23 PM
When did thinly disguised political rancor get reclassified as "humor"?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-13-2004 01:05:43 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Darius!:
I only read the first 10 or so, but I didn't see any political reference at all. Does it change into a politcal comic or something?

Uh, the very first one has nothing except political references as its basis. There's not even a joke or funny situation to disguise it.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-13-2004 01:06:21 PM
There is a distinct lack of funny here.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 01:06 PM.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-13-2004 01:10:00 PM
quote:
So quoth Bloodsage:
When did thinly disguised political rancor get reclassified as "humor"?

Yeah, the whole comic is full of vitriol. There isn't any funny to be found.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-13-2004 01:13:50 PM
Coleman the Dwarf Bear is cute though. ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Maradon!
posted 07-13-2004 01:18:06 PM
quote:
x--Darius!O-('-'Q) :

Gee, let's take a look here

Episode 1

Main character is portrayed as a righteous bush hater, mother is portrayed as a drunken, irrational moron who condones the random murder of "suspicious people" and also happens to support Bush.

Nope, no unfounded political assertations here!

Episode 2

Paints Bush supporters as pro-censorship (which, incidentally, is a complete fabrication), mother acts wantonly greedy and hateful, has a martini or cigarette in front of her face in every panel, and fawningly mentions Joe Lieberman.

Hay, you're right, this isn't an idiotic political comic at all!

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-13-2004 01:19:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Paints Bush supporters as pro-censorship (which, incidentally, is a complete fabrication)

Oh come now, it may not be true of ALL Bush supporters, but we all know that the vast majority of soccer moms are pro-Bush and pro-censorship

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 01:20 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-13-2004 01:24:16 PM
quote:
Kegwen impressed everyone with:
Oh come now, it may not be true of ALL Bush supporters, but we all know that the vast majority of soccer moms are pro-Bush and pro-censorship

I'm really hoping you just forgot to use the "Funny" or "Lie" tags, and your sarcasm thus went unmarked.

Maradon!
posted 07-13-2004 01:26:21 PM
quote:
Kegwening:

Well yeah, if you blindly believe the stereotype that liberal media like this stuffs down your throat, then sure.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 07-13-2004 01:54:52 PM
Why don't you just watch some more fox news, the loud man will make the pain go away.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Darius!
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 02:01:31 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
Gee, let's take a look here

Episode 1

Main character is portrayed as a righteous bush hater, mother is portrayed as a drunken, irrational moron who condones the random murder of "suspicious people" and also happens to support Bush.

Nope, no unfounded political assertations here!

Episode 2

Paints Bush supporters as pro-censorship (which, incidentally, is a complete fabrication), mother acts wantonly greedy and hateful, has a martini or cigarette in front of her face in every panel, and fawningly mentions Joe Lieberman.

Hay, you're right, this isn't an idiotic political comic at all!

I could go on, but you get the idea.

There are people like that out there.

Maradon!
posted 07-13-2004 02:12:38 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Darius! booooze lime pole over bench lick:
There are people like that out there.

Whether there are or not is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

The fact that this comic chooses to portray a struggle between a noble, liberal activist and her extreme fundamentalist conservative mom and brother makes it a political comic. The fact that it uses unfounded stereotypes rather than established arguments makes it a hateful and uninformed one at that.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-13-2004 02:18:26 PM
Webcomics have to be funny or tell some sort of story worth reading. This does neither, so it can only be called crap. *nods*
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 05:19:30 PM
To me it seemed..

as if somebody erased the text from the original, and added in thier own storyline. The characters expressions and all did not seem to reflect the story much at all.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Zair
The Imp
posted 07-13-2004 05:41:17 PM
I agree with what the two Tals posted above.

I add nothing to this thread

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-13-2004 05:49:21 PM
I poked through it a bit just to laugh *at* the comic, not with.

Most of it I skipped through until I found segments of Coleman pissing people off. Coleman rocks.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 07-13-2004 05:53:56 PM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:
Big titty anime girls: Good

Big titty anime girls who never, ever get naked: Bad

hey Mara, this NOT SAFE FOR WORK PICTURE is pretty close to what you wanted.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 07-13-2004 05:56:42 PM
Comics with too much politics are t.eh s uck.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-13-2004 06:17:59 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee impressed everyone with:
hey Mara, this NOT SAFE FOR WORK PICTURE is pretty close to what you wanted.

"Bwahahahha"

Poe can be such a dick sometimes.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-13-2004 06:25:35 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Well yeah, if you blindly believe the stereotype that liberal media like this stuffs down your throat, then sure.

Or you could stop making assumptions

First off, a webcomic does not count towards your evidence of liberal bias in the media. So you can drop that. Whether it exists or not is also irrelevant to this thread, so you don't have to shove all these research links down my throat, either.

Second, I live in the southeast. I know soccer moms like this. I've heard many of them express their opinions in very loud ways IN PERSON. NOT THROUGH A MEDIA SERVICE. They exist. En masse.

Each side of the political spectrum has accusations to fall back on, and liberal bias is typically the conservative's first jab. No need to be so predictable.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 06:26 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-13-2004 06:33:17 PM
This comic can't make up its mind as to whether it's an anime, gamer or political comic.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 07-13-2004 06:48:20 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:

*twitches* Uh.. soccormoms arn't a stereotype by the liberal media...

They exist, I've delt with them.. and it makes me cringe...

They are *all over* here...

And mind you, I have no tv, see no news broadcasts, don't really read the newspaper... And am usually exposed to the news thingers you guys (as in, the conservitives on the boards) post... I hardly see where I'm blindly following the stereotype from a liberal media. All my views on soccormoms are from experiences.

AS FOR THE COMIC:

I have to go with Kat here.. the bear is cute...
Granted, you get what you want out of this comic. If you find all the political bashing and stereotyping funny, then it's funny. If it offends you, then you're offended. *shrugs*

Personaly typecasting voices helped me read through it.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-14-2004 09:07:01 AM
quote:
Verily, Kegwen doth proclaim:
Or you could stop making assumptions

First off, a webcomic does not count towards your evidence of liberal bias in the media. So you can drop that. Whether it exists or not is also irrelevant to this thread, so you don't have to shove all these research links down my throat, either.

Second, I live in the southeast. I know soccer moms like this. I've heard many of them express their opinions in very loud ways IN PERSON. NOT THROUGH A MEDIA SERVICE. They exist. En masse.

Each side of the political spectrum has accusations to fall back on, and liberal bias is typically the conservative's first jab. No need to be so predictable.

And whining about the evil nonexistent soccor moms is the clueless liberal's first resort--I guess you're both even, now.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-14-2004 02:09:55 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mr. Parcelan camp:
This comic can't make up its mind as to whether it's an anime, gamer or political comic.

I started reading it because I thought it was one of the first two. I got bored of it because it started delving too much into the third.

Chris Crosby, the writer, has fairly... strong political opinions, I guess is the way to say it. He went into a bigass rant on his website regarding the california situation with the recall and Arnold.

I quote his rant...

quote:
LIVE IN CALIFORNIA? GO VOTE "NO" ON THE RECALL AND "YES" ON ANYONE BUT A REPUBLICAN RIGHT NOW!
October 7, 2003

CRAZIEST THING EVER SAID: "I know that the people of California can see through this trash politics. Let me tell you something, let me tell you something. A lot of those that you see in the stories is not true, but at the same time, I have to tell you that I always say, that wherever there is smoke, there is fire. That is true. So I want to say to you, yes, that I have behaved badly sometimes. Yes, it is true that I was on rowdy movie sets and I have done things that were not right which I thought then was playful but now I recognize that I have offended people." -Arnold Schwarzenegger (Oct. 1, 2003)

Yowsa! He even allegedly sexually-assaulted TWO women on the "rowdy movie set" where TWINS was shot! Is Danny DeVito too scared to speak out?

YOU FAILED ME, CALIFORNIA.
October 8, 2003

If Arnold helps Bush steal California, it's all your fault. Jerks.

I used to like reading Superosity, but it just wasn't funny. I started reading Sore Thumbs because I was hoping for a new gaming comic, but... =/

Khyron fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-14-2004 03:52:13 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:
And whining about the evil nonexistent soccor moms is the clueless liberal's first resort--I guess you're both even, now.

They exist. It's not hard to comprehend, especially for someone as intelligent as you. Just because you have never met one doesn't mean they don't exist. You should know that. I know plenty of them. Several of my friends' mothers are pretty close to if not dead on with the 'soccer mom' stereotype.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-14-2004 04:35:29 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Duck Tales:
They exist. It's not hard to comprehend, especially for someone as intelligent as you. Just because you have never met one doesn't mean they don't exist. You should know that. I know plenty of them. Several of my friends' mothers are pretty close to if not dead on with the 'soccer mom' stereotype.

Ah, now I understand.

The stereotypes you use are perfectly valide because you think you know a couple of people who fit them, but anyone else using a generalization is guilty of flawed logic and bias.

Makes perfect sense.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-14-2004 05:01:19 PM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
Ah, now I understand.

The stereotypes you use are perfectly valide because you think you know a couple of people who fit them, but anyone else using a generalization is guilty of flawed logic and bias.

Makes perfect sense.

Sure. Whatever. I had a reply here before my power went out, but it doesn't matter. No matter what I said, I'd get the same reply.

I realize this is a lame cop-out, but what do you care? This means less typing for you! Rejoice!

Pair and Rena
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 06:20:24 PM
*shrug*

I read it for:

-THe art

-THe fact that he is unstable in his plot and twist left and right as he bloody like (I;m not talking bout the politics here)

-And there's a bear.

It's not my Favoret comic, but I read it, it burns 5 seconds of my life

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: