EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: For the jaded players out there.
Nina
posted 05-08-2004 03:44:18 AM
So very true.

You started with a fine little game,
With a never-ending quest as its name.
Kunark came and all was good,
Stopped at Velious, you really should.
Luclin skewed Norrathian vision,
Kitties in platemail? Who you kiddin'?
The Planes opened up through little pedestal books,
Maybe your flight plan should have been overlooked.
Then the Gods got pissed, as content was explored,
Thus giving rise to the Gates of Discord.
Let's not forget in all this mess,
Legacy of Ykesha came, noticed much less.
Now you give rise to the Omens of War,
Fuck you Sony, I'm out the door.
Too much to pay to upgrade the machine,
Just to play a game that should be dumped in the latrine.
You've ruined EverQuest three-fold,
Rate hikes, shit expansions; five encores!
Sometimes you've gotta wonder, if all this is true,
Should you really keep that PS2?
The Discman, the Walkman, all emblazoned,
The Sony Logo becoming a warning with reason.
Bastard corporation killed The Vision(TM),
Verant, and Brad McQuaid with it.
Five years down the drain,
Because Sony needed more pocket change.
A game I loved destroyed utterly,
By morons too greedy to see,
That soon EverQuest will be dead,
And their cash crop, number 2, won't fare well in its stead.
But we'll bid it farewell when the time comes,
For in all the hype it destroyed our fun.
We'll laugh and dance and bounce on its grave,
Then sign up for the next game.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-08-2004 03:49:42 AM
Sigil will be our savior.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 05-08-2004 03:57:38 AM
Check it out. Dawn "updated" their site last month with a crappy little one liner

Darius! fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 04:03 AM.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-08-2004 04:24:47 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Darius!:
Check it out. Dawn "updated" their site last month with a crappy little one liner

Blank site for me :\

edit: The poem is a little biased, but more of it holds true. As much as we complain.... hell, we're still playing* eh?

*General "we."

Bummey the Fool fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 04:29 AM.

Nirrudn
Pancake
posted 05-08-2004 09:43:11 AM
Kunark sucked, but Velious sucked more. Planes of Power has been the best expansion to date in my opinion, with Lost Dungeons being a close second.

(I was a Magician. I'm sure Kunark was great for the other classes.)

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 05-08-2004 10:06:35 AM
quote:
Darius! had this to say about dark elf butts:

Note the frequency of updates..

2/23/02 - Project X
8/27/02 - Upgrades and Continued Work (6 months...)
6/07/03 - The Prophecy Has Begun - "As sure as the sun will rise..." (just over 40 weeks.. coincidentally also the term of a pregnancy...)
3/31/04 - The Prophecy Continues - "...it will come. Requiring neither faith nor followers…it will come. Baring paths to lands undiscovered, making men of cowards and kings of men, bringing light to minds darkened by time…it will come." (a little over 42 weeks.. another pregnancy??)

The last one reminds me of Rachel Hunter in those shampoo commercials..

"Dawn: It won't happen overnight... but it WILL happen.."

[Edit:] Highlighted update frequency with timespan..

Abbikat fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-08-2004 11:48:16 AM
Had they continued to make Kunark and Velious-esque expansions, everyone would've quit a long time ago.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-08-2004 12:27:21 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Nirrudn said:
Kunark sucked, but Velious sucked more. Planes of Power has been the best expansion to date in my opinion, with Lost Dungeons being a close second.

(I was a Magician. I'm sure Kunark was great for the other classes.)

I may not have liked those two expansions much as a mage either, but they WERE the best expansions overall.

Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 05-08-2004 12:29:13 PM
From the Dawn Site

quote:

The Prophecy Has Begun 6/7/03

"As sure as the sun will rise..."

The Prophecy Continues 3/31/04

"…it will come. Requiring neither faith nor followers…it will come. Baring paths to lands undiscovered, making men of cowards and kings of men, bringing light to minds darkened by time…it will come."

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-08-2004 12:33:31 PM
quote:
Nirrudn had this to say about Pirotess:
Kunark sucked, but Velious sucked more.

Dude... Velious was the BEST. What the hell is wrong with you?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-08-2004 12:34:07 PM
quote:
Task System:
The task system allows players to go to various zones and request a task. These tasks are being designed for quick completion and are initially aimed at lower level players.

Custom PC Titles:
Players will be able to select titles for their characters based on various accomplishments. These titles will be available across all levels.

Content for lower levels? Spiffy stuff for lower levels? Finally! I've been waiting for this for ages.

Oh, no, wait. I stopped waiting and moved on to a different game. Oh well, we all know that what I think of as lower level and SOE thinks of as lower level are different things anyway.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-08-2004 12:48:53 PM
Brad McQuaid and The Vision equaled nothing but pointless timesinks they felt were necessary because it made the game "hard". It made it nothing but a big, fat pain in my wood elven ass. So many of the changes that have been made since he jumped ship (and good riddance) have been for the better, reducing the mindless timesinks that were a challenge only in testing someone's patience for doing mind-numbingly boring things. Now granted, the quests are still like this, at least most, but they've made monster improvements on making the game more enjoyable to play. Plus, and while they still need work, the game is much much more casual friendly now than it was when The Vision was still in effect. I honestly don't think, given that the casual player base makes up the majority of EQ now (which was confirmed by Brenlo on the EQ boards) that EQ would have nearly the population and success it does today if Verant were still in charge. I think it would have crashed and burned long ago.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Dave
)_(
posted 05-08-2004 01:00:48 PM
Kunark was and is the best expansion. It added huge zones with lots of areas to explore with one group. I guess the same could be said for velious... but I didn't care for it. loy was great... for maps and my bank space. pop is craptastic small zones that orginaly only a few people could goto. Ldon single group is good raids are crap. G.o.d is total crap it might be a tad better after the retuning.
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 05-08-2004 01:15:40 PM
Task System:
The task system allows players to go to various zones and request a task. These tasks are being designed for quick completion and are initially aimed at lower level players.
Custom PC Titles:
Players will be able to select titles for their characters based on various accomplishments. These titles will be available across all levels.

Both of those new things are direct Ripoffs of other games heh. Task system is from DAoC and the Title System is from Asheron's Call.

Mike the Butcher fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Nina
posted 05-08-2004 01:35:54 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool's fortune cookie read:

I think he just likes pooping mod rods every 3 minutes.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 05-08-2004 01:41:21 PM
Luclin was the best.
I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Jania Arindelil
posted 05-08-2004 02:19:56 PM
quote:
Mike the Butcher enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Both of those new things are direct Ripoffs of other games heh. Task system is from DAoC and the Title System is from Asheron's Call.

Actually from what I've heard FFXI uses a task system like that as well. And a title system like that has been suggested for a long time now on the message boards, and the devs make frequent appearances there. So it can't be said for sure that they got the idea from AO. Seeing as how a couple of other suggestions that were floating around the boards have gotten implemented, my money's on inspiration from their own players.

Jania Arindelil fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Jania Arindelil
Very Cranky Person
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-08-2004 02:29:26 PM
quote:
Zaile Ghostmaker's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Luclin was the best.

Because broken graphics engine, two-handed one-hand-poke, farming VT shards, incomplete and pointless zones and immunity to every spell in existance mobs were the brilliance of EQ.

Luclin brought three good things: A new class, AAs and Ssra.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-08-2004 02:34:36 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Zaza!
Because broken graphics engine, two-handed one-hand-poke, farming VT shards, incomplete and pointless zones and immunity to every spell in existance mobs were the brilliance of EQ.

Luclin brought three good things: A new class, AAs and Ssra.

But you've got to remember, he's an Everquest character! Luclin brought him into existence!

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 05-08-2004 02:36:46 PM
quote:
Mike the Butcher Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Most games use ideas from other games and, hopefully, improve on them. Your point?

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-08-2004 02:40:22 PM
quote:
Mike the Butcher had this to say about dark elf butts:
Task System:
Custom PC Titles:

DAoC was a ripoff of EQ. So was AC. And AO. And WoW. And so on.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Maradon!
posted 05-08-2004 02:44:16 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zaza booooze lime pole over bench lick:
DAoC was a ripoff of EQ. So was AC. And AO. And WoW. And so on.

And EQ was a ripoff of BG1's playstyle, and AD&D's characters and monsters.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 02:44 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2004 02:53:04 PM
I have three words for the next big thing: Shaq Fu Online
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-08-2004 03:12:01 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I have three words for the next big thing: Shaq Fu Online

YES

quote:
This one time, at Bummey the Fool camp:

Velious was not a good caster expansion, really. It was great for melee, but casters weren't nearly as effective with the 32k hp cap being lifted.

Velious was still a good overall expansion.

And now, just general stuff. While I may not have completely liked the vision, it did keep the game on track. alot of it nowadays has gone from raids that could be done potentially with smaller forces and good tactics, to "bring 72+ people and 25 clerics or you're screwed", down to 54 people raids with GoD.

Honestly, the game has become alot easier. Some of the changes I agree with, but then having instant travel to near everywhere in the game world makes things seem so...small. It makes it so that only zones close to port stones get any use.

And Luclin brought in Paludal Caverns, which is the most god awful unbalanced zone ever in a game. That zone fucking SUCKS, with a capital SUCKS.

Also, how was this research about casual player numbers done? What defines casual in this sense? Is it up to the players to determine it? Or was a concrete amount of "time per week" given? Most players that consider themselves casual are "semi-hardcore" players as opposed to casual.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Jania Arindelil
posted 05-08-2004 03:17:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
And EQ was a ripoff of BG1's playstyle, and AD&D's characters and monsters.

And D&D was a ripoff of Tolkien, and Tolkien ripped off old myths and legends for his characters and happenstances. Even the idea of a ring of power isn't old. Norse mythology, anyone?

My world history teacher told us that if we could bring him an entirely original idea that had no roots in any other, we would get an instant A. Nobody could.

Jania Arindelil
Very Cranky Person
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2004 03:19:13 PM
If you're looking for purely original literature, check under "F" for "Fucking Non Existant."

But it seems rather pointless to judge it based off others' and not on its own merits.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-08-2004 04:02:16 PM
quote:
Jania Arindelil had this to say about Pirotess:
And D&D was a ripoff of Tolkien, and Tolkien ripped off old myths and legends for his characters and happenstances. Even the idea of a ring of power isn't old. Norse mythology, anyone?

My world history teacher told us that if we could bring him an entirely original idea that had no roots in any other, we would get an instant A. Nobody could.

Exactly. So the entire "Blah is a ripoff of..." argument is really pointless.

Jania Arindelil
posted 05-08-2004 05:47:18 PM
quote:
From the book of Zaza, chapter 3, verse 16:
Exactly. So the entire "Blah is a ripoff of..." argument is really pointless.

My point exactly. I see it all the time on the main EQ boards when a new expansion or feature comes out, and there really is no basis for it.

And frankly, I think it's rather ironic that a people who play a game named Dark Ages of *Camelot* bitch about someone else "ripping off" that game.

Jania Arindelil
Very Cranky Person
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 05-08-2004 05:51:51 PM
quote:
From the book of Jania Arindelil, chapter 3, verse 16:
Brad McQuaid and The Vision equaled nothing but pointless timesinks they felt were necessary because it made the game "hard". It made it nothing but a big, fat pain in my wood elven ass. So many of the changes that have been made since he jumped ship (and good riddance) have been for the better, reducing the mindless timesinks that were a challenge only in testing someone's patience for doing mind-numbingly boring things. Now granted, the quests are still like this, at least most, but they've made monster improvements on making the game more enjoyable to play. Plus, and while they still need work, the game is much much more casual friendly now than it was when The Vision was still in effect. I honestly don't think, given that the casual player base makes up the majority of EQ now (which was confirmed by Brenlo on the EQ boards) that EQ would have nearly the population and success it does today if Verant were still in charge. I think it would have crashed and burned long ago.

Is it a bad thing I read that as 'wooden elf ass' instead of 'wood elven ass'?

I mean, you, too can have buns of ...wood... in 3 easy steps! Like less-hardcore buns of steel.

Skaw
posted 05-08-2004 06:08:29 PM
quote:
Jania Arindelil spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Actually from what I've heard FFXI uses a task system like that as well.

Missions can take a long time to do. Same with alot of the easier quests. Because even though they're a cakewalk, finding willing people to work without reward is often difficult

But FFXI does have a title system too, like this gem:

Skaw fucked around with this message on 05-08-2004 at 06:10 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2004 07:40:54 PM
I've got a poem for EverQuest

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
EQ will suck,
But not WoW, Dabu

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 05-08-2004 07:57:05 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I've got a poem for EverQuest

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
EQ will suck,
But not WoW, Dabu

Did anyone else just hear a bell?

Because SOE just got SCHOOLED! OHHH!

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 05-09-2004 01:02:00 AM
WoW will suck.
EQ2 will suck.
Vanguard will most probably suck.
Nothing will ever surpass the original EverQuest.
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-09-2004 01:02:52 AM
quote:
Pesco wrote this stupid crap:
WoW will suck.
EQ2 will suck.
Vanguard will most probably suck.

Yes
Yes
No
Yes

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 05-09-2004 02:33:00 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Jania Arindelil said:
Even the idea of a ring of power isn't old. Norse mythology, anyone?

Richard Wagner (pronounced Vaugner not Wagner) comes to mind.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 04:04:21 AM
quote:
Pesco obviously shouldn't have said:

Something did before EverQuest even came out.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-09-2004 11:45:51 AM
We had a conversation along similar lines in the stupid.net #Talera channel a while back (couple days ago, maybe).

As Jan and Za pointed out, the "X stole ideas from Y" argument is stupid. ALL of these games share ideas and learn from the experiences of the previous iteration. UO to EQ to AC to DAOC to whatever comes next.

Another stupid argument is the one that goes "X will be the game that kills Y" but you hear that a lot too. UO's still alive, folks, and both UO and EQ have player-operated servers. And that will keep these games alive. What kept Starcraft alive online? Massive patches? Expansions? Hell no. What kept Starcraft alive is the fact you can play a (by and large) pretty solid game online for free. Everquest is more than FIVE YEARS OLD at this point. It's still the biggest game on the market (even though it wasn't the first MMORPG out). It's survived AC (admittedly not hard to do), and DAoC (tougher competition because they're so similar and have the same genre).

I consider EQ2, SWG, CoH, and WoW as being "Gen2" games. These are the games that learned from their Gen1 Predecessors (UO, EQ, DAoC, AO, AC) and are operating on the idea of relieving some of the deficiencies of their predecessors with new ideas. Who INITIALLY came up with some of the ideas is fundamentally pointless on a "X stole from Y" basis. Comparison use is the only good way to use back-referencing comments.

So what will kill EQ? SWG and CoH are out because while they're MMORPG's (sort of), they're sci-fi and comic book genre games, respectively. That leaves EQ2 and WoW. EQ2 has the staff, the personnel, the hardware. WoW has Blizzard (not as big as Sony, but still a respectable company) backing it, and since Blizzard is putting a lot on the line for WoW, it's safe to assume they've bought the staff, the personnel, the hardware. EQ2's big advantage is that they have experience, but WoW can vicariously learn the lessons. So arguing that any game will assassinate EQ like a ninja in the night is fun because it pisses people off, but ultimately stupid. WoW and EQ2 will have a healthy rivalry, just as EQ and DAoC did. You NEED that rivalry to keep the envelope pushed comfortably back.

Personally I think EQ (the first) won't ever be "killed" by anything. I think it will live out to venerable old age, and then live on in the hands of private players who run their own servers.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Darius!
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 10:31:35 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was listening to Cher while typing:
Everquest is more than FIVE YEARS OLD at this point. It's still the biggest game on the market (even though it wasn't the first MMORPG out).

To my knowledge, FFXI is currently beating out EQ slightly in terms of subscribers. Nothing will ever be able to compare with how huge Lineage was, though.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-09-2004 10:54:40 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Darius!:
To my knowledge, FFXI is currently beating out EQ slightly in terms of subscribers.

Uhhh... Wow. I wouldn't have expected that. Then again, I thought FFXI was just another failed MMORPG.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 05-09-2004 11:00:07 PM
quote:
Kegwen wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Uhhh... Wow. I wouldn't have expected that. Then again, I thought FFXI was just another failed MMORPG.

MMORPG subscription chart.

I'm almost certain that a good deal of those people have cancelled their FFXI accounts, but who knows, FF fans are fucking nuts.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: