EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Heh..looks like Scott has gone off on another rampage...
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-23-2004 04:30:41 PM
PvP-Online

vs.

Spells and Whistles

Katrinity fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 04:34 PM.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 06-23-2004 04:37:27 PM
I dunno, I can sort of see his point. The characters do look awfully similar.
Razor
posted 06-23-2004 04:40:34 PM
Time to go check up on copyright laws.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 06-23-2004 04:42:06 PM
To paraphrase Penny Arcade:

"Who's the one that's an entertaining web comic again?"
"Spells & Whistles."
"And who is it I hate?"
"Scott Kurtz."
"Right."

I don't think it's that big a similarity. There is a stylistic similarity between PA and S&W...but I don't see how Milton resembles any of Kurtz's toons. I figured it was Skull Kurtz was thinking of, but...one's a fairy and one's a troll. They have similar coloring, and they are both, broadly, round and fat, but that's about it.

Gunslinger Moogle fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 04:44 PM.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 06-23-2004 04:45:28 PM
Yeah, that's not to say I completely agree with him. For one, I prefer S&W to PvP and I also think he took it a bit far with the Skull thing.

I don't really feel PvP is really threatened by this so he's taking it a bit too far I think

Niklas fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-23-2004 04:46:10 PM
Copyright Law, the closest I could find that could pretain to this is in section 106A:

(B) to prevent the use of his or her name as the author of any work of visual art which he or she did not create;

(2) shall have the right to prevent the use of his or her name as the author of the work of visual art in the event of a distortion, mutilation, or other modification of the work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation; and

(3) subject to the limitations set forth in section 113(d), shall have the right —

(A) to prevent any intentional distortion, mutilation, or other modification of that work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation, and any intentional distortion, mutilation, or modification of that work is a violation of that right, and

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-23-2004 04:49:53 PM
of which so far, this new guy seems guilty of none of it. He's not take Kurtz name, work or characters and claiming that they're his own creations.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-23-2004 04:50:24 PM
quote:
See, your Katrinity means your hair. So technically it's true.
copyright law entries
That actually sounds like the reverse of the current situation. Kurtz thinks his artwork is being stolen, and another artist is taking credit for it. Those laws describe someone who takes Kurtz's, uses it for some nefarious purpose, and claims Kurtz did it himself.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-23-2004 04:51:57 PM
The red haired chick and the wizard were both blatent rips on jade and brent, but the milton/skull thing is re-god-damn-diculous.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 04:52 PM.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-23-2004 05:02:33 PM
First off, the elf has more personality then brent.

That being said...

On second thought, this is probaly going to be yelled at for being too risky for work..or some crazy ass thing like that

Ohnos! someone's drawing looks to close to mine!!

Oh common, I'm surprised he hasn't gone off about people naming their kids Scott yet.

Trillee fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 05:04 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-23-2004 05:04:39 PM
quote:
Blindy had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
The red haired chick and the wizard were both blatent rips on jade and brent, but the milton/skull thing is re-god-damn-diculous.

Yeah, there are basicly only two similarities between the two characters: They are blue, and they are fat. Thats it.

Blindy
posted 06-23-2004 05:11:43 PM
It doesn't matter what the personality is like. If I made a comic and my two characters were named john and murphy, but looked pretty damn close to Gabe and Tycho, i'm infringing on a copyright.
Maradon!
posted 06-23-2004 05:12:20 PM
quote:
Blindying:
It doesn't matter what the personality is like. If I made a comic and my two characters were named john and murphy, but looked pretty damn close to Gabe and Tycho, i'm infringing on a copyright.

Unless it's a parody.

How do you think tabloids avoid libel claims?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 05:12 PM.

Skaw
posted 06-23-2004 05:22:23 PM
I bet the other comic is secretly done by Kurtz, in an attempt to garner publicity. I mean, it's not like he hasn't done something like that before. Oh wait, he has. The fake guest week.

He's the last person in the world who should be able to cry foul on this subject.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Blindy
posted 06-23-2004 05:22:55 PM
I don't think you would define that comic as parody.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-23-2004 05:27:47 PM
I had to go look through PvP to remind myself of what Skull even looked like since I haven't looked through his comic for so long.

If Milton wasn't blue, they wouldn't even look alike.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-23-2004 05:32:51 PM
Well, on the one hand, it's true that Rakne looks a lot like Jade's D&D character.

On the other hand, this guy actually seems to draw his art, not draw a frame then copy it three times

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-23-2004 05:39:43 PM
Looking through Spells & Whistles again, I wouldn't be suprised if Scott was jumping on Tauhid's ass through out the entire comic's production. IMO, Scott may have been the reason that S&W went from four-frame style to comic book style.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-23-2004 05:43:58 PM

I've been waiting for a chance to post this. Please ignore the first three panels. Focus on the last one.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-23-2004 at 05:45 PM.

Pair and Rena
Pancake
posted 06-23-2004 05:45:16 PM
What a load of ...

I can see why Scott is anoyed, yes, the character do look bit alike ... but thats like blaiming someone that been drawing X-mans for 5 years to draw the Justice League like the X-man ...

It's basicly a style of drawing, and let me tell you, as a artist, when you find a style that works for you, you keep it and evolve it.

What would anoy me more, is not the art, but maybe the fact that one toke the idea of the othere, ok, thats not new in the comic bizz, but as long as he dont COPY the stories, it's like Saying Pepesi is making there drink Taste like Coka cola!

At the end, it's just large childrens that needed to bitch ... and so it is done.

I call it "Digging your own grave" , hopefully, this shit will not happen to me.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-23-2004 05:48:21 PM
When I first saw S&W I said the art style looked like a cross between PvP and PA. Perhaps if Scott Kurtz and whatever names the PA people go by sued together they might have a chance.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-23-2004 06:15:06 PM
I can see the similarities between the characters, but its just a way of drawing. Kurtz is an egotistical arse anyway, and will take this as far as he could. Thank god Spells and Whistles isn't on keen*, or Kurtz would probably campaign to get the comic off the server.

Of course, isn't this rant pretty hypocritical of him? Wasn't he the one who drew up "guest" strips with characters from other comics? Then in the shitstorm afterwards when the "guest" authors found out he removed the comics and pretended like it never happened. Hypocritical bastard.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 06-23-2004 06:28:49 PM
It's easy to tell the difference.

One is funny, and the other is drawn by Scott Kurtz.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-23-2004 07:01:54 PM
OH MY GOD! BLONDE ELF AND A REDHEAD!

The Wildkat and Drysart characters are blatant ripoffs!

Give me a break. Elves are almost always blonde. Red hair is popular for women. Ponytails abound. The purple fat fairy thing is the closest copyright infringement item I can think of. The comic's premise and the character concepts are virtually nothing alike. Spells and Whistles has more in common with Nodwick, KotDT, and Dork Tower than it does with PvP, so Kurtz should get a deep core excavation team to get his wadded panties out of from where they're jammed so far up his ass.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-23-2004 07:05:59 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Punky Brewster:
OH MY GOD! BLONDE ELF AND A REDHEAD!

Give me a break. Elves are almost always blonde. Red hair is popular for women. Ponytails abound. The purple fat fairy thing is the closest copyright infringement item I can think of. The comic's premise and the character concepts are virtually nothing alike. Spells and Whistles has more in common with Nodwick, KotDT, and Dork Tower than it does with PvP, so Kurtz should get a deep core excavation team to get his wadded panties out of from where they're jammed so far up his ass.

this made me laugh alot.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-23-2004 07:13:33 PM
I can see some similarities, but i REALLY have to look for them.

Like, with the chicks -- the hair is the same color, and the same style. If you look real close, alot of the lines and points and such are very similar. Also, the color and outfit design are highly similar.

Other than that though...jeesh. I'm really having to reach to come up with similarities here. That should say something.

Gravity'sAngel
Pancake
posted 06-23-2004 07:31:37 PM
It's just SKurtz needing to be the center of attention again. Such an ass.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-23-2004 07:40:13 PM
I sometimes wonder if Kurtz is for real.

I mean, in the span of his career, he's insulted other webcomics, stolen their artwork, attempted to carry out a grudge fest with Penny Arcade, told people to buy him a Mac and now this.

I wanna be a webcomic artist so I can do this shit.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-23-2004 07:54:05 PM
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 06-23-2004 10:06:43 PM
And if you look closely at PvP and S&W, S&w has TONS more detail and is better drawn. Like... shading lines and stuf.

In short: Screw Scott Kurtz.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-24-2004 09:45:03 AM
Heh..they both removed their rants.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-24-2004 10:24:10 AM
quote:
Katrinity said this about your mom:
Heh..they both removed their rants.

Kurtz got part of what he wanted, as Tube changed the fairy character. Now it looks like he's ranting against those who didn't like his CoH character.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 06-24-2004 11:14:34 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Punky Brewster:

I admit it, I am a fraud...

seekritly I am all giddy my character was used in this analogy, as stupid as that is, it was kinda flattering and I dunno why. Maybe I am starved for attention.

Edit: Damnit I ALWAYS do that, I do not know WHY I can't ever rememebr to close with the small tag and always close with the img tag instead. Blah.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 06-24-2004 at 11:15 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-25-2004 12:21:36 AM
Well, looks like Milton will be wearing an oddly colored suit from now on.
Lashanna
noob
posted 06-25-2004 01:56:11 PM
Order of the Stick is better anyway.

I really rather dislike PvP. Haven't read S&W but I'm not looking impressed.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: