EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cosby to other Blacks: STFU
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-03-2004 12:33:15 PM
At least if you are uneducated and think the world owes you something.

I must say the man keeps winning points in my eyes. He pretty much says what I feel.

Azizza fucked around with this message on 07-03-2004 at 12:34 PM.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Lashanna
noob
posted 07-03-2004 12:36:12 PM
Gotta say, I pretty much agree with him...
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-03-2004 12:36:51 PM
I think the weirdest thing about this was that Jesse Jackson, of all people, agreed with Cosby. One would've expected JJ to rip into him.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-03-2004 12:41:48 PM
I cannot even begin to imagine what would have happened if a white man had said those exact same words, heh

I agree fully with him, Bill rocks

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-03-2004 12:42:19 PM
Yeah I was kinda surprised at that as well and meant to say something in my original post. I figured he would have tore down Cosby for the comments. It has me wondering what he is up to.
Mod
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 12:44:21 PM
I agree with him, even without the race factor, who would want to hire a worker that would talk to their customers in gangsta speak?
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-03-2004 12:48:10 PM
quote:
Azizza stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Yeah I was kinda surprised at that as well and meant to say something in my original post. I figured he would have tore down Cosby for the comments. It has me wondering what he is up to.

I've heard that occasionally JJ does go into rants like this, but they're rare and they often get covered up pretty quickly. It shows that the man isn't a complete idiot, but eh... This, obviously, is getting more attention than any of those rants and that's why it surprised me he agreed.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 07-03-2004 01:31:06 PM
I've been a long time fan of Cosby. I completely agree with him, and I'm glad he's still trying to improve things and help within the black community.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-03-2004 01:58:24 PM
The man just commands respect. At the risk of sounding extremely white (I am ), I think it's what the black community needed to hear.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-03-2004 02:13:24 PM
Yes.
Gadani
U
posted 07-03-2004 02:17:15 PM
quote:
Verily, Kegwen doth proclaim:
Yes.

Those damn smilies get really annoying.

On a lighter note...

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-03-2004 02:29:14 PM
His original rant on the Tavis Smiley show was much better.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 07-03-2004 02:38:50 PM
As someone said...his rants don't really pertain to just blacks.

If you're trailer trash, it doesn't really matter what race you are.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-03-2004 02:54:23 PM
quote:
Gadani stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Those damn smilies get really annoying.

On a lighter note...

Gadani
U
posted 07-03-2004 03:02:51 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about pies:

Gravity'sAngel
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 04:02:00 PM
Very well put. Of course, some are going to say he's a sell-out, but hey - the truth hurts sometimes.
Still refusing to play WoW.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 05:24:21 PM
quote:
Azizza came out of the closet to say:
It has me wondering what he is up to.

Because acknowledging a liberal has reasonable viewpoints would totally destroy your world view.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-03-2004 05:26:49 PM
quote:
Drysart stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Because acknowledging a liberal has reasonable viewpoints would totally destroy your world view.

Since when has Jessie Jackson had a reasonable Viewpoint?

Drysart
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 05:30:15 PM
quote:
Azizza came out of the closet to say:
Since when has Jessie Jackson had a reasonable Viewpoint?

He's a liberal. Obviously everything he says and thinks is crazy.

Maradon!
posted 07-03-2004 05:39:24 PM
quote:
Drysarting:
He's a liberal. Obviously everything he says and thinks is crazy.

You chide Azizza by stating that liberals are always wrong when you and I know well that no liberal can ever be wrong! Har har!

Everyone who criticizes Jesse Jackson is only doing so because he's a liberal, ain't that right?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-03-2004 05:40:13 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
Everyone who criticizes Jesse Jackson is only doing so because he's a liberal, ain't that right?

It usually seems that way unless the person is being specific.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-03-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-03-2004 05:53:43 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about John Romero:

Jesse Jackson is probably trying to get his public image straight. He's had some problems with accusations of demanding money from people to avoid being branded black-haters. (Look up information on Jesse Jackson vs NASCAR for more details.)

Personally I think Jackson needs to disappear from the spotlight for a little while. Let some other positive black role model carry the weight for a time. If Cosby wants to step up, let him. It's not like this is a new standpoint for him. In all his years of comedy, from Fat Albert to the Cosby Show to his comedy albums talking about raising his kids and so forth, there's always been the undercurrent that people have to get an education, have to live morally and ethically. The black community in the 80's called him a sell-out because he had a popular show on a major network that didn't depict life in the ghetto. Yeah. Martin Lawrence's show, Queen Latifah's show, they really showed how things were. Bullshit. There's nothing funny about dying in a driveby or with a needle in your arm, or being so ignorant you can't comprehend how fucked up things are. Bill Cosby wasn't ignoring the problem; he was trying to show an alternative.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-03-2004 06:04:47 PM
This is even more interesting when you consider that Cosby was one of the angriest black activists back in the 60s.
Snoota
posted 07-03-2004 06:34:45 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Alidane wrote:
As someone said...his rants don't really pertain to just blacks.

Uhh.. yes they do. The entire basis of his rants were that black people fought and sometimes died back in the 50s and 60s for the rights that the modern black family is squandering.

And the fact that forty years after the civil right's act was signed, the black community by large is still saying it's the evil white man holding him down.

Snoota fucked around with this message on 07-03-2004 at 06:36 PM.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 08:09:55 PM
quote:
Maradon! came out of the closet to say:

No, only zealots.

Lurker007
Pancake
posted 07-03-2004 08:13:20 PM
I just wonder why he was wearing those Ray charles dark glasses when he was talking. I know it doesnt really matter but it struck me as odd.

Now that he has said it, what if anything (hopefully) will change?

to err is human to forgive devine
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-03-2004 08:49:45 PM
quote:
Drysart attempted to be funny by writing:
No, only zealots.

I am amused that someone who is probably as much of a left wing Zealot as is possible without being a Marxist, is accusing others of being Right wing Zealots because they support Bush, gun ownership, or just don't like idiots like Jessie Jackson.

Azizza fucked around with this message on 07-03-2004 at 08:50 PM.

Snoota
posted 07-04-2004 12:31:39 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about (_|_):
I am amused that someone who is probably as much of a left wing Zealot as is possible without being a Marxist, is accusing others of being Right wing Zealots because they support Bush, gun ownership, or just don't like idiots like Jessie Jackson.

Drysart supports gun rights, last I heard.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 07-04-2004 01:44:18 AM
quote:
Snoota came out of the closet to say:
Drysart supports gun rights, last I heard.

I'm also rather conservative fiscally. I just place more weight on the social matters and foreign policy views that I'm more liberal on. But since I'm not hard-right gung-ho conservative in all things at all times, I guess I'm a damn dirty Marxist.

Drysart fucked around with this message on 07-04-2004 at 01:45 AM.

Snoota
posted 07-04-2004 02:11:13 AM
sig test
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-04-2004 02:28:48 AM
I like Bill Cosby. He is good people.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-04-2004 05:25:24 AM
OMG, the boards are in the hands of a dirty communist!
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: