EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Typing
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-28-2004 12:27:41 AM
When you type something, do you add one space or two between a period and a new sentence. I believe that I was always taught to doublespace, but I have a friend who claims you are only supposed to have one space. That makes sense, since that is how it is in books, etc.

Still, I was always taught to doublespace.

Which is it? Or does it even matter?

Answer me this age old question, please.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-28-2004 12:28:38 AM
It used to be doublespace. In the age of word processors and such, that's changed.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-28-2004 12:30:20 AM
Was never tought to doublespace.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-28-2004 12:31:55 AM
It used to be doublespaced in order for actual typed reports (you know, typed on olde fashioned mechanical typewriters) to show the space. And it gave more moolah if you were charging by the letter/line.

For now, it's singlespace, since the lettering is less indistinct.

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-28-2004 12:34:59 AM
And I was taught this well after the days of typewriters.

Bastard teachers. I shall continue my double spacing ways, however, because they make me feel like I have less to type when writing papers.

Steven Steve
posted 04-28-2004 12:37:16 AM
I was always taught one space, because it's manlier.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-28-2004 12:40:03 AM
I was on Word today writing a paper, I've always used one space out of laziness, but the spell checker kept on highlighting any periods I used without two spaces after it. I 'think' the official one is two spaces, but nobody cares if you use one.

Call me sometime this week and we'll play a few games of Frozen Throne!

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-28-2004 12:42:47 AM
It's two spaces. If you think otherwise you're either a heathen, a douchebag or a complete moron.
Darius!
Pancake
posted 04-28-2004 12:43:19 AM
I was taught to double space.

Darius! fucked around with this message on 04-28-2004 at 12:44 AM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-28-2004 12:43:52 AM
I feel redeemed now. Huzzah.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 04-28-2004 01:21:10 AM
It's two spaces behind the period in normal writing. Journalism only uses one, for space reasons.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Maradon!
posted 04-28-2004 02:17:33 AM
The rule has always been double space for type writers. This was done because periods would frequently smudge or be skipped over and the double space helped accentuate them. The advent of computers reduced the spaces to one because such problems are a thing of the past.

The only people who double space now are college students with a minimum page count but no minimum word count and people who needlessly cling to the past.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-28-2004 02:24:07 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
The rule has always been double space for type writers. This was done because periods would frequently smudge or be skipped over and the double space helped accentuate them. The advent of computers reduced the spaces to one because such problems are a thing of the past.

The only people who double space now are college students with a minimum page count but no minimum word count and people who needlessly cling to the past.

My mom doesn't even double space anymore.

And she was a medical/legal transcriptionist with manual typewriters AND computers. ;p

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-28-2004 02:36:00 AM
From one official source - The MLA
quote:
How many spaces should I leave after a period or other concluding mark of punctuation?
Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after a punctuation mark as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, most publishers' guidelines for preparing a manuscript on disk ask authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print.

Because it is increasingly common for papers and manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all punctuation marks, this spacing is shown in the examples in the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual. [BOLD]As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise.[/BOLD]

Second Official Publication Source - APA Publication Manual

quote:
Q: In typing class I learned that two spaces always follow a period, but your Publication Manual says one space should follow all punctuation. Why is this?

A: Unlike manual typewriters, word-processing software uses fonts that result in proportional spacing, so additional spacing around periods is no longer necessary. Uniform spacing around punctuation also saves a step in preparing word-processing files for electronic editing. As a publisher, APA does not return manuscripts on the basis of the spacing around punctuation.

Finally, from the Chicago Manual of Style

quote:
Q. Please help. I have confusion regarding the correct spacing after periods and other closing punctuation.

A. The view at CMS is that there is no reason for two spaces after a period in published work. Some people, however—my colleagues included—prefer it, relegating this preference to their personal correspondence and notes. I’ve noticed in old American books printed in the few decades before and after the turn of the last century (ca. 1870–1930 at least) that there seemed to be a trend in publishing to use extra space (sometimes quite a bit of it) after periods. And many people were taught to use that extra space in typing class (I was). But introducing two spaces after the period causes problems: (1) it is inefficient, requiring an extra keystroke for every sentence; (2) even if a program is set to automatically put an extra space after a period, such automation is never foolproof; (3) there is no proof that an extra space actually improves readability—as your comment suggests, it’s probably just a matter of familiarity (Who knows? perhaps it’s actually more efficient to read with less regard for sentences as individual units of thought—many centuries ago, for example in ancient Greece, there were no spaces even between words, and no punctuation); (4) two spaces are harder to control for than one in electronic documents (I find that the earmark of a document that imposes a two-space rule is a smattering of instances of both three spaces and one space after a period, and two spaces in the middle of sentences); and (5) two spaces can cause problems with line breaks in certain programs.

So, in our efficient, modern world, I think there is no room for two spaces after a period. In the opinion of this particular copyeditor, this is a good thing.

So, do what you like unless some official tells you differently.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-28-2004 02:38:12 AM
Hmmm, good to hear what the MLA has to say, since that is what most of my papers have to be in.

Either way? Guess I'll stick with doublespace. It comes so natural it would be a hard habit to break.

Alaan
posted 04-28-2004 08:32:20 AM
quote:
Zair said this about your mom:
Hmmm, good to hear what the MLA has to say, since that is what most of my papers have to be in.

Either way? Guess I'll stick with doublespace. It comes so natural it would be a hard habit to break.

Same here. And I've had English teachers tell me to do two spaces as well. Typing just one would feel so wrong.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-28-2004 08:47:06 AM
Single or double doesn't really matter. It needs to be readable, and it needs to be consistent. Beyond that, either method is fine, unless specific instructions are given.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 04-28-2004 03:42:10 PM
Always use two spaces here, out of habit. Not like it matters half the time since most web sites strip a double space down to a single.
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 04-28-2004 07:29:07 PM
I was taught to double space, but I usually forget to.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Ocyrrhoe Trazere
Bootylicious!!
posted 04-28-2004 07:58:43 PM
quote:
From the book of Mr. Parcelan, chapter 3, verse 16:
It's two spaces. If you think otherwise you're either a heathen, a douchebag or a complete moron.

Indeed.

"Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you."

Full sigpic image.
Liam - "Caitlin: You terrify me, but in a good way."

Suddar
posted 04-28-2004 08:08:11 PM
I double space out of habit, even though there's really no need to anymore.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 04-28-2004 08:39:07 PM
I always doublespace after periods. To do otherwise just feels...wrong.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-28-2004 08:40:50 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Was never tought to doublespace.
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 04-28-2004 10:00:47 PM
I used to doublespace, til I got into the web dev business. The way HTML works, double spacing is pointless
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-29-2004 01:27:07 AM
They can have that second space after the period when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Gadani
U
posted 04-29-2004 01:39:39 AM
I double space out of habit.

It's proper English, but not proper typing. Oh well.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 04-29-2004 10:19:53 AM
quote:
Cherveny had this to say about Robocop:
I always doublespace after periods. To do otherwise just feels...wrong.

HAH!

I always double space out of habit. Besides it's a sort of mental barrier too. To double space means that sentence and thought are finished.

Interestingly enough Microsoft Office does mark single spaces after periods as punctuation errors and often it even fixes them by itself, which must be annoying to those who need to single space.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-29-2004 11:33:45 AM
Oh, but I fixed Word so it wouldn't do the double-space after a period correction. :neener:
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Maradon!
posted 04-29-2004 01:12:57 PM
quote:
x--VernaltemptressO-('-'Q) :
Oh, but I fixed Word so it wouldn't do the double-space after a period correction. :neener:

Mine doesn't mark them as errors, and I didn't fix it.

Maradon!
posted 04-29-2004 07:46:52 PM
In fact when I try to doublespace, MS Office tells me it's unnesscessary.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 04-29-2004 08:08:19 PM
Doublespace is unnecessary nowadays, so I don't use it.

Way back when, when typewriters had just been invented, each typed character took up the same amount of space on a page. An i, for example, took up just as much space as an O. So, if you were to single-space after a period, someone may think you've just put a space there, and the sentence continues. They may not notice the period. If they have to strain just to see where your sentences end, then you've written a poor paper.

Nowadays, however, fonts have letters that take up only as much space as they need. So, an i generally no longer takes as much space as an O, a 1 no longer takes as much space as a 3. So, if you single-space after a period, someone can still easily see where the sentence begins and ends. You can double-space, but it's redundant. Single-spacing takes that much less time and effort, and produces the same result.

So, in short, it all depends on what kind of font you use. Monospace (All take the same amount of space), and two spaces after each period; Multispace (All take only what space they need), and two spaces is possible but becomes redundant.

That's all I learned in Computers class, which went every day for a single semester. Everything else I was taught, I already knew. Free credit and waste of time! Huzzah!

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-30-2004 06:05:01 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I double space out of habit.

It's proper English, but not proper typing. Oh well.

So you do that doublespace in... in handwriting?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: