EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Help my Girlfriend get into colege thread!
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-27-2004 06:33:34 PM
For a while now my girlfriend has been trying to get into colege(shes over 18, graduated years ago), shes allready been accepted to a comunity college but would need finacial aid in order to actualy go, right now she is living with her mom in her uncles house, her uncle has a decent amount of money, her mom just works as a cleaning lady and doesnt

Last year her uncle listed her as a dependent on his taxes, even though all he gives her realy is a roof over her head(small peice of the addic to be precisise), so anyway, she went to talk to the fincial aide poeple, they told her she couldnt put her uncle unless her parents were dead, and her mom told her not to say she worked as a cleaning lady becasue she hadnt been payign taxes for years and didnt want the IRS commign arfter her, so of course shr didnt tell the financial aide poeple that, she just said her mom does housework for her uncle

It was so sad yesterday seeing her after working so hard to try and get in, pretty much blame it all on herself because her mom hasnt been fileing her damn taxes, and you need to fill in what your parents are making on the form, so she pretty much took that as them saying thiers no way your getting finicial aide

i know a whole bunch of you are noledgable on such topics, any help would be greatly apreciated, she realy wants to become a teachers assistant or counselor, and her moms pretty much been telling her theirs noway she could make it since back when she was in highscool, and just to go to a trade school and become a hairdresser, but she realy doesnt want to)

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-27-2004 06:39:03 PM
Perhaps different states have different rules, but when I was going to college (community college as well), my financial aid information was based off of two things. My personal work history AND the overall income of my household, regardless of where the money went to and regardless of who got to spend it or who earned it, etc.

If your girlfriend is that concerned with it, then she should get a job and work part-time while she goes to school. Community college is actually -very- cheap compared to undergraduate/graduate college. I was going to school for less than 500 dollars a semester (before books).

If financial aid counselors are flat out telling her there's no way she'll get the aid, then they must know something you don't.. or she's not being completely truthful.. or she's just not doing it right.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 05-27-2004 06:43:18 PM
Federal Guidelines. State has little to do with it. If she is over 24 years old, it matters little. 24 you qualify as independent by the Federal Financial Aid standards. Doesn't matter if you live with your parents and your father is Bill Gates.

They do go by parents unless her Uncle has legal custody. Under 24..unless you are an orphan or married..you have to list your parents.

Vecchio Hickory fucked around with this message on 05-27-2004 at 06:44 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-27-2004 07:30:26 PM
quote:
Vecchio Hickory thought about the meaning of life:

They do go by parents unless her Uncle has legal custody. Under 24..unless you are an orphan or married..you have to list your parents.

You DO have to list them, yes, but in NC you can have your financial aid department override the decision if your parents haven't been supporting you and you can PROVE it.

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-27-2004 08:18:21 PM
Almost correct. If you have a dependent yourself and you're under 24, you're considered independent for purposes of financial aid.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Mog
posted 05-27-2004 10:11:10 PM
shes 22, uncle not legal guardian but listed her as dependent on tax, they didnt say she couldnt get fanical aide, all they flat out said was that she couldnt put her uncles info down, she had to put her moms, and her mom doesnt want her to do that

she was trying to find a job for awhile, `but the only one she could find was 60 hours a week and 3 dollers an hour, right now shes babysitting alot, but like she said she didnt think she could put that

and fal, wow, 500 a semester is pretty damn good, i thoguht it was like alot mroe then that even at comunity college

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-28-2004 06:19:22 AM
quote:
This is what Mog is doing. This is what I want Mog to do :
shes 22, uncle not legal guardian but listed her as dependent on tax, they didnt say she couldnt get fanical aide, all they flat out said was that she couldnt put her uncles info down, she had to put her moms, and her mom doesnt want her to do that

So basically her future suffers because her mom made mistakes and is selfish about it. She could always be 'not so truthful' about her mom's income. *shrug*

quote:
she was trying to find a job for awhile, `but the only one she could find was 60 hours a week and 3 dollers an hour, right now shes babysitting alot, but like she said she didnt think she could put that

I suppose she could look for a real job, though. 60 hours a week and 3 dollars an hour? That's below minimum wage unless she's working for tips... and that's not exactly every job out there. Even working at Pizza Hut or something part-time would be enough to pay the bills. Unless she's 'too good' for that kind of job.. and if that's the case, then I have no sympathy because she doesn't want it [to go to college] enough.

quote:
and fal, wow, 500 a semester is pretty damn good, i thoguht it was like alot mroe then that even at comunity college

I'm not Fal... but actually it was a lot cheaper than 500... My most recent semester bill was about 320 dollars, but that was about 8 years ago, so I figure with inflation it could easily be around 500 now.
Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 05-28-2004 06:35:38 AM
yeah community college *is* that cheap *grin* The only thing about it is that your options are more limited as they deal primarily in certifications, Associates Degrees and depending .. tradeschool type things.

On the flipside.. CC is a very good starting point for getting on a path if you wanna do the 4 year thing. CC is essentially.. a 2 year school.. ie Associates Degree. =) Anyhow.. nuff of the babble from me. Im dead tired. *pokes Fae, Gen and Trent. =)

"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Yuri
posted 05-28-2004 11:54:14 AM
I don't have a solution for your problem at hand but I would like to thank you for taking the effort to type correctly.

I wish I could help but I, myself, just got into college and I am confused as fuck at how I'm going to pay for it.

Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 05-28-2004 12:54:30 PM
There are exceptions that can be made, but it all depends on how far the financial aid counsellors are willing to go, and what kind of aid she is willing to accept. For example for a large while at the end of my college years I was able to prove that I recieved no support from my parents or family, by way of testemony of doctors and priests, so that I could fill out the form based upon my income soley. Of course with what I made I still was only able to get loans and not grants, but I was able to go to school. Of course this option was suggested to me by the office, I dont remember what it was called, but it had its own amount of paperwork before I was able to apply for the aid directly.
~That which yields, is not always weak~
Mog
posted 05-31-2004 01:24:32 AM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about Captain Planet:
I suppose she could look for a real job, though. 60 hours a week and 3 dollars an hour? That's below minimum wage unless she's working for tips... and that's not exactly every job out there. Even working at Pizza Hut or something part-time would be enough to pay the bills. Unless she's 'too good' for that kind of job.. and if that's the case, then I have no sympathy because she doesn't want it [to go to college] enough.

its way below minamum wage, and it wasnt for tips, it was cashier at a novelty shop or something like that, but thats the only job she was actualy able to get, the area she lives in has tons of illegal imegrants and not only are jobs very scarce, but most places dont give a shit about minamum wage, shes appleid to countless supermarkets/bars/tacobells to no avail

I think she said the comuntiy college she got in to was 8k for 2 years

- Self Rreliance
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 03:36:48 AM
Yeah. Most schools can work with you if they are willing to go the extra mile. I'd suggest she get an appointment with the head of financial aid department. They are usually the people that approve those types of things. Tell her situation and see if they will work with her.

I've known a lot of people that just got the federal guidelines read to them; then went to the head guy and got extra help.

In my experience, most counselors and the desk people just read the guidelines and send you on your way.

And Lyinar is right it is if you have a child, not being married. Orphan, having a child, or over 24 gets you classified as an independent by the Federal equation.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-31-2004 04:40:24 AM
quote:
This is what Mog is doing. This is what I want Mog to do :
its way below minamum wage, and it wasnt for tips, it was cashier at a novelty shop or something like that, but thats the only job she was actualy able to get, the area she lives in has tons of illegal imegrants and not only are jobs very scarce, but most places dont give a shit about minamum wage, shes appleid to countless supermarkets/bars/tacobells to no avail

First off, that's against the law and can be reported to the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Secondly, that's really against the damn law and it sounds like 'la migra' needs to make a sweep. Third, THAT IS SO VERY ILLEGAL. You simply cannot deny minimum wage unless it's a tips job of some type.

quote:
I think she said the comuntiy college she got in to was 8k for 2 years

That sounds more like an undergraduate college. Don't confuse the two. A community college will usually say "community college" in the name of it.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: