EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Rythmic Metal appreciation thread
diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-30-2004 06:37:51 PM
Since clear channel killed all the rock/metal stations except one in my state and mp3.com turned to crap, it's hard to find good new bands. I was just introduced to Porcupine Tree, and after hearing "Sound Of Muzak" and "The Creator has a Master tape" I realize I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Bands I like include of the following: Opeth, older Metallica, Megadeth, Arch Enemy, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Sepultura, Pantera, and Mindless Self Indulgence.

Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Rhapsody, and the like are ok, but they are sometimes a little too soft for my tastes.

Despite Pantera and Sepultura being listed I'm not looking for a band that tries too hard to be heavy and turns into crap, and just becuase Opeth is listed doesn't mean I want to hear Evensesance. I'm looking for a good metal group or industrial/darkwave group that I haven't heard before that isn't listed.

So start posting suggestions

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Razor
posted 05-30-2004 06:49:49 PM
Try using shoutcast streams. You'll find many of the music types you are looking for.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-30-2004 07:00:48 PM
quote:
From the book of Razor, chapter 3, verse 16:
Try using shoutcast streams. You'll find many of the music types you are looking for.

I'll try that. I'm also going to get XM Radio in my car.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-30-2004 07:01:10 PM
It sounds like you would like a lot of stuff in the "Melodic Death Metal" category, aka Gothenburg.

Look into In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

To sound like Kegwen, if you like Opeth, you'll probably like Dream Theatre. I don't see where Opeth = Evanescence...very different bands... ?

If you like cheesy stuff, look into Dragonforce, Falconer, Blind Guardian.

Fear Factory, although you've probably heard of them.

Eh...hmmm. Machine Head? =)

Alidane fucked around with this message on 05-30-2004 at 07:07 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-30-2004 07:10:40 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Alidane said:
It sounds like you would like a lot of stuff in the "Melodic Death Metal" category, aka Gothenburg.

Look into In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

To sound like Kegwen, if you like Opeth, you'll probably like Dream Theatre. I don't see where Opeth = Evanescence...very different bands... ?

If you like cheesy stuff, look into Dragonforce, Falconer, Blind Guardian.

Fear Factory, although you've probably heard of them.

Eh...hmmm. Machine Head? =)

Heard them all except Falconer (didn't Dragonforce change it's name recently?). Iced Earth/ Guardian is good once in a while but sometimes it's just too cheesy. Cathedral and Iron Maiden were the only two bands to really be able to do fantasy stuff well with metal IMO.

Yeah, I think fear factory wanted to do a song for one of the games I was testing (my nondisclosure contract is up and the company is dead).

edit: *chuckles* Gothenburg, eh?

diadem fucked around with this message on 05-30-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-30-2004 07:20:21 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived diadem stammered:
Heard them all except Falconer (didn't Dragonforce change it's name recently?). Iced Earth/ Guardian is good once in a while but sometimes it's just too cheesy. Cathedral and Iron Maiden were the only two bands to really be able to do fantasy stuff well with metal IMO.

edit: *chuckles* Gothenburg, eh?

Dragonforce used to be...uh...something. But they're still Dragonforce, as far as I know.

Maybe too metal...Amon Amarth? That's flat-out black viking metal though.

Lamb of God is good...maybe a little heavy, but if you like Pantera...uhh...definitely check out Fear Factory though, if you haven't. Good industrial there. Chimaira, Shadows Fall, decent stuff. Maybe too hardcore?

Comedy "Agoraphaic Nosebleed" option...or Dimmu Borgir. Oh! Children of Bodom? They shred pretty hard...

Alidane fucked around with this message on 05-30-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 05-30-2004 07:44:36 PM
=( I think most of my suggestions, you'd probably not like. *hugs Dia* Best of luck discovering new bands. =)
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-30-2004 08:27:17 PM
More names

Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad (if you can stand it...abrasive), Spineshank, Static-X, Sonata Arctica (cheese, but good cheese), Dark Tranquility (growly), Edge of Sanity, Killswitch Engage, Wolf (borders on cheese)....

sorry, i'm a horrible namedropper. Can supply mp3s upon request.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-30-2004 08:32:16 PM
I only skimmed the thread after your initial post, but...

Queensryche.
Dream Theater may not be for you, but I'll mention them just because I them
Symphony X is kinda boring to me, but you may enjoy them.
TOOL.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 05-31-2004 05:53:07 AM
Someone once suggested Arch Enemy to me, I never found anything by them, but they also suggested Otep, so they may be similar.

I suggest Otep.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-31-2004 09:28:49 AM
Devin Townsend - Was suggested earlier. Guess I just got to find some of his better albums. The stuff I heard of his was just ok.

Arch Enemy - That's on my list.
Strapping Young Lad, Spineshank, Sonata Arctica, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, Killswitch Engage, Wolf - Thanks, I'll check them out
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime was amazing. Their other albums are ok.
Dream Theater - one of the mainstream bands I never got the chance to hear.... i should have, but I didn't.
Symphony X - Calling them boring isn't a good way to build them up them, but I'll give them a listen.
Tool (and a perfect circle) - I haven't been living in a cave. They put on pretty badass concerts though.
Otep/Static-X - Like i said. (looks around). Not a cave.
Amon Amarth - heard them. they are ok, nothing exceptional. I'd much prefer Slipknot.
Lamb of G-d - I'll give them a listen. Sounds like something I may like the way you described it.
Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom - I'll give them a listen. Anything like Mindless Self Indulgence?

diadem fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 09:29 AM.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 11:38:32 AM
Skinlabss not bad

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-31-2004 09:57:08 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about (_|_):

Amon Amarth - heard them. they are ok, nothing exceptional. I'd much prefer Slipknot.

IOWA Slipknot or Feed.Mate.Kill.Repeat. Slipknot? Kinda different...

Also, I forgot one: Probot. They've got one album out...it's actually a Dave Grohl side-project that's metal-oriented and is done entirely by guest vocalists.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-31-2004 09:58:13 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when diadem said:
Dream Theater - mainstream band

lolol

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-31-2004 10:05:53 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Kegwen said:
lolol

Mainstream compared to some of the more underground stuff. Not Mainstream like MTV, though.

After all, who really listens to Pig Destroyer?

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 10:07:20 PM
quote:
Alidane attempted to be funny by writing:

you

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-31-2004 10:19:22 PM
quote:
Alidane stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Mainstream compared to some of the more underground stuff. Not Mainstream like MTV, though.

Ah. I see.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 05-31-2004 10:21:34 PM
Have you listened to anything by Slayer? I used to think they were just the stereotypical death metal band, but lots of their songs are really decent.

Bloodline, South of Heaven are two of my favourites.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-31-2004 10:29:17 PM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit was listening to Cher while typing:
Have you listened to anything by Slayer? I used to think they were just the stereotypical death metal band, but lots of their songs are really decent.

Bloodline, South of Heaven are two of my favourites.

Yea, but everyone knows that Slayer's best song is Raining Blood.

It's like, an immutable fact of nature. You can't tell me there's been a better death metal album since Reign in Blood...heretics who think South of Heaven is better can just, like...go away. 8)

But yea, Slayer's good stuff. Neat stuff on their compliation, too, Soundtrack to the Apocalyps

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: