EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Spyware
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 07-01-2004 08:56:14 PM
I know it's been asked before, but I couldn't find the threads.

Anyway, what are some free programs to get rid of spyware and the like?

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-01-2004 08:58:37 PM
Downloads.com

Search for Adaware and spybot. I use both and each always finds somethign the other missed.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Mod
Pancake
posted 07-01-2004 09:11:00 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Azizza said this:
<A HREF="http:www.downloads.com//" TARGET=_blank>Downloads.com</A>

Search for Adaware and spybot. I use both and each always finds somethign the other missed.

If both don't help search for HijackThis on that site and post the program's output.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 07-02-2004 01:05:38 AM
You may also want to get CWSShredder. It gets rid of some particuarlly nasty Browser Helper Object spyware infections that neither adaware or spybot detect, much less get rid of.

Info about and tool to remove CWS here

And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 07-02-2004 01:21:01 AM
If you have the nasty little shit that hit IE recently, you're gonna have to go into Safe Mode and do some removing in Regedit. It's a nasty little fuck that SpyBot, Ad-Aware and HijackThis can't get rid of for you. But those are good programs.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 07-02-2004 01:36:12 AM
It's Download.com, not Downloads.com
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-02-2004 07:42:54 AM
Yarr, the new CWS version is friggin nasty. My little brother got it and it took me several hours to fix it. Spybot, Adaware, and CWSShredder won't clear it fully, and Hijack this only catches one of the three files to be deleted. You'll need to delete these three files, one of which you'll have to boot into safe mode under an admin account (or a different admin account if you already run in one) to delete. Its more akin to a virus than spyware.
Razor
posted 07-02-2004 09:45:34 AM
*notes that a trojan found his computer.... and it got caught with AVG...* Wonder if this could be the installer....
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-02-2004 12:17:48 PM
What is it that sets my homepage to your-finder.com? I use all three spyware thingies (including Hijack This) and I delete the stuff, but it keeps coming back! Argh!
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-02-2004 12:21:33 PM
Otaku, what does it set the homepage to? Is it about:blank with a search page?

Edit: Actually, I think its the one that I just described. Do a search for about:blank CWSShreder on google to find out how to fix it. Its a bitch.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 07-02-2004 at 12:28 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: