EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A Question of Video Cards
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 06-24-2004 08:40:52 AM
Right, so now that a 2nd game (Thief 3) has been discovered to be unplayable by my cereal box videocard (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440) due to a lack of pixel shading after installing, I have decided that perhaps I should just buy a new one that can actually run games that I want to play.

So I have a few questions...

A) Video cards are simplistic to install correct? Remove old one, insert new one?

B) Anyone happen to know what video cards I should be avoiding, ones that, like my MX440 here, don't have pixel shading or anything else games might deem 'required'?

C) Thoughts on brands? Current one is 64mb, but if the price isn't too drastic, I have no problems buying a better one, a 128mb or whatever. not sure what the options are like brand/make wise, any thoughts/

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 06-24-2004 08:44:44 AM
A: Yes, it really is that simple.

B: Most Cards in the 75-125$ range (US, not Canadian.. I cant count chickens that high) will have everything you need.

C: Whatever is selling best at Newegg, or TigerDirect. It sells well for a reason.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-24-2004 08:49:51 AM
quote:
Vorago stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Right, so now that a 2nd game (Thief 3) has been discovered to be unplayable by my cereal box videocard (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440) due to a lack of pixel shading after installing, I have decided that perhaps I should just buy a new one that can actually run games that I want to play.

So I have a few questions...

A) Video cards are simplistic to install correct? Remove old one, insert new one?

Inside the computer? It depends. That's generally about it, but some cards require a connection to your PSU for more power. It's still pretty easy, though. If you're talking about getting Windows and things to actually use it, then you'll need drivers. You should uninstall your old card's drivers, then the card itself, install the new card, and download the drivers for your new card. Your OS will likely have a driver for your card, as will Windows Update, but the latest can be found at the manufacturer's website.

quote:
B) Anyone happen to know what video cards I should be avoiding, ones that, like my MX440 here, don't have pixel shading or anything else games might deem 'required'?

Well, definitely some of the newer ones. I can't recall exactly at the moment, but I think the Radeon 9X00 series has pixel shading, or at the very least the 9600 or 9800.

quote:
C) Thoughts on brands? Current one is 64mb, but if the price isn't too drastic, I have no problems buying a better one, a 128mb or whatever. not sure what the options are like brand/make wise, any thoughts/

ATi RADEON 9800 shouldn't be too expensive as video cards go. I think I saw a 9600 just recently for $80 - $90, so the 9800 shouldn't be too much more. And yes, those prices are Canadian.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-24-2004 08:55:52 AM
Process for installing video card.

You can ignore steps 1, 2 and 7 if you are staying with nvidia for the new card. If you go to ATI you will need to do them.

1) un-install old video card's drivers.
2) reboot to make sure the un-install worked
3) turn off computer
4) remove old video card
5) install new video card (some newer video cards have an auxilary power plug. if so, plug it into your power supply. only one type of plug will fit the adapter, and it will only fit the correct way, so this is hard to screw up.
6) turn on computer
7) install new driver off cd, then download latest driver off the internet.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-24-2004 12:29:31 PM
quote:
Blindy was listening to Cher while typing:
Process for installing video card.

You can ignore steps 1, 2 and 7 if you are staying with nvidia for the new card. If you go to ATI you will need to do them.

1) un-install old video card's drivers.
2) reboot to make sure the un-install worked
3) turn off computer
4) remove old video card
5) install new video card (some newer video cards have an auxilary power plug. if so, plug it into your power supply. only one type of plug will fit the adapter, and it will only fit the correct way, so this is hard to screw up.
6) turn on computer
7) install new driver off cd, then download latest driver off the internet.

Generally Windows XP will reinstall it when you reboot before you can tell it not to.

Tal: cards in that range suck and are a bad investment in the long run.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-24-2004 12:32:56 PM
Best place to go for computer stuff online in canada is www.ncix.com. It's a computer shop in Vancouver and all prices are Canadian.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 06-24-2004 12:52:49 PM
I just got a new Radeon 9600 Pro 128 mb. I'll be getting a new computer within the next couple months, but my GeForce 2 GTS just wasn't cutting it. It works great and it was only about 100 bucks. I'd definately recommend it, it was a piece of cake to install. Just make sure you ground yourself by touching metal on the computer case before touching any computer parts.

Remember though, if the rest of your system isn't very fast, you won't gain that much from a new video card.

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-24-2004 12:54:12 PM
quote:
Cap'n Elethi had this to say about Cuba:
Just make sure you ground yourself by touching metal on the computer case before touching any computer parts.

I haven't done that ever in my life.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-24-2004 01:03:43 PM
quote:
One thousand monkies on one thousand typewriters would eventually write what Cap'n Elethi said;
Just make sure you touch yourself by grounding metal on the computer case before touching any computer parts.

What what WHAT?!

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-24-2004 01:23:08 PM
quote:
Delidgamond had this to say about pies:
What what WHAT?!

It's good advice. Static electricity could potentially fry something, which is why it's often said to not do work on computers on carpet.

Admittedly, the chances are pretty slim, but better safe than sorry, eh?

Alaan
posted 06-24-2004 01:28:59 PM
I rarely ground myself with the ground-strap I have...but I was taught to use one. Less of an issue in summer anyway because humid air impedes static discharge.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 06-24-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 06-24-2004 01:29:36 PM
I would sujjest finding out what style AGP slot you have if you are useing one. Even though I belive they idiot proofed them, some run at diffrent voltages.

Also my card is a GeForce FX 5600 256mb, has ran everything fine so far, I got for like $100-$80, can'

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 06-24-2004 02:42:05 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I would sujjest finding out what style AGP slot you have if you are useing one. Even though I belive they idiot proofed them, some run at diffrent voltages.

Also my card is a GeForce FX 5600 256mb, has ran everything fine so far, I got for like $100-$80, can'

Don't suppose you ordered that card online somewhere for that price?

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 06-24-2004 02:55:30 PM
quote:
Alidane stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
It's good advice. Static electricity could potentially fry something, which is why it's often said to not do work on computers on carpet.

Admittedly, the chances are pretty slim, but better safe than sorry, eh?

Look at how he reversed the quote. It's very funny.

quote:
Peter had this to say about Cuba:
sujjest

I don't think I've ever seen 'suggest' with two "j"s before... heh.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 06-24-2004 10:19:38 PM
I'd recommend probably either a 5700 or a 9600 minimum. They only go for about $100 and you'll see a huge difference as well as the ability to play everything.

Avoid anything below that. The 5600 might look tempting, but a 5700 will run circles around it. 5200s aren't even worth considering.

Tal NSFW!!
Pancake
posted 06-24-2004 10:33:48 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Captain Planet:
Generally Windows XP will reinstall it when you reboot before you can tell it not to.

Tal: cards in that range suck and are a bad investment in the long run.

To term it an investment, would suggest some beneficial gain in the long run. And as most cards DO cost in that range a few months after release, or at the latest, when the new 500-600$ cards come out, then I dont see your arguement. Its like saying "Wait for the new thing to get cheaper" then, when the new thing gets cheaper, ITS NOT THE NEW THING ANYMORE, so would you just say "Wait for the new thing to get cheaper" again? He's got 2 games he cannot currently play, and as pretty much all cards in that range will have the features he needs, then explain to me how they "Suck".

If you base it on how a newer, more expensive card will save him money in upgrades in the long run, then lemme ask you this.. Is it better to spend 100-125 every 18 months or so? Or better to spend 500 every 2 years?

Had he requested something along the lines of "OMG, what is the best, most expensive, up to the fucking minute video card?" then maybe I would agree with the range I suggested sucking, because it would not be what he wanted. And for his purpose, it would suck. But his purpose, is to play newer games, which can be done on a less than flagship card.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-24-2004 10:39:03 PM
Radeon 9800 Pro = slightly over $200

That would be my recommendation... that's the most I've spent on a video card and I'm quite happy with it.

edit: You're right though, it is definately not a wise investment to be buying the unholy expensive cards just as they come out~

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-24-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Tal NSFW!!
Pancake
posted 06-24-2004 10:45:09 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kegwen said this:
Radeon 9800 Pro = slightly over $200

That would be my recommendation... that's the most I've spent on a video card and I'm quite happy with it.

edit: You're right though, it is definately not a wise investment to be buying the unholy expensive cards just as they come out~

And, its ATI.. and he's canadian.. so he might be able to get support, and those uberleet sekrit canadian drivers...

Now, myself.. I fucking hate ATI for past voilations against my need for support and drivers. This may have changed, but until nVidia does me wrong.. ATI can keep thier cards.

(See, I can have my own delusional bias too.. GLEE! )

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: