EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why didn't somone tell me about this?
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-01-2004 09:00:53 AM
Blade Trinity looks bad ass. The preview had most of the theater cheering.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 07-01-2004 09:06:44 AM
It looks like it will have lots of action in it, I don't know if I would go so far to call it "badass". Blade 2 was pretty ... uhm.. you know.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-01-2004 09:07:57 AM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Blindy on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Blindy...
Blade 2 was pretty ... uhm.. you know.
I haven't seen Blade 2, so I don't know.

`splain, Lucy.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 07-01-2004 09:13:44 AM
crap-tastic?
fuck-spacular?
incredulously idiotic?

Weasly Snipes produced it, and you can tell. It's pretty much just a showcase for how much of a badass he is. Blade 1 was a good movie. Blade 2 is only good if you are only there for action.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 07-01-2004 at 09:14 AM.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 07-01-2004 11:10:33 AM
quote:
Blindy had this to say about John Romero:
Blade 1 was a good movie. Blade 2 is only good if you are only there for action.

The blade (now trilogy) is definatly a set of drinking game movies, and bound to become someone's dirty little secret, sorta the same way as owning Suburban Commando is.

~That which yields, is not always weak~
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-01-2004 11:31:14 AM
Could they possibly make that site more seizure-inducing than it already is?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-01-2004 12:04:53 PM
Good: They're introducing Hannibal King (more on this in a moment) and the idea of the "Nightstalkers"

Bad: They de-vampired Hannibal King, and they added "Whistler's Daughter". Fuck.

Ugly: Is that Egypt in the one part? Or Mars? Please tell me this isn't space vampires. Oh and "Van Wilder" guy as Hannibal may or may not be the suck.

The Skinny:

Sherman, set the way-back machine for the 1970's. Monster comics were all the rage, and from it you get House of Dracula. House of Dracula is a horror comic to end all horror comics. Vampires everywhere. Very "Tales from the Crypt" like (mainly because Ed Gaines and his posse stopped doing Tales from the Crypt, Haunt of Fear, etc, and went on to write Mad Magazine).

Amongst the few protagonist survivors is a character called Blade. Blade is not very much like his movie counterpart, but that's okay because comic book Blade sucks ass. No guns, he got his "name" from the fact he uses (get this) wooden knives. I shit you not. Blade's beef with vampires is tied heavily into the fact that his mother was bitten by a mid-level git named Deacon Frost, and Blade is, essentially, a half-vampire (kinda like Vampire Hunter D, who was born from the Japanese side of the Monster comic fad of the 70's).

Blade is assisted by a former police detective named Hannibal King, who was turned into a vampire. (For those keeping track at home, Blade is half-vampire, Hannibal is full-on vampire.) Hannibal was a tragic character; there was (and is) no cure for vampirism, he didn't want to be turned, and every night of his existence is a fight to stay away from people at large, and to at the same time retain as much of his humanity as possible. He made an excellent foil for Blade, who was a very furious, "angry young man" type black character prevalent in the 70's.

The pair had a number of romps into the 80's, when the so-called "Montessi Formula" (essentially an arcane spell) was recovered. It represented nothing shy of a spell designed to obliterate all vampires everywhere on the face of the Earth. Dr Strange (the Sorcerer Supreme of Marvel Earth) cast the spell, end of supernatural vampires (not including mutant vampires like Morbius from Spider-Man, etc).

Then in the late 80's, early 90's, basically when the trademark on characters was starting to run out and writers needed new ideas, you see Marvel digging out a lot of their second (and let's be honest) third string characters like Iron Fist, Luke Cage the Power Man, and (*drumroll*) Blade and Hannibal King. The story goes that if a spell can unmake all vampires, another spell that some unthinking git cast could bring the plague back. With vampires back, Blade and King are now dusting off their old gear.

This Blade is much closer to the Wesley Snipes version. Leather outfit, sword, throwing blades. Ditched the old 70's hairstyle, yellow tunic (don't ask), bandolier of wooden knives, and dorky green goggles. King didn't have to change as much. This iteration of the comic didn't last long (just long enough to sell a few issues based on the vampire fad of the early 90's), but it is the basis (in my opinion) for the movies.

Sooooo it's nice to see Hannibal King finally show up in the Blade movies, but it kinda sucks that they drained the essence of the character. Blade 1: Good, Blade 2: Mediocre (except for the explosive bottlecap on Ron Perlman's head...that amused me). Blade 3 looks like Blade 2 at the moment, but it'll be good for a guilty pleasure romp.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 07-01-2004 12:42:37 PM
quote:
Azizza's account was hax0red to write:
Blade Trinity looks bad ass. The preview had most of the theater cheering.

You really didnt know about this? I heard about it before blade 2 even came out.

I have to agree that blade 1 kicked ass compared to 2. The special effects in alot of the fight scenes were just so cheesy and very obviously fake that it ruined the scene. That and I hated the sudden disapperence of the female doctor from the last movie, with no explination.

Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-01-2004 01:45:11 PM
I saw a preview for this while seeing Spiderman 2 last night...

Friend: (with no enthusiasm) "Oh wow, look, Jessica Biel's still alive."
Me: Ehhh, who cares?
Friend: Yeah, exactly.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: