EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Prisoner of Azkaban (Untagged spoilers)
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-06-2004 06:20:04 PM
I didn't like the movie.

The cast was good. The new dumbledore wasn't any replacement for the old one... but since we can't have the old one anymore... Malfoy sure as hell did age a lot...

I didn't like how the movie went. It didn't seem to flow together as well as the other two. The amount of stuff that was missing sort of boggled my mind.

The entire deal between Moonie, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs, was missing. There was no explanation about why Sirius was an animagus. There was no explanation of how Lupin knew how the map works, and that it was, in fact, a map. There was no explanation of why the image of the stag was important. Hell, when harry summoned the Patronus at the end, it didn't look even remotely like it did the first time when he saw it summoned. There was a vague image of a patronus in the huge, swirling shield thing, but...

The firebolt was supposed to have been obtained in the middle, not the end, but that I can understand, to meet time constraints.

The entire castle felt TOTALLY different. From the giant clock motif, to the big bridge where Harry and Lupin were talking, to Hagrid's hut being right on the slope and not further down as it was in the previous movies. It didn't feel like hogwards did, except in a couple scenes.

Overall, I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the other two. The entire deal with Lupin and Sirius being the creators of the Map (With Harry's father, and Pettigrew), and the significance of the stag appearing, were all completely AWOL.

EDIT - Goddamn it, Dumbledorf is from Sluggy, Dumbledore is from HP.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 06-06-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-06-2004 06:36:24 PM
It was a good movie, but for consistancy, I'd of preferred the previous director for the other two films to do this one as well.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-06-2004 06:47:33 PM
I was rather pleased that the increased budget allowed them to expand on the Hogwarts grounds.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-06-2004 07:39:14 PM
As someone who hasn't read the books, I enjoyed this movie much more then the other two.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-06-2004 07:41:53 PM
I quite liked it.

Sometimes, not reading the books works out well.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 06-06-2004 08:05:55 PM
If they'd kept every little bit of the story intact, this would end up being a five hour movie, and they'd only keep getting longer.

I read the books, and while yes, I admit, I'd have liked to see the explanation of the Marauder's Map, and a little more background on a few other things, the changes didn't bother me in the slightest. I enjoyed the redesign of Hogwarts and the grounds, and I thought the director did a great job with it overall. This is a magical world, and it makes sense to me that things such as the bridge and the clock tower could be added very easily over summer break.

The previous director seemed to be more interested in making sure every little gadget mentioned in the books were introduced, and often got too bogged down in the little things, to a point where it seemed the story would stall during certain scenes.

The story has to be streamlined to survive the transition from paper to the screen. The books only get more and more complex as they go on, and it's a given that some things will have to be sacrificed to keep the plot moving ahead in a visual meduim. I'd venture to guess that 80% of the audience could care less about the internal politics of the Ministry of Magic, for example. These movies are, for their main demographic, already incredibly long. This isn't LoTR, so a three plus hour screen time would end up ultimately sinking the franchise. Kids don't have the attention span to sit still for that long.

Yes, a lot of the detail was missing, but in my opinion, you have to take the books and the movies as separate entities. A full scale adaption would be next to impossible, given time and budget constraints.

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 06-06-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-06-2004 10:20:54 PM
Well, I think that my #1 gripe is how they got into almost zero detail about why Sirius and Peter are Animagi, and never even touched upon the subject of the stag image of Harry's Patronus. That was as pretty large part of the story in the book, IMO, that they left out. That part really annoys me... the map figures into that, at the very end, when he finds out just who made it, but in reality it's the story about the three friends becoming Animagi to be with Lupin, that held together the ending where they confront Peter in the shack.

I'm hoping they'll have an extended version DVD that'll have the bits they left out, like LOTR...

Khyron fucked around with this message on 06-06-2004 at 10:23 PM.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 06-06-2004 10:29:27 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about dark elf butts:
I'm hoping they'll have an extended version DVD that'll have the bits they left out, like LOTR...

Sorry to say, but I wouldn't bet on it. From recent reports I've read, there's less than 30 minutes worth of footage that was cut from the film. The script was cut down with JK Rowling's approval, and she did have final ok on the production.

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 06-06-2004 at 10:30 PM.

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 06-06-2004 11:07:31 PM
Now Ive never read any of the books though my mother and brother have so i always get told whats missing but I still greatly enjoyed this movie.

You could deffinately tell this was a different director.. the other movies although loved by all seemed more geared to the children that the book was orginally intended for. This one seemed older and darker... I really liked that, though some parts did feel a little confusing and lacking, on the whole very well done.

Malfoy is still very cute but such a wimp... and they all seemed to have aged several more years then they actually have. Over all I like the semi new feel of it.

Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 06-07-2004 08:36:55 AM
I saw it last night, and I walked out of the theatre a little disappointed about the missing information about the maurader's map and the animagi...

but other than that, i liked the redesign of hogwarts...

and goddamn draco's hot. Thank god he has two older brothers.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-07-2004 10:30:07 AM
I imagine they'll mention the Animagi bit in the next movie. They rather have to before the fifth one, for things to fit well.

In any case, I liked the different director...by and large. I agree with JR2.0 that it did have a somewhat more mature feel, which was necessary. The novels aren't all written for eleven year olds. One of Rowling's most formidable literary abilities is to scale up the maturity level of the books from year to year. The movie just expanded on that.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: