EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: To quote nem-x..."ohshi"
Ryuujin
posted 07-06-2004 08:59:44 AM
A federal appeals court last week ruled that an e-mail provider did the break the law when he copied his customer's e-mails and read them.

The full article can be found:http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,64094,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

To me, this is such a gross violation of privacy. I can't believe the federal courts don't see anything wrong with the fact that this e-mail provider was reading his customer's private e-mails. I'm also personally fearful that many e-mail providers will use this as an excuse to read their customer's e-mails. Watch what you write.

Feel free to post your thoughts or discuss any points.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2004 09:26:06 AM
It sounds like they didn't have much choice in that ruling, given the wording of the Wiretap Act.
Maradon!
posted 07-06-2004 10:45:28 AM
It's been widely known that email was a tremendously insecure medium of communication ever since it's inception. Hell, if you use cable internet service, anyone on your block with a packet sniffer can read your email, but that's beside the point.

Email is nothing more than a service provided by a private company. The level of privacy attributed to that service depends entirely upon that service provider, and they are under no obligation to provide any level of privacy at all.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-06-2004 11:08:04 AM
A lot of companies that have you working on sensitive stuff use internal intranet stuff. Or encoded file transfers where what you're sending is ciphered up.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-06-2004 06:53:00 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
Email is nothing more than a service provided by a private company. The level of privacy attributed to that service depends entirely upon that service provider, and they are under no obligation to provide any level of privacy at all.

This is the key part. As a company providing service I can state that I have the right to do whatever I damn well please with data on my systems. This isn't limited to just email, but to web data, ftp storage, anything that is on my systems. I can also put in a clause to let me sniff your traffic at will (depending on the wording I may or may not have to prove that it was "accidental discovery during routine maintence") meaning anything not encrypted (web surfing, blog entries, IRC sessions, IM sessions) is fair game to be read. Some service providers actually have this in their User Agreement and worse, they deny you the ability to use Cryptographic means to secure your traffic/email/data. You're caught using SSH to connect to a server at the office to restart the web server? Tough shit, you violated the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) and we can terminate the account.

As a private company offering services, there's a SHITLOAD of things that can be done that you agreed to the instant you signed up for the account... chek the AUP for your own ISP sometime and see if they state that email is confidential or if encrypted data streams are allowed... I've discontinued service with a company in the past over the Crypto bit...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-06-2004 06:57:44 PM
quote:
Ryuujin probably says this to all the girls:
To me, this is such a gross violation of privacy. I can't believe the federal courts don't see anything wrong with the fact that this e-mail provider was reading his customer's private e-mails.

Technically, they're the email providers private emails.

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 07-06-2004 08:16:41 PM
quote:
Ryuujin had this to say about Captain Planet:
A federal appeals court last week ruled that an e-mail provider did the break the law when he copied his customer's e-mails and read them.

I was kinda confused about what you were getting upset about, until I realized that you replaced 'not' with 'the' before 'break the law'
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-06-2004 08:23:05 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Random Insanity Generator wrote:
This is the key part. As a company providing service I can state that I have the right to do whatever I damn well please with data on my systems. This isn't limited to just email, but to web data, ftp storage, anything that is on my systems. I can also put in a clause to let me sniff your traffic at will (depending on the wording I may or may not have to prove that it was "accidental discovery during routine maintence") meaning anything not encrypted (web surfing, blog entries, IRC sessions, IM sessions) is fair game to be read. Some service providers actually have this in their User Agreement and worse, they deny you the ability to use Cryptographic means to secure your traffic/email/data. You're caught using SSH to connect to a server at the office to restart the web server? Tough shit, you violated the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) and we can terminate the account.

As a private company offering services, there's a SHITLOAD of things that can be done that you agreed to the instant you signed up for the account... chek the AUP for your own ISP sometime and see if they state that email is confidential or if encrypted data streams are allowed... I've discontinued service with a company in the past over the Crypto bit...

Spooky

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: