EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Moving out for the first time
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-10-2004 11:42:07 PM
So, I'm moving out for the first time. I'm nineteen years old, sophmore in college, full time worker.

I have three roommates, all co-workers that I've known since elementary school. We all happen to be managers at the same store. Our rents around 1100 a month for a 7104 sq ft place. Includes two fireplaces, 20ft ceilings, 3 bed, 3 bath, etc.

Roommate 1 is bringing his 56in HDTV with every console ever released. For the living room, and a full kitchen set from Bed, Bath, and Beyond(recepit totaled 4,200 dollars). Two computers also. Along with his essentials.

Roommate 2 is bringing a nice leather couch and a living room table. Along with his essentials and his computer/tv.

Roommate 3 is me. I'm bringing a ps2, two computers, my tv, a bed, dessor, few random lights/bed side table. But thats about all I have right now. What essentials should I bring along? I know the basics like tiolet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste. Anything totally required? Any suggestions? I just want to make sure I have everything ready and paid for before I move.

We move in, in ten days! Pictures of the place will be up in I'd say 11 days as long as we get cable/dsl up and running by then.

Razor
posted 06-10-2004 11:48:45 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when KiranĂª said this:
toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste

AND:
SOAP!
Paper Towels (at least a 12 pack)
Paper Plates
Plastic Forks, and spoons (I am assuming you have at least one knife)
a large Pot
A mircowave (if possible)

and most needed
CLEAN CLOTHES!

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-10-2004 11:51:50 PM
quote:
Razor wrote this stupid crap:
AND:
SOAP!
Paper Towels (at least a 12 pack)
Paper Plates
Plastic Forks, and spoons (I am assuming you have at least one knife)
a large Pot
A mircowave (if possible)

and most needed
CLEAN CLOTHES!

Ah soap. Good one.

We have roommate 1's full dining set, which includes a sweet table/chairs. Full matching plate/silverware/knifes/pots/etc. Also has a deep fryer. Place comes with a microwave.

Clean clothes. Hmm check, bought laundry bags to bring to my mom. Woo only moving 15 minutes from my house.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-11-2004 01:22:48 AM
$1100 apiece, or split 3 ways?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-11-2004 01:30:45 AM
And I'm assuming you mean 1704 square foot place and not 7104.

Remind me to come see it sometime, after school starts that is when i'm back in pembroke.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 06-11-2004 01:34:39 AM
Laundry soap.
Towels.
Flashlight w/ batteries.
Painkillers.
9*13 cake pan.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 06-11-2004 03:57:22 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Knight Rider:
Laundry soap.
Towels.
Flashlight w/ batteries.
Painkillers.
9*13 cake pan.

PAINKILLERS. are the essential. you can live as long as you have those.

a phone, perhaps?

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Skaw
posted 06-11-2004 04:10:09 AM
A Minifridge to hold your sodas and/or beer, and keep it in your room so your roommates can't get into it.
Broadzilla
Pancake
posted 06-11-2004 07:54:20 AM
A monkey servant to bring you all of your goods while you are busy gaming. They come in handy.
"I like lesbians with a giddy delight. If I had my own pair, I'd jack off every night."
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me."
"There are easier things in life then finding a good guy like nailing Jell-0 to a tree."

[T E C H N O D R O M E] // [E R I N E Y ' S M I N D]

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-11-2004 08:08:11 AM
Y'all are close to Falaanla?

I might have to take a weekend and bother ya'll who are in the Carolinas. Hell, I'm only in Virginia.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 06-11-2004 09:51:24 AM
Yeah Fal... i was looking at that and almost shit myself.. 7104 sq ft place?? Jeeesus! you live in a wearhouse!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-11-2004 10:16:51 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about John Romero:
Y'all are close to Falaanla?

I might have to take a weekend and bother ya'll who are in the Carolinas. Hell, I'm only in Virginia.

Where in VA are you again, Aza?

I might have to bug YOU one weekend, too -- My buddy in the coast guard is up near Chesapeake, I forget the exact city

But yeah, Kirane is about 2 hours west of me when I'm at school, 5 when I'm not. Me, I'm in Havelock if ya wanna look that up on mapquest.

Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 06-11-2004 12:50:58 PM
Biggest essential of living on your own:
Costco Membership. Buying things like soap and such in bulk isnt a bad idea.
~That which yields, is not always weak~
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-11-2004 01:15:14 PM
In addition to the items already mentioned...

Can opener. During four years of college, people borrowed my can opener an average of 2-3 times per week.

I'm guessing the complete kitchen set includes pots, large spoons, etc., along with plates, forks, knives... because if it doesn't, you'll have to eat out (or use the CostCo membership to solve the shortages).

Does the new place have broadband? Does it have cable or satelite TV? If not, you'll get bored very quickly with only computers & TV for entertainment. Bring some books, just in case. And make sure someone brings a cell phone, because if the phone line isn't active when you get there, you won't want to call the phone company's help line on a payphone.

Anybody bringing a refridgerator? If you're bringing a bed, I'm guessing it isn't a furnished apartment. Make sure that the place has a stove, microwave, and refridgerator, whether they're included or you bring them yourself.

Bring or buy some interlocking stacking crates. File crates will work, so long as they can take weight. Stack them on their sides, and you have supplied yourself with instant (and portable) shelving.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 06-11-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 06-11-2004 01:17:28 PM
You're going to need a ridiculous amount of alcohol, obviously.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Addy
posted 06-11-2004 03:40:37 PM
Don't forget to get cleaning stuff and a vacuum cleaner so the apartment doesn't fall apart within a week. >_> Get at least a toilet bowl cleaner (+ brush) and cleaning fluid for the sink/shower.
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-12-2004 01:07:24 AM
Yeah 1704 sqft. Slightly off on my measurement!

Ah vacuum cleaner and bathroom cleaner, never thought of that one.

Everyone in the house has their own cell phone so we will not be using a landline.

Just bought towels today.

No need for painkillers. Rarely even taken Tylonol in my life(don't even think thats how you spell it, because I've really never taken it).

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-12-2004 02:24:11 AM
get a landline anyway, with local service -- never know when you'll need to dial 911 and not know where your cell is.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: