EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mac OSX skin for WinXP
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-09-2004 05:07:30 PM
I still have to use a PC if I want to continue playing EQ. No way around that since I dont' want to start on a new server.
However I dont' want to deal with Windows XPs clunky, piece of shit interface.
I have been looking around for an OSX skin for Windows XP> and while I have found references to them such as this one. I can't find anyplace to actually download them.

Help! Please

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Mod
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 05:16:29 PM
I've played with those things a bit, it just doesn't all work out the way it does on a mac, especially the docks eat massive amounts of resources and are generally buggy pieces of crap, the top bar often has priority issues, gets overlapped by windows, etc-

If you really want to go down that route your best bet is to go to www.stardock.com and download the programs and appropriate skins from them.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-09-2004 05:21:26 PM
It's not worth the bother. You run into problems when you move up a service pack. Windows in general does not like changes in the display like that.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2004 05:23:02 PM
The windows interface is just fine for me. I don't see the huge omfg giant difference in the windows and OSX interfaces. Heh.
Mod
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 05:23:48 PM
One thing though, the launchbar clone at www.candylabs.com/approcket is rather good and unintrusive, that might help you out.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-09-2004 05:27:55 PM
Fal, I have just always disliked the Windows interface. While XP is a huge improvement over the previous ones I find it clunky and counter intuitive. For that matter I hated the Mac OS interface as well till version 10.X came out.

Oh well. such is my luck.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2004 05:31:17 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Robocop:
Fal, I have just always disliked the Windows interface. While XP is a huge improvement over the previous ones I find it clunky and counter intuitive. For that matter I hated the Mac OS interface as well till version 10.X came out.

Oh well. such is my luck.

like it is an issue if you're just running EQ on it

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-09-2004 05:32:58 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Tron:
like it is an issue if you're just running EQ on it

True enough. But I am a picky SoB

Skaw
posted 05-09-2004 05:34:22 PM
Here's an idea. Make a desktop shortcut. Problem solved.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-09-2004 05:36:41 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Pirotess:
True enough. But I am a picky SoB

You just wanted to bash windows. admit it

Dionysus
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 05:38:36 PM
This is the best dock, in my opinion.

The rest is all looks, unless you want to go with some stardock programs, like someone above me suggested.

nnioR~

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 06:21:32 PM
http://www.jonmega.com/iceman/vs/

He has icons and such, too.

btw, if you don't know how to 'crack' Windows XP in order to use third party themes, just ask. I have an autoinstaller for SP1 (or even pre-SP1 if you're into that unpatched thing) and the instructions are pretty simple.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-09-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-09-2004 07:00:23 PM
(Insert obligatory 'Mac sux lol pc4lief!!//1' post here)
Maradon!
posted 05-09-2004 07:44:08 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marring:
The windows interface is just fine for me. I don't see the huge omfg giant difference in the windows and OSX interfaces. Heh.

Well the differences are much more obvious if you're a mac fanboi.

Like, for instance, certain things LOOK DIFFERENT! (ooooo!)

Instead of start, you click on the apple logo! (so efficient!)

Instead of right click, you have FUNCTION CLICK! (so...contemporary!)

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-09-2004 at 07:47 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 08:17:12 PM
I'll make this post worth something:

I'ma modify my main system with the theme I posted and post the results. I've never tried it before. I'll just revert to my current if I don't like it.

quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
Like, for instance, certain things LOOK DIFFERENT! (ooooo!)

Many people (such as me) are really into aesthetics. Macintosh makes much more of an effort to appeal to aesthetics whores (again, such as me). I like that. Personally I don't use a Mac of any kind, but I do like to spruce up my desktop/overall interface. If the one I like the best happens to be based off of Mac OSX, then I don't see what's wrong with using it over a theme like the one I'm using now.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-09-2004 at 08:28 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 10:03:52 PM
So, it's done (for now)

I'm dissatisfied with the wallpaper, but it's what came with the theme. I'll find an appropriate brushed graphite wallpaper later, if I decide to stick with this setup.

desktop

The dock probably looks really boring at this point, but when you highlight hover your mouse over an icon, you get something like you see here.

edit: All of the icons you see on the dock are either high res .ico files OR .png files. Normal icons can't stretch this much without looking like ass.

edit #2: Also note that the dock is on auto-hide for me. I took auto-hide off for the screenshots.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-09-2004 at 10:07 PM.

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2004 11:36:18 PM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
Many people (such as me) are really into aesthetics.

Well yeah, but Azizza implied there were functional reasons to prefer the mac os, I was merely jabbing at him. There really aren't. A little work and skinning removes any aesthetic reasons, too.

Some things are arranged nicer by default on OSX, some things are arranged nicer on WinXP. The only real functional difference is that OSX will only run on a Mac, and WinXP will run on anything but.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 11:38:03 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
Well yeah, but Azizza implied there were functional reasons to prefer the mac os, I was merely jabbing at him. There really aren't. A little work and skinning removes any aesthetic reasons, too.

Some things are arranged nicer by default on OSX, some things are arranged nicer on WinXP. The only real functional difference is that OSX will only run on a Mac, and WinXP will run on anything but.

Oh, I'll agree with you there. My new theme takes what is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Maradon!
posted 05-09-2004 11:47:17 PM
I was considering downloading one of those mac skins so that when someone with OSX calls in, I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

How accurate are they?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 11:54:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
I was considering downloading one of those mac skins so that when someone with OSX calls in, I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

How accurate are they?

This one isn't very accurate (how the fuck did WildTangent get on my system?), but I like the looks. I think there are more complete overhauls with programs like WindowsBlinds, but the way I'm doing it is just through the Windows Visual Style system, which doesn't change all that much.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 05-10-2004 02:43:06 AM
For shits and giggles i figured i mod my UI to OSX and I was suprised at how nice it came out My Desktop

Mike the Butcher fucked around with this message on 05-10-2004 at 02:43 AM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-10-2004 11:11:31 AM
quote:
Maradon! impressed everyone with:

Yes there are functional differences. OSX is a good bit faster and more streamlined. Not to mention a hell of a lot more secure.

But yes in this case I am just looking to make Windows look better.

Kegwen where can I get that?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-10-2004 11:17:53 AM
quote:
Azizza wrote this stupid crap:
Yes there are functional differences. OSX is a good bit faster and more streamlined. Not to mention a hell of a lot more secure.

But yes in this case I am just looking to make Windows look better.

Kegwen where can I get that?

Hey, when you are aprt of a 4% userbase, people just dont care about sdtealing your megahurtz -- they'll steal the 95%ish of Windows users' megahurtz.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 05-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-10-2004 12:06:58 PM
LOL. Keep in Mind that 4-5% market share is actually pretty good. Companies like Gateway and IBM only have 5%-6% market Share. Only Dell and HP have really high Market Share.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-10-2004 06:09:40 PM
I used this VS.

Now, in order to patch Windows so that you can use such a VS:

Download this

Boot into safe mode

Run the file. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT HAVE A WINDOWS CD IN YOUR CD-ROM DRIVE.

Restart. Place the visual style where it tells you to in the readme. Hell, you should be able to figure out everything AFTER the patching from the individual readmes.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 05-10-2004 06:15:35 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Cuba:
OSX is a good bit faster and more streamlined. Not to mention a hell of a lot more secure.

Uh... Since when? And what planet do you live on. Concidering if OSX encounters an error of any kind the whole SYSTEM becomes unstable, unlike XP where you can end the prorcesses without losing stability.

And it's only marginally more secure, and the main reason for that is because nobody really gives two shits about cracking a Mac.

ANd I wouldn't call it more streamlined, I'd call it proprietary bastardization. As opposed to full system integration with XP.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 05-10-2004 at 06:16 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-10-2004 06:35:31 PM
quote:
From the book of Faelynn LeAndris, chapter 3, verse 16:
Uh... Since when? And what planet do you live on. Concidering if OSX encounters an error of any kind the whole SYSTEM becomes unstable, unlike XP where you can end the prorcesses without losing stability.

And it's only marginally more secure, and the main reason for that is because nobody really gives two shits about cracking a Mac.

ANd I wouldn't call it more streamlined, I'd call it proprietary bastardization. As opposed to full system integration with XP.

I am assuming you haven't actually used OSX since everything you just said is flat out wrong

1: When OSX encounters a problem it shuts down that process. Even the finder (equivalent of Explorer) can be restarted without shutting down the entire system and without losing work in any other running app. Not once since OSX has come out have I had to shut down the system for an OS related error. The same can NOT be said for XP.

2:It is more secure due to the fact that it is based off of a Unix source code, some form of BSD if I remember correctly. Fewer people try to write malicious code for it since it is not as wide spread yes. But it also doesn't have the open door saying "hack me" like windows code does.

3: I would like to see what about it you call bastardization. You can't get much more integrated into the system than being written specifically for the hardware it is run on, unlike Windows which has to work on an almost infinite combination of hardware.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 05-10-2004 06:41:04 PM
quote:
Azizza stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I am assuming you haven't actually used OSX since everything you just said is flat out wrong

1: When OSX encounters a problem it shuts down that process. Even the finder (equivalent of Explorer) can be restarted without shutting down the entire system and without losing work in any other running app. Not once since OSX has come out have I had to shut down the system for an OS related error. The same can NOT be said for XP.

2:It is more secure due to the fact that it is based off of a Unix source code, some form of BSD if I remember correctly. Fewer people try to write malicious code for it since it is not as wide spread yes. But it also doesn't have the open door saying "hack me" like windows code does.

3: I would like to see what about it you call bastardization. You can't get much more integrated into the system than being written specifically for the hardware it is run on, unlike Windows which has to work on an almost infinite combination of hardware.

Unless OSX has been updated within the last year, yes, I have used it. ANd it caused many a headache for system lockup.

People don't care as much about an open door, and the fact that Windows has had more "Open Doors" applies to point 3 as well. Flat out, nobodies cares enough to hak a Mac. In fact, most who would write malicious code would find any 'LACK' of open doors to be more of a challenge and would go for it more. But, they don't care.

Point three is pretty much the DEFINITION of proprietary, not streamlined. MacOS ONLY works on systems desinged for a Mac, so in THAT atmosphere you could interchange proprietary with streamlined. Go outside it though, and Mac has no intergration whatsoever compared to XP or any other Windows based system which has intergration with MOST hardware, applications, and configurations out there compared to um... let me think... Oh yeah, Apple Systems.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-10-2004 06:46:53 PM
What version of OSX were you using?
if it was 10.0 then yeah you probably had issues since it was a very bad OS that they updated for free because of all the problems.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-10-2004 06:52:55 PM
Like here?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-10-2004 07:05:05 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Doomie said this:
Like here?

Wayyy too many tray icons. :/

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-10-2004 07:07:11 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about dark elf butts:
Wayyy too many tray icons. :/

Where'd you get the high res icons? If you made them yourself, do explain the process in which you made them thanks

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-10-2004 07:08:23 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Liam wrote:
Where'd you get the high res icons? If you made them yourself, do explain the process in which you made them thanks

Most of them came from here.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-10-2004 07:52:47 PM
I don't have that anymore, tres old. New look is found here.

Doomie fucked around with this message on 05-10-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-10-2004 08:23:45 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kegwen:
Most of them came from here.

danke danke.

Alaan
posted 05-10-2004 09:55:00 PM
quote:
Azizza said this about your mom:

I have repeatedly exploded explorer.exe on XP machines. It hiccups, whines a bit, then goes back to working after asking you if you want to send an error report.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-10-2004 11:09:45 PM
quote:
Alaan's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I have repeatedly exploded explorer.exe on XP machines. It hiccups, whines a bit, then goes back to working after asking you if you want to send an error report.

I didn't mean specifically Explorer when I said the machine forced a shut down or locked up. I honestly dont' remember what exactly caused it. But the fact remains that I have used OSX slightly longer than I have used Windows XP. Windows XP has given up the ghost more times than I can remember. OSX has never caused a system crash on me. Am I saying one is better than the other? Nah probably not. Both have advantages. However I much prefer OSX to windows.

Not a one of you can sit there and honestly tell me that Windows is a stable and secure environment by itself. It is bloatware. bad code written to patch worse code. I don't buy into the whole Microsoft is evil argument. I think they are a good company that has helped to advance the Home computer more than any other single entity. But they need to go back and write new code from the ground up and not just build on old code that has proven to have problems. I hope this is the path they have taken with Longhorn. But who knows.

I prefer the Mac because it is more efficient. The processor design is better per MHz than an equivalent intel chip by a large margin. And everything is made to work together. The OS is much better than XP for reasons I have given above. And if you are going to crack on it then bring some real arguments to the table. I have used Macs for a while. I hated them for a good long time but have slowly come to realize that they are better at many things. Including what I normally use them for.

That being said Steve Jobs needs to get his head out of his ass. The dual 2Gh G5 is a damn fine machine. Equal to all but the highest performance Intel Based machines. But IBM can produce 3GH PPC970 chips, Apple needs to use them. Because no one is going to be able to deny that a Dual 3GHz G5 will blow pretty much any other box you can create out of the water. But SJ has this thing about dragging his feet. Apple fan Boys defend it saying he knows what he is doing. I think he is an idiot for it myself.

Azizza fucked around with this message on 05-10-2004 at 11:10 PM.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-10-2004 11:16:05 PM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: