EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Microsoft buys Bioware?
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-19-2004 12:18:56 PM
Linkage

This had better not of happened...if all that RPGing goodness from Bioware is exclusive for the Xbox for a long time...it screws us comp users.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"

can you please fix my title
posted 04-19-2004 12:24:42 PM
quote:
Katrinity enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Linkage

This had better not of happened...if all that RPGing goodness from Bioware is exclusive for the Xbox for a long time...it screws us comp users.

I personly have felt that the PC user has been on a long slow screw for some time. its simply easier cheaper and far more profitable to make console games.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-19-2004 12:28:14 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I personly have felt that the PC user has been on a long slow screw for some time. its simply easier cheaper and far more profitable to make console games.

I have nothing against console systems in anyway, but I hate Microsoft's practice (and other systems at times) of making everything on their system exclusive for the Xbox even when they are a computer software company as well...bastards.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-19-2004 12:33:32 PM
quote:
Katrinity's account was hax0red to write:
I have nothing against console systems in anyway, but I hate Microsoft's practice (and other systems at times) of making everything on their system exclusive for the Xbox even when they are a computer software company as well...bastards.

Microsoft has a nasty habit of buying out companies in general to bury thier competition when it comes to the X-Box. They have bought up a lot of support, it's rather annoying, cause its a legal, but underhanded way, to do buisness.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 04-19-2004 12:34:32 PM
Meh.

The BG A games wouldnt have been great on PC, as long as bioware still makes great computer RPGs its fine.

I just dont like how some console fanatics tink the online play they are just now getting is special compared to the last 9 years Ive been able to use the internet to play games(command and conquer was my first online game expierence )

edit: Microsoft is going to make KOTOR2 X-Box exclusive, they'd lose sales. The X-Box exclusive thing is pure speculation, no facts.

Elvish Crack Piper fucked around with this message on 04-19-2004 at 12:35 PM.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)

can you please fix my title
posted 04-19-2004 12:36:13 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Faelynn LeAndris said:
Microsoft has a nasty habit of buying out companies in general to bury thier competition when it comes to the X-Box. They have bought up a lot of support, it's rather annoying, cause its a legal, but underhanded way, to do buisness.

hey dont fault Micro$oft. The Resident evil series was made exclusive to Nentendo long time ago. (or whatever console it was)

Nintendo is where it is today becuse of its licencing practices that drove the industry leader of the time almost out of bussness. (atari)

One wonders what the hell happened to the Comadore (storage issues)

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 04-19-2004 12:39:14 PM
We dont want the PC dragged into the little console war, thats the only beef any of us have with it.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-19-2004 12:44:32 PM
quote:
Somthor's fortune cookie read:
hey dont fault Micro$oft. The Resident evil series was made exclusive to Nentendo long time ago. (or whatever console it was)

Nintendo is where it is today becuse of its licencing practices that drove the industry leader of the time almost out of bussness. (atari)

One wonders what the hell happened to the Comadore (storage issues)

Uh... No.

For one the Resident Evil series was a series of Remakes from earlier systems, only the remakes were Exclusive, and even then only CERTAIN titles. In fact, the PS2 right now has a Resident Evil title on the shelves.

Nintendo never boought out support from underneath another company, and as to its exclusive titles most of those are INHOUSE titles made by NOA anyway, which every system has. That's where Second Party developers come in. Microsoft has been notorious for making purchase deals to secure exclusive developement, and has bought out companies that were concidered pinacle in order to secure X-Box developement, aka Rare (Although I laugh at that one cause Rare hasn't produced shit worth anything for years, and has yet to produce an even SEMI-Decent X-Box title. So whene MS bought them for upwards of 300 Million, NOA just basically laughed and said Okay, heh. They were about to drop Rare anyway.)

Uh, Atari failed because it made a shit system. Jaguar was crap, they were just smart and realized they were better off as a developer and not a console competitor. To my knowledge they never had support to begin with for anyone to 'buy' anyone out from underneath them.

Microsoft uses the same practices outside of console companies too, such as buying up competing companies in order to gain exclusivity to Windows. In fact I believe there is a MS/AOL deal going on or speculated on currently. Which would pretty much do away with MS's Netscape competition (Was there ever really any to begin with. ) will basically kill MSN's competition by taking over AOL. Not to mention the messenger market, etc.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 04-19-2004 12:49:04 PM
This causes me much sadness.

I really hope they continue to make great games even under the watchful eye of Microsoft.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 04-19-2004 01:01:23 PM
Bioware? More like $ell-out-oware

(I kid I kid)

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 04-19-2004 03:25:51 PM
It's bloody stupid to only release games on the X-Box anyway considering the comparative ease of porting it to the PC. You just lose sales for no reason. Let's hope they realise that.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 04-19-2004 03:45:55 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Niklas!
It's bloody stupid to only release games on the X-Box anyway considering the comparative ease of porting it to the PC. You just lose sales for no reason. Let's hope they realise that.

I dunno, the Halo thing seemed like a smart move.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Niklas
posted 04-19-2004 03:49:05 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop's account was hax0red to write:
I dunno, the Halo thing seemed like a smart move.

Just an example of a game which worked well on console but not on PC. In general it still seems much more effective to release for both platforms.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-19-2004 03:50:42 PM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Duck Tales:
Just an example of a game which worked well on console but not on PC. In general it still seems much more effective to release for both platforms.

Like they did with Halo? Or KOTOR? Or Splinter Cell?

Niklas
posted 04-19-2004 03:53:36 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about John Romero:
Like they did with Halo? Or KOTOR? Or Splinter Cell?

Wait, what? I'm saying it's a good idea and they should carry on. I'm nto arguing against this, duders

I just want the trend to carry on. I admit you see many less 'exclusive for X-Box' stickers on major games these days, which is a good thing.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 04-19-2004 03:55:59 PM
This would make me sad.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-19-2004 04:05:00 PM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about dark elf butts:
Wait, what? I'm saying it's a good idea and they should carry on. I'm nto arguing against this, duders

I just want the trend to carry on. I admit you see many less 'exclusive for X-Box' stickers on major games these days, which is a good thing.

I was just making the point that most of the "exclusive" games are still released for other systems, just after XBox.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 04-19-2004 04:54:45 PM
Simply put:

1. Microsoft notices that halo and kotor sold very well on pc.

2. ??

3. Microsoft sells Halo 2 for pc and x-box at the same time.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-19-2004 05:08:14 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Y.O.T.C!
Simply put:

1. Microsoft notices that halo and kotor sold very well on pc.

2. ??

3. Microsoft sells Halo 2 for pc and x-box at the same time.

Or....

1. Microsoft releases Halo 2 for Xbox "exclusively"

2. Microsoft's struggling console now seems much more attractive, particularly if they do some sort of bundle deal.

3. People buy XBox for Halo 2 and other exclusives.

4. Some time later, Microsoft releases Halo 2 for PC with a few added features/extras, getting even more sales.

5. ???

6. Profit

Keep in mind, Microsoft doesn't make PCs, so they're going to be biased to XBox over PC in order to stimulate console sales.

Hugin
Pancake
posted 04-19-2004 05:19:50 PM
The next Bioware RPG is going to be an X-Box exclusive already and who knows what's going to happen with the already mentioned PC project if Microsoft take them over. Halo was supposed a PC release until MS swooped in.

[and yes this is another piece of PC Bioware fanboi angst]

Hugin fucked around with this message on 04-19-2004 at 05:46 PM.

"The individual must not merely wait and criticize, he must defend the cause the best he can.
The fate of the world will be such as the world deserves." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Nirrudn
Pancake
posted 04-20-2004 07:40:31 PM
There are a good number of threads popping up on the NWN forums about this.

Apparently it's just a recurring rumor that appears every year before E3. Bioware employees don't directly deny it, but say things to the effect of "same old song and dance, every year."

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-21-2004 12:02:20 AM
MICRO$UCK ROFLOL
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: