EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Omens of War
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 02:21:55 PM
New expansion announced today:

http://everquest.station.sony.com/omensofwar/index.jsp

Level cap of 70, Epic Weapons 2.0 (new high end epics) more content. Spells, AA's, items. etc

http://www.bloodfin.net
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-06-2004 02:31:10 PM
Asagdflm...
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-06-2004 02:37:00 PM
Looks like they are really starting to lead up to the cataclysm.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 02:52:06 PM
GoD is broken to shit. Their DX9 engine is broken to shit. Luclin models are still broken to shit.

Yet they will release new graphics.

Hooray.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-06-2004 03:13:48 PM
How is the DX9 engine broken to shit? When I stopped playing they managed to get rid of any noticable bugs in it.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-06-2004 03:15:25 PM
Don't know about GOD since my guild is only Teir 3 right now and haven't gotten there. But DX9 seems to be working great.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 03:26:15 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
How is the DX9 engine broken to shit? When I stopped playing they managed to get rid of any noticable bugs in it.

Mobs are falling through floors (depopping them) in VT, elementals, time and similar zones. Players and mobs are getting stuck in trees.

Guild on my past server had Fennin Ro fall through the floor of his lair and depop.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 05-06-2004 at 03:26 PM.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 03:28:49 PM
quote:
Azizza impressed everyone with:
Don't know about GOD since my guild is only Teir 3 right now and haven't gotten there. But DX9 seems to be working great.

GoD is like... the exp in the zones is abysmal for how hard it is. It caters entirely to holy trinity, because noone but warriors and maybe 0.5% of the paladins/sks can tank the mobs in places like Ikkinz trials. Uqua is a huge, insanely hard barrier for getting anywhere in GoD, and guess what? The script for completing Uqua is broken about 75% of the time, with the final boss never becoming targetable, so you can't complete the zone. AND after getting people used to 72 people raids, and guilds recruiting for 72 people raids, raids in GoD are now limited to 54 people, so non-critical classes get to sit out.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 05-06-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 03:30:43 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about dark elf butts:
GoD is like... the exp in the zones is abysmal for how hard it is. It caters entirely to holy trinity, because noone but warriors and maybe 0.5% of the paladins/sks can tank the mobs in places like Ikkinz trials. Uqua is a huge, insanely hard barrier for getting anywhere in GoD, and guess what? The script for completing Uqua is broken about 75% of the time, with the final boss never becoming targetable, so you can't complete the zone. AND after getting people used to 72 people raids, and guilds recruiting for 72 people raids, raids in GoD are now limited to 54 people, so non-critical classes get to sit out.

Holy duo of cle / war more like. You don't need enchanters in GoD since they made most of the place charm immune.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 03:31:07 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Holy duo of cle / war more like. You don't need enchanters in GoD since they made most of the place charm immune.

Yeah. My bad.

Skaw
posted 05-06-2004 03:34:57 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't happen, SOE beats the dead horse enough to out expansion Maxis.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-06-2004 03:37:50 PM
This is, what, the next-to-last expansion?

Maybe the last expansion will have those rat people as a playable race.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 03:39:27 PM
Lots of speculation on this being thrown around. Some are saying this expansion is to make GoD a bit easier to handle. Others are stating that it's to keep some of thier best players in the game for a while longer after this was found on the Afterlife messageboard.
Afterlife Leaving EQ?

This was also announced yesterday

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=62046

Gates of Discord gets retuned!

Greetings Norrath!

Gates of Discord is being tuned to rework many of the experience areas to better balance the expansion for all classes. It is our hope that this re-tuning will allow for more group diversity and better use of individual class skills while maintaining the challenge of the new content. We hope to roll out these changes within the next 2 weeks. Here's a quick breakdown of what's changed -
* Experience has been increased in several zones.
* Natimbi, Qinimi, Barindu, Riwwi, and Ferubi should be tuned more appropriately for their intended level ranges.
* NPCs will no longer hit for max damage as often. Knights in particular should find it easier to tank mobs they previously had difficulty with.
* Spell drops have been increased.
* Zone travel has been made easier.
* NPC innates have been adjusted to behave a little more reasonably.
* Animals in various zones across Gates have been made non-agro.

Note: Please keep in mind that these changes do not affect every zone.
We would like to thank all of the folks on the Test Server who have been helping with the re-working of the encounters and we hope that you enjoy the changes when they go live in the very near future.

Thanks all!

The EverQuest Design Team

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 03:40:31 PM
Note they don't mention fixing Uqua or changing raids to 72 people again... the raid deal is what crippled many guilds the most. Who wants to sit out?
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 03:43:11 PM
The new Rogue epic is going to look stupid, I just know it (((
Taeolas
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 03:49:35 PM
quote:
Zaza probably says this to all the girls:

Actually it looks like the Uqua script has been completed. Details are at:

http://www.archoverseers.org/

(Read about this on TNZ this morning). So the script isn't broken any more.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 04:02:05 PM
Too bad Uqua is still buggy as hell!
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 04:15:30 PM
quote:
This one time, at Taeolas camp:
Actually it looks like the Uqua script has been completed. Details are at:

http://www.archoverseers.org/

(Read about this on TNZ this morning). So the script isn't broken any more.

It is. It just doesn't break all the time. Much like RZtW.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 05-06-2004 04:27:15 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool attempted to be funny by writing:

I just wonder if the Necros are going to keep the Duck look with the new epics.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 05-06-2004 04:40:51 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about Robocop:

I hope they don't make it as easy as the zerker epic. That is to say, telling you where to go in a zone, what the spawn is named, and other information like that. I liked the fact that for the first epic the people actually had to think about what to hunt down.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 04:50:36 PM
quote:
Tegadil had this to say about Knight Rider:
I hope they don't make it as easy as the zerker epic. That is to say, telling you where to go in a zone, what the spawn is named, and other information like that. I liked the fact that for the first epic the people actually had to think about what to hunt down.

It's one of the hardest epics, though. The epic mobs are infinitely harder than the old-world ones.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-06-2004 04:54:08 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool obviously shouldn't have said:
It's one of the hardest epics, though. The epic mobs are infinitely harder than the old-world ones.

It's not precisely as outdated as the other epics.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 05-06-2004 05:30:59 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bummey the Fool:

I'd prefer more of a roleplay type thing to sheer toughness of mobs. Furthermore, I don't think they really tried. They just threw down a bunch of mobs in random zones (and weren't even sublte about it), and the story was to find a way to control your rage. Hell, I much prefer the whole battle against Inny that rangers had, or the greenmist story.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 06:15:58 PM
It doesn't specifically say level 70 does it? I just saw on the website "Advance Beyond level 65"

I think that SoE totally screwed up with GoD and the latest storyline starting with the Wayfarer's Brotherhood/LDoN is simply terrible. Unfortunately they decided that since everyone liked LDoN so much that instanced zones etc are the way to go. While my guild hasn't even attempted to Kod'taz, my friends in the uber raiding guilds (tm) say that it is utter shite, and the worst expansion ever. I must agree with this.

So here we have a last ditch effort to get some more money out of the Everquest subscribers, and as Kaglaaz pointed out, alleviate some of the panic I'm sure some players are feeling at the fact that there are no god-like guilds to look up to. (With Afterlife disbanding, Fires of Heaven quit months ago, and Triton has a new leader) I don't base my playing off of these guilds, but I have to admit I'd be a little worried if Ascent or maybe Forsaken on RN decided to quit EQ. Why? Because the uber-guilds have always been on the cutting-edge of content and play... and if the ones that are months ahead of you quit... what does that say about the future of the game?

Basically there is an overflow of content, but most of it is not worthwhile. GoD exp sucks severly at this point in time (though they say they are retuning it) and EP are still relatively crowded right now. PoP was a decent expansion I guess with the progression it offered, though tedious, kept zones about equal to the skill-level of the player. (Though I still do see gimp-bards who can't pull in fire but I digress) We are seeing the effects of trying to milk as much money out of EQ as possible before it dies, and the sad fact is that instead of abandoning of fixing this atrocious storyline and the terrible progression of GoD, push on and get as much $$$ as possible.

Mod
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 06:21:55 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Noxhil:
It doesn't specifically say level 70 does it? I just saw on the website "Advance Beyond level 65"

I think that SoE totally screwed up with GoD and the latest storyline starting with the Wayfarer's Brotherhood/LDoN is simply terrible. Unfortunately they decided that since everyone liked LDoN so much that instanced zones etc are the way to go. While my guild hasn't even attempted to Kod'taz, my friends in the uber raiding guilds (tm) say that it is utter shite, and the worst expansion ever. I must agree with this.

So here we have a last ditch effort to get some more money out of the Everquest subscribers, and as Kaglaaz pointed out, alleviate some of the panic I'm sure some players are feeling at the fact that there are no god-like guilds to look up to. (With Afterlife disbanding, Fires of Heaven quit months ago, and Triton has a new leader) I don't base my playing off of these guilds, but I have to admit I'd be a little worried if Ascent or maybe Forsaken on RN decided to quit EQ. Why? Because the uber-guilds have always been on the cutting-edge of content and play... and if the ones that are months ahead of you quit... what does that say about the future of the game?

Basically there is an overflow of content, but most of it is not worthwhile. GoD exp sucks severly at this point in time (though they say they are retuning it) and EP are still relatively crowded right now. PoP was a decent expansion I guess with the progression it offered, though tedious, kept zones about equal to the skill-level of the player. (Though I still do see gimp-bards who can't pull in fire but I digress) We are seeing the effects of trying to milk as much money out of EQ as possible before it dies, and the sad fact is that instead of abandoning of fixing this atrocious storyline and the terrible progression of GoD, push on and get as much $$$ as possible.

Second-worst imo, Luclin still has it beat with the eyeball-razorblading keyquests, then again I've not seen qvic yet since I quit the game a few weeks ago.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Zair
The Imp
posted 05-06-2004 06:24:52 PM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about Captain Planet:
fixing this atrocious storyline

What IS the current storyline in EQ?

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 06:24:53 PM
quote:
Tegadil obviously shouldn't have said:
I'd prefer more of a roleplay type thing to sheer toughness of mobs. Furthermore, I don't think they really tried. They just threw down a bunch of mobs in random zones (and weren't even sublte about it), and the story was to find a way to control your rage. Hell, I much prefer the whole battle against Inny that rangers had, or the greenmist story.

Yeah, same with the beastlord epic. The weapons are almost the exact same thing as the Swiftwind and Earthcaller. Same effects on both, with slight differences in stats.

SOE is killing this game with every patch and every expansion

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 06:39:11 PM
quote:
Noxhil spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Oh yes it does.

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 05-06-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 06:40:38 PM
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 06:41:14 PM
Bloody hell, they changed it! It said level 70 earlier today!
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 06:49:49 PM
quote:
Mod thought about the meaning of life:
Second-worst imo, Luclin still has it beat with the eyeball-razorblading keyquests, then again I've not seen qvic yet since I quit the game a few weeks ago.

Luclin had some good (well... lets keep it in perspective lol) ideas with AA and VT was/is one of my favorite raid zones. I thought the loot progression and mob difficulty was pretty decent although the time-sinks (shards anyone?... oh wait and bane weapons too) were fairly exessive. GoD lacks focus and anything compelling at all. We see mudflation and I know lots of people are shrugging at 190hp items now as the mentality is "When do we see the 300 hp ones." GoD's lack of focus regarding the story, loot, and gameplay is deadly. Half the time people don't even know why the hell they are killing things. (Although admittedly... I never really had a reason for killing mobs like Rumblecrush and Itraer Vius, but I digress) Also the new songs/spells were terrible I think.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-06-2004 06:52:07 PM
You forgot to mention PoP as the worst expansion ever, Nox.
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-06-2004 08:22:57 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bummey the Fool stammered:
You forgot to mention PoP as the worst expansion ever, Nox.

I dunno... PoP wasn't bad for me. I was (and am not) on the very cutting edge of the game, and thus most encounters were *reasonably* (read: RZtW) fixed and beatable. Yes things like PoK really screwed up a lot of game mechanics but overall I think PoP was a decent expansion with Elemental/Ornate armor and some decent quests. I never really saw the bugs, but I know people were up in flames about Rathe, Time, Tactics encounters etc. being broken when the expansion came out.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-06-2004 11:22:27 PM
I hope to all hell that mages get the easy epic this time around.

Gimme one that can be done in 6 hours like the rogue epic, please. Not one that took me 4 months to finish, and a guildmate over a year to finish.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-06-2004 11:24:47 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr obviously shouldn't have said:

Gimme one that can be done in 6 hours like the rogue epic, please. Not one that took me 4 months to finish, and a guildmate over a year to finish.

I hope nobody gets an easy epic.

Maradon!
posted 05-06-2004 11:31:08 PM
Necros got the easy epic last time around - they bought the effect off a merchant at level 49.
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 05-07-2004 02:56:49 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Skaw stammered:
Just when you thought it couldn't happen, SOE beats the dead horse enough to out expansion Maxis.

This made me laugh. Prolly the only good feeling I've gotten out of this expansion announcement.

quote:
JooJooFlop:
This is, what, the next-to-last expansion?

No. Theres at least another one after this, I'm pretty sure it was said at the fan faire that there were two expansions still in the works.

Now that they have beaten the horse dead, they have to grind it into meat.

And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 05-07-2004 04:58:12 AM
I dunno. I'm wary of raising the level cap to 70 without there being a damned good reason ASIDE from "highest-level people will bitch a little less".

The simple fact is that if they up the level to 70ish, then most of the zones will have to cater to that even though GoD really caters to a higher end crowd (though as has been mentioned, a lot of GoD zones are supposedly tweaked to be more accessible to a broader base of players). Given that they update zones to Elemental+ degrees doesn't seem particularly fair if they're adding high end content.

GoD was broken in a lot of ways; the zones were, two or three in, impossible to handle with people in anything less than a two or three group raid in some occasions. Corpse runs were a nightmare (I remember getting ganked one night and it was tricky getting my body out since there's shit that sees through all invis, can't be mezzed, hits for heinous damage, etc). But if that was meant to be the raiders' paradise, so be it. I hope this next expansion fills in some of the blanks.

The two biggest things I saw with GoD were 1. New tradeskill stuff (I love the new alchemy potions I can brew), and 2. A number of ridiculously difficult to get spells were made available from vendors (Canni 2 had a quest that was inordinately difficult in the modern era, but now you can buy it off a GoD vendor). I've done some moderate hunting in Natimbi, but haven't really penetrated any farther. I'm still working on getting myself to 60.

I will, however, say that there's been something for me in every expansion, be it Luclin, Velious, PoP, GoD, or Ykesha. So despite my reservations with it, I will give the new expansion the benefit of the doubt until I give it a try.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Talonus
Loner
posted 05-07-2004 07:50:00 AM
quote:
Noxhil's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

I know its not from an EQ site, but "This expansion will feature new high-level Epic weapons while raising the player level cap to level 70."

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-07-2004 01:15:23 PM
Level 70 is Demi-god status... I doubt we'll be able to breach the pantheon

quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Tron:

Rogue epic *CAN* be done in 6 hours, if you're lucky, but most rogues spend weeks trying to get their note from Tani. It's entirely too rare of a 'drop.' Sure, the rogue epic was gimped heavily but it's not as easy as everyone thinks.

On another note, I bet they're going to incorporate the current epics into the Epic2.0 quests. There are so many mages, necros and warriors who will be pissed off that they need to, finally, go and do their epic.

Bummey the Fool fucked around with this message on 05-07-2004 at 01:19 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: