EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need a new seat.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-13-2004 03:51:35 AM
This movie made me ruin my old one.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 06-13-2004 03:57:12 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the game itself is going to look just like that.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-13-2004 03:59:57 AM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:
Yeah, I'm sure the game itself is going to look just like that.

Made out of sculpty.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 04:03:15 AM
Nice cinema, but I kept expecting the narrator to say something like "And now Lifetime, the network for women, brings you EverQuest II."
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-13-2004 04:04:07 AM
If only the models in the actual game didn't suck ass
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-13-2004 04:11:43 AM
quote:
From the book of Kegwen, chapter 3, verse 16:
If only the models in the actual game didn't suck ass

Compared to

I'd say it's close. Besides, There are many people on the forum that still play EQ despite the outdated graphics.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Zair
The Imp
posted 06-13-2004 04:14:10 AM
I like the style of the WoW models a lot more, even if the EQ ones are technically superior.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2004 04:14:20 AM
More polygons doesn't really mean better graphics, though.

Animations play a big part in things too.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-13-2004 04:16:14 AM
Guys, I could be expelled from it for doing this, but I'm actually participating in the EQ2 alpha. I know, I know, it sounds weird, but it's true.

And just to lend credence to my claim, here's a screenshot of my character.

This game is going to rock, guys.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 06-13-2004 04:21:34 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Rodent King:
[xIMG]http://eq2.universalrealms.com/PicturesEQ2/gl-0002.jpg[/IMG]

Compared to

[xIMG]http://www.blizzard.com/wow/images/screens/all/ss093.jpg[/IMG]

I'd say it's close. Besides, There are many people on the forum that still play EQ despite the outdated graphics.

Too bad EQ2 is lifeless and bland. I don't care how many polygons you have, it still looks like you're playing with your plastic toy instead of your badass avatar.

Plus, you can rely on SoE to drive EQ2 into the ground so hard that it's going to end up in Asia somewhere.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-13-2004 04:24:04 AM
quote:
How.... Falaanla Marr.... uughhhhhh:
More polygons doesn't really mean better graphics, though.

Animations play a big part in things too.

Yeah.

Also, EQ2's graphics are a HUGE power draw and are going to require an ownage system, but they character models are UGLY! They're fucking shiny, too.

urgh Dawn will save us all

edit: Plus, it's unfair for them to say "the creators of the most successful online game". We all know that the real key creators are working on a better game elsewhere.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-13-2004 at 04:25 AM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 04:24:23 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Tron:
Guys, I could be expelled from it for doing this, but I'm actually participating in the EQ2 alpha. I know, I know, it sounds weird, but it's true.

[xIMG]http://www.cold-sweat.net/gumby.jpg[/IMG]

It's sad how claymation is a lost art while spelling bees continue to thrive.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 06-13-2004 04:26:21 AM
quote:
Kegwening:
edit: Plus, it's unfair for them to say "the creators of the most successful online game". We all know that the real key creators are working on a better game elsewhere.

Also kinda unfair since FFXI was more successful.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-13-2004 04:27:19 AM
Oh yeah, and I like EQ1's Luclin model graphics more than EQ2's. A lot more.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-13-2004 04:28:01 AM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Also kinda unfair since FFXI was more successful.

Come now, we all know the Japanese numbers don't count

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-13-2004 04:32:49 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Duck Tales:

[xIMG]http://www.cold-sweat.net/gumby.jpg[/IMG]

Fuck. Someone get me a picture of that Wallace and Gromit cartoon with the giant mechanical suit so I can call Parce a N00b.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2004 04:34:45 AM
I believe Sony claims North America, in which FFXI doesn't reign supreme -- It doesn't have more NA subscribers than EQ.

IF Sony is claiming worldwide, though -- they are dead wrong.

If you count worldwide, it is arguable between Ragnarok Online and Lineage 1

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 04:43:49 AM
quote:
How.... Mooj.... uughhhhhh:
Fuck. Someone get me a picture of that Wallace and Gromit cartoon with the giant mechanical suit so I can call Parce a N00b.

They're called Techno Trousers, n00b.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-13-2004 04:47:22 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop Model 2000 was programmed to say:
They're called Techno Trousers, n00b.

Then find me a pic of the techno trousers! I need Ph@t claymation lewtz!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 04:49:47 AM
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-13-2004 04:57:51 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Cuba:

*giggles like a school girl*

Maradon!
posted 06-13-2004 05:45:45 AM
quote:
x--Falaanla MarrO-('-'Q) :
I believe Sony claims North America, in which FFXI doesn't reign supreme -- It doesn't have more NA subscribers than EQ.

IF Sony is claiming worldwide, though -- they are dead wrong.

If you count worldwide, it is arguable between Ragnarok Online and Lineage 1

Neither RO nor Lineage 1 even approach 500,000 players. RO isn't even a serious, commercial MMORPG, and Lineage 1 is almost unheard of outside of Korea.

EQ has around 500,000 players, FFXI has around 507,000

No matter how you slice it, FFXI has more players as a matter of pure numbers and obtained them in about half the time. The only way to skew it toward EQ is if you exclude the entire world outside America, but even that's changing pretty quickly.

Lashanna
noob
posted 06-13-2004 09:31:38 AM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:
Neither RO nor Lineage 1 even approach 500,000 players. RO isn't even a serious, commercial MMORPG, and Lineage 1 is almost unheard of outside of Korea.

No matter how you slice it, FFXI has more players as a matter of pure numbers and obtained them in about half the time. The only way to skew it toward EQ is if you exclude the entire world outside America, but even that's changing pretty quickly.

That's really amazing to me, because even though most of us don't like EQ anymore, I don't think anyone can deny that EQ was (maybe not still is) a superior game in most aspects.

And you can say that FFXI has done it in such a short time and put it as something to FFXI's credit, or you can say that even though Everquest is so much older than FFXI, and doesn't benefit from a major international release, it still has almost as many subscribers.

The moral of the story being that number of subscribers has very little to do the quality of the game, and those damn Japs'll play anything.

On that last note, I've played a lot of Korean games that have led me to believe that Koreans will, in fact, play anything.

In the end, Either way you slice it, Sony has 1,007,000 subscribers then,

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 06-13-2004 10:13:34 AM
The final fantasy name doesnt have anything to do with speedy product sales for FFXI.

Whats worse than a FF Fanboi? A Japanese FF Fanboi of course!

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Gravity'sAngel
Pancake
posted 06-13-2004 11:44:18 AM
That's also one of the earliest EQ2 dark elf models. Some of the newer ones look damned decent.
Still refusing to play WoW.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2004 11:54:12 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Cuba:

Actually, Lineage has approached the 2 million mark, and even if you count only half of them, you've still got Lineage ahead.

RO has been repeatedly mentioned as the most popular MMO in Japan/Korea, whether or not you think of it as such, and has been claimed to have upwards of 6 million subscribers.

MMOs in the Far East take on a whole different, guess you could say, set of legs as opposed to stateside.

quote:

EQ has 425,000 players actually, with (guessing here) 350,000 + in America. It was released stateside, and gained many of its customers stateside.

FFXI, on the other hand, has around 150,000 subscribers stateside, with the rest being in Japan. 350,000 is considered a failure in the Far East when you consider what the Lineages and ROs bring in subscriber wise.

150,000 is fairly typical at this point after release for an MMO -- DAOC was at/beyond this point, and EQ was close to it too. FFXI isn't growing any faster stateside than any of the other MMOs out there.

Note that I'm not arguing for or against any of these games, simply pointing out figures.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-13-2004 12:04:23 PM
SWG broke the MMORPG record for the amount of subscribers a while ago, you know..
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2004 12:07:32 PM
quote:
Mortious Model 2000 was programmed to say:
SWG broke the MMORPG record for the amount of subscribers a while ago, you know..

And then dropped to around 150,000 - 200,000 fairly fast.

Dave
)_(
posted 06-13-2004 01:04:54 PM
Check out the latest wow movie on their website. At the end they have alot of wow models dancing around a fire... The night elf women dance like strippers!
Skaw
posted 06-13-2004 05:19:51 PM
A huge bulk of Lineage accounts belong to CyberCafes. They don't count.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 06-13-2004 05:25:52 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop was listening to Cher while typing:
It's sad how claymation is a lost art while spelling bees continue to thrive.

I'm pretty sure that a movie called "Harvey Krumpet" won an Oscar this year didn't it... and that was claymation, wasn't it???

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2004 05:28:49 PM
quote:
Skaw enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
A huge bulk of Lineage accounts belong to CyberCafes. They don't count.

Even if 75% of them belong to Cyber Cafes, that still leaves it in the lead.

Anyways, why don't they count? They are still subscribers, and people play the accounts.

And, my figures may have been off.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/100408p1.html

Back in 2001, Lineage had 4 million subscribers with 330,000 concurrent users. the 330,000 concurrent users STILL tops EQ's record of about 125,000 (around there), and I doubt FFXI tops that point.

Also, found this: News on Allakhazam's on FFXI subscribers

100,000 American, 300,000 Japanese. If you aren't going to count accounts in the Asian Market, then FFXI is still not superior account wise.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-13-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Skaw
posted 06-13-2004 06:08:44 PM
Your info on FFXI accounts is also horribly dated, since the North American Playstation 2 Release hadn't happened for awhile after that.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-13-2004 06:11:55 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mortious!

It broke a record for over 250,000 subscribers in the first week of sales...

But... after the first week...

Skaw
posted 06-13-2004 06:16:54 PM
quote:
Khyron attempted to be funny by writing:
It broke a record for over 250,000 subscribers in the first week of sales...

But... after the first week...

Yeah, after the initial shock value of "OMG! Star Wars online!" people realized how badly made the game was.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-13-2004 06:21:14 PM
quote:
Skaw wrote this:
Yeah, after the initial shock value of "OMG! Star Wars online!" people realized how badly made the game was.

It's a lot better now.

I've met several people who've dumped CoH to come back.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 06:23:36 PM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
I've met several people who've dumped CoH to come back.

It was pretty funny hearing people broadcast "This game is too boring, I'm going back to SWG."

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-13-2004 06:28:01 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It was pretty funny hearing people broadcast "This game is too boring, I'm going back to SWG."

CoH is fun with little depth.

SWG is depth with little fun.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-13-2004 06:29:26 PM
The future lies with...Duck Hunt: The MMOG
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2004 06:30:46 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Knight Rider:
The future lies with...Duck Hunt: The MMOG

Will I be able to shoot the dog?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: