EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Guys
Suddar
posted 04-20-2004 10:30:20 AM
I drive on the freeway for the first time in 30 minutes.

It's so faaaasst. Save me.

Or give me helpful pointers so I don't die.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-20-2004 10:31:58 AM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Tron:
I drive on the freeway for the first time in 30 minutes.

It's so faaaasst. Save me.

Or give me helpful pointers so I don't die.

Remember, remain calm and don't panic. A new driver who panics on the freeway/interstate is very dangerous.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-20-2004 10:32:17 AM
If you let someone over into your lane during high traffic, either hug their ass once they have crossed or resign yourself to not moving while everyone forces their way in front of you.

And go with the flow of traffic, not the speed limit.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ares
posted 04-20-2004 10:34:00 AM
Speed up to merge. You might want to stay in the lane closest to your exit (right) just so that you don't panic when you have to get over to get off. You really just have to pay more attention when you're going on and off the highway.

Good luck! You'll be fine. ^.^

(P.S. I've never driven a car, so don't really listen to me... I instructed my sister though.. o_O)

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 04-20-2004 10:35:20 AM
Flip the car.
Azakias
posted 04-20-2004 10:35:32 AM
Oh yeah, and remember to slow down (25mph) before you take an exit.

I almost made my supervisor piss himself when I took an exit at 55mph.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Suddar
posted 04-20-2004 10:40:54 AM
What about low traffic, high speed driving situations? It's not rush hour either way, the roads are going to be fairly clear. Is that safer than it sounds?

(still cars of course, just not loads of them.)

Suddar fucked around with this message on 04-20-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Azakias
posted 04-20-2004 10:45:59 AM
Oh, in that case, obey the speed limit (if you are taking your test) and keep a good following distance.

Highway driving is actually easier than normal roads cause aside from changing lanes and taking exits, you arent doing anything but going in a straight line. (or curvy line, etc)

Just dont get weirded out by the other cars around you.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-20-2004 10:46:07 AM
Much safer in the US than in Europe.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-20-2004 10:52:46 AM
Highways have an advantage over normal roads, because you don't have to watch for lights. You usually don't have to watch for pedestrians either.

Only turn the wheel slightly to change lanes. Because of your speed, you can drift over pretty easily, so unless you're weaving through traffic, there's no reason to yank the wheel. Just turn it a little, straighten, drift over, turn it the other way a little, straighten, you're done. If you can help it, try not to change lanes on sharp curves, because you can't see far ahead or behind. Or better yet, don't change lanes, since it's your first time.

DO NOT STOP at the foot of the entrance ramp to wait for traffic to clear. Use the ramp to find an open spot between cars, and speed up so that you can slip into that spot. You'll probably cover half the distance of the cars on the road as you enter, so look for a gap between 3 and 6 car-lengths behind you when you come around the turn and get your first look at the highway.

DO NOT tailgate the person in front of you on the entrance ramp, or you'll end up fighting over a spot... and he'll win. Or he could be dumb, and come to a stop at the bottom of the ramp (see above), causing an accident for which he can blame you.

Look a few cars ahead, for signs of break lights. If you're in the right lane and cars are merging in, don't speed up or slow down. Let them find their spots and merge. After they're in, then you can slow down or speed up to give them room. Apply the break only gently, unless the person in front of you has his breaks on and appears to be getting closer fast.

Don't panic. If someone cuts you off, take your foot off the gas, and if he's slowing down in front of you, very gently touch the break for a couple seconds. If you slam on the breaks without reason, you could cause an accident. However, if he swerves in front of you and slams on his breaks (thus appearing to get very close very fast), then both you and your driving instructor should slam your breaks, because this only happens when a person is trying to cause an accident (so he can sue you for fake injuries). Don't worry, this is rare.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 04-20-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Sean
posted 04-20-2004 11:16:44 AM
I just woke up and haven't really cleared my eyes out. When I saw who posted, I misread it as Soldar and got all excited because I haven't seen him in a while.

Then I noticed it was Suddar and went "Eh."

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-20-2004 11:40:17 AM
Come drive the Garden State Parkway in summer, it will probaly prepare you for the rest of your life..or scar you for the rest of it.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-20-2004 11:43:53 AM
quote:
From the book of Ares, chapter 3, verse 16:
Speed up to merge. You might want to stay in the lane closest to your exit (right) just so that you don't panic when you have to get over to get off. You really just have to pay more attention when you're going on and off the highway....

Bad Idea, Specially on long trips, that rightlan is were you have people constently slowing down and merging, very active lane. Sounds odd, but stick to the middle, as the left lane is the fast/passing lane, and if you park your ass in it, depending on the road you can get ticketed. (Rt 18 in Jersey is like that, you have to keep to the right, the left is for passing only.)

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-20-2004 11:49:23 AM
If your not really sure, just stay in the right lane and go the speed limit. If people want to pass you, let them. Just don't get to stressed out because you'll get nervous and could make a mistake.

Oh, and NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER pull out infront of a transport truck. Those things are just asking for trouble if you get infront of something that can do some serious damage.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-20-2004 01:02:31 PM
quote:
Suddar painfully thought these words up:
What about low traffic, high speed driving situations? It's not rush hour either way, the roads are going to be fairly clear. Is that safer than it sounds?

Yep, lots safer.

Look at it this way. Thousands of idiots manage to do it every day, without conveniently removing themselves from this world in a chariot of flaming wreckage. You're not an idiot, so you'll do even better than they do.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-20-2004 01:12:07 PM
Good grief man! Grow a pair! Jebus, Suds you have male hormones in there! USE THE SCHWARTZ!
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 04-20-2004 01:14:11 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael camp:
Good grief man! Grow a pair! Jebus, Suds you have male hormones in there! USE THE SCHWARTZ!

Don't forget. When in doubt, accelerate.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-20-2004 01:15:11 PM
Prepare for Ludicrous Speed!
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-20-2004 01:16:58 PM
They've gone plaid!
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-20-2004 01:19:50 PM
quick...someone photoshop Dark Helmet's helmet onto a picture of Suddar!

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-20-2004 02:35:56 PM
And remember, there are only three permissible speeds to drive on the freeway: go, go like hell, and "What the fuck was that that just blew past us?".
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Razor
posted 04-20-2004 04:36:04 PM
quote:
Callalron said this about your mom:
And remember, there are only three permissible speeds to drive on the freeway: go, go like hell, and "What the fuck was that that just blew past us?".

I see someone's been on the I-15 one too many times.

San Diego I-15, on time it's open for easy driving is 1:30am to 4 am weekdays, and 12:00am to 7 am weekends otherwise it's near parking lot status. I think I can get Gee to confirm this.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 04-20-2004 04:40:51 PM
Just pay attention while you're merging. Other than that, highway driving is the easiest part out there. No lights, everyone is pretty much going one direction (hopefully o_o), and the speed is constant. You'll do fine. ^^
Alaan
posted 04-20-2004 04:54:08 PM
Don't forget about the gaping blind spot at the back left of your car. Most of the near misses for accidents I've seen involve lane changing into someone they don't see.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-20-2004 06:15:56 PM
Number one tip for getting on the highway. Get up to highway speed as quick as possible. Look for an opening. When your about to get on; check your mirror, look over your sholder, check your mirror again. Can never be too careful when getting on.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 04-20-2004 06:33:11 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Razor!

San Diego I-15, on time it's open for easy driving is 1:30am to 4 am weekdays, and 12:00am to 7 am weekends otherwise it's near parking lot status. I think I can get Gee to confirm this.

The 8 is worse. That freeway makes me want to jam rusty nails under my fingernails if I'm on it between the hours of about 2:00pm-8:00pm.

Plus, it's just a flat-out shitty road.

Broadzilla
Pancake
posted 04-20-2004 06:40:22 PM
Driving on the freeway is so much better than city streets. I love it. You don't have to worry as much about spacing out. You'll be fine. If you crash and die, then... I'm sorry.
"I like lesbians with a giddy delight. If I had my own pair, I'd jack off every night."
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me."
"There are easier things in life then finding a good guy like nailing Jell-0 to a tree."

[T E C H N O D R O M E] // [E R I N E Y ' S M I N D]

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 04-20-2004 09:49:23 PM
quote:
Callalron's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
"What the fuck was that that just blew past us?".

I have a few friends that drive like that... OMG, I rode home with a friend when she was really super pissed off one night, and she did 85 the entire way til we got off the highway. It's a good thing her car doesn't go any faster than that. X_x It's pretty freaky~

Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 04-21-2004 09:44:46 AM
Are you driving today? If so where?

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 04-21-2004 12:58:20 PM
quote:
Liam's account was hax0red to write:
Flip the car.

hehe, Grind the center divider! Do a 900!

Suddar
posted 04-21-2004 01:00:26 PM
quote:
Holden had this to say about pies:
Are you driving today? If so where?

I'll be driving through downtown Lewiston today, and um Lisbon I think or something. I don't even know.

Bring it on buckwheat

Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 04-21-2004 03:47:06 PM
quote:
Suddar attempted to be funny by writing:
I'll be driving through downtown Lewiston today, and um Lisbon I think or something. I don't even know.

Bring it on buckwheat

I drove around Lewiston around 1, I didn't see you :/

Did you car say student driver on it?

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-21-2004 07:20:27 PM
quote:
Holden spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I drove around Lewiston around 1, I didn't see you :/

Did you car say student driver on it?

oooo burn

Nina
posted 04-21-2004 07:28:00 PM
Driving on the freeway is a lot, lot easier than driving in town, really.

Though I live in Montreal, Land of Rude and Dangerous Drivers, that might be a mitigating factor in favor of the freeway.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-21-2004 07:32:43 PM
quote:
Razor had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Depends on which way you're going. Southbound even during evening rush hour is alright, but god forbid you try and go that way in the morning.

The opposite is true going Northbound. Good in the morning, piss poor at night.

Now, for my midnight speeding, i really prefer the northbound CA-163 at around 1:30am on a sunday night. It's straight, vacant, flat, and good road quality. Makes hitting 110-120 [lie]safe[/lie] and easy! When i say, "hey, i'm at Gork's house. I'll be in Mira Mesa in about 8 minutes." I'm not joking.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-21-2004 at 07:33 PM.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-21-2004 07:33:40 PM
quote:
This one time, at Nina camp:
Driving on the freeway is a lot, lot easier than driving in town, really.

Though I live in Montreal, Land of Rude and Dangerous Drivers, that might be a mitigating factor in favor of the freeway.

Montreal has WEIRD placement for their stop lights. Its on the side of the road, not hanging over the road. I just found it really odd when dirving through there.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: