EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: BeerBot
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-10-2004 06:26:26 PM
I'm toying around with the idea of making a robot... figured I'd post here for ideas... the urge may pass, it may not and I could go with it. Right now my main idea is a BeerBot. It'd have carpet-safe treds on the bottom, a cocktail platter on the top, and little holes to put beer cans in in the center. You could fill the center up with ice... and in the very center there would be the motor and the controlling PDA (with a metal shield, of course so melted ice wouldn't damage anything).

The robot would memorise the rooms and be able to bring beer from pre-programmed point a to pre-programmed point b using either a remote control or voice recognition. So you could have someone in the kitchen making drinks and cocktails and then the robot could move itself to the dining room, maybe going in circles around a table or something so people can pick up cocktails from it. It'd stop if people crowd it as not to bump into anyone.

Someone else reccomended a fridgebot. Gave me the idea of a robot getting food for you from the fridge, but I'm not sure how that would work.

[babble]I haven't made a robot since highschool.. like 6+ years ago, where I used swithces, a robitix set, and a bunch of resistors and crap from radio shack to make a robot that interfaces with an XT's parlell printer port and a C (not C++) program to control it. Even had a little led that turns on and off and an input sensor (becuase certain pins for the printer port were inbound). The thign fried the XT machine when one of my friends was fascinated by the fact the computer turned a light on or off when you mess with the robot. Guess the printer port couldn't handle the rapid change in voltage.... [homer]"Light goes on... light goes off... light goes on... light goes off... light goes" BZZ "DOH!"[/homer][/babble]

Now I know a bit more and it's easy to get small high tech gizmos, so i can actully make a real robot. If you have any ideas for a pratical (non-battlebot) robot, post in this thread, and I'll consider making it and posting the progress, then pics when its done.

diadem fucked around with this message on 06-10-2004 at 06:34 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Broadzilla
Pancake
posted 06-10-2004 06:31:07 PM
Every man's dream during Monday Night Football.
"I like lesbians with a giddy delight. If I had my own pair, I'd jack off every night."
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me."
"There are easier things in life then finding a good guy like nailing Jell-0 to a tree."

[T E C H N O D R O M E] // [E R I N E Y ' S M I N D]

diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-10-2004 06:39:51 PM
Additional Features:

Trash bin or Removable puck bucket (please remove before use)

Outdoor model, remote controlled for BBQ's.

Poker table replacement for cocktail table.

Problems brought up by friend:

Motor melting ice (Air conditioning is inpractical.. heat sink somehow... might work? best idea ... just keep the ice part far enough away from the motor without getting to tall to be unstable)

ideas for research material:
battlebots prototypes probably have good ideas for treds/locomotion (jackpot!)

diadem fucked around with this message on 06-10-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-10-2004 06:52:28 PM
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-10-2004 07:26:30 PM
You can buy kits for what you're talking about.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-10-2004 07:30:52 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael said this:
You can buy kits for what you're talking about.

Yeah.. was just looking at www.robotbooks.com

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-10-2004 07:48:30 PM
My Dad and I made a little programmable robot when I was a kid. Pretty cool.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-10-2004 10:21:54 PM
It looks cool.

But you should have three varieties of tops.

The first could be a cocktail platter, with slots for holding glasses and the center for holding hors'doeruve or whatever. The second could be a cylinder of ice with beer cans on the side to keep them cold. The third could be a tray of ice with shotglasses around it and a bottle of vodka in the center, with OJ and cranberry juice on other sides.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: