EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: NWN!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-12-2004 08:44:30 PM
Drysart's thread has caused me to desire to play NWN, finally. Is it worth it? I heard nothing but bad things when it was released, but many games that are hyped up as big as NWN was are like that. People bemoan them at release, but a few years down the line when they forget about all the pre-release hype that surrounded it they find it's a pretty cool game.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-12-2004 08:58:25 PM
It really depends.

Overall, the stock story (ie: The Singleplayer Storyline) is pretty generic, it's not bad, it's just average. It is entertaining, and it will keep you playing, but aside from being able to sexxor the whores and trying to get in to Aribeth's pants, it's not all that memorable. SoU SP story was an afterthought, and it shows, SoU was primarily an update to the engine and tools (And a SERIOUSLY good one), however Hordes of the Underdark's story and SP game just kicks all kinds of ass, hands down.

The game itself is quite cool, very DnDish and entertaining, it actually works VERY well for a CRPG, and they did a good job adapting.

You can find all kinds of online communities/worlds to join and play on, some downright kick ass and are fun as hell, others are mediocre to very bad. It just depends on the person who built the world and the community that maintains it.

If you are into creating, and developing, you CANNOT beat NWN's tool set and engine, it is by far the best ease of use, and wicked tool there is. Noteably, if you are not a creator and just a player, it is these player made mods that will give you the greatest amount of fun. Since it was, afterall, the primary goal behind NWN anyway. It was the "We will give you the tools, what you do with them will decide everything, yadda yadda".

Overall, it is well worth owning, and as cheap as NWN:Gold Edition (Which includes SoU), and Hordes of the Underdark expansion are. It's not that bad a deal. If nothing else it's cheap, and will entertain you for a while, so you don't loose much.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 09:02:48 PM
Are the player made worlds constant? Like a mini MMORPG? Or is it just running campaigns at certain times?
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:06:58 PM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Are the player made worlds constant? Like a mini MMORPG? Or is it just running campaigns at certain times?

There are quite a few constant worlds, like MMORPGs, most will be Adventure Mods. The Constant Worlds are cool as shit, but most of your playtime will be Adventure Mods if you want to play a bunch of different good games, which are basically Player Made games like the SP Games. There are also shit loads of really good versions of those as well.

If constant worlds are your thing though, they exist, there are a few really amazing ones, and you can just play on them forever if you like as well.

I figure if it goes up on EC, it will be a persistant world as well.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 04-12-2004 at 09:08 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 04-12-2004 09:07:23 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Faelynn LeAndris said this:
blah

Borrow it from a friend first, if you can. NWN just isn't for some people =\

Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 09:08:33 PM
I am not like you people! My friends don't play video games. I'm not a dork in real life, I just pretend I'm one on an internet message board.

I am bizzaro-Somthor.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:09:38 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Borrow it from a friend first, if you can. NWN just isn't for some people =\

This is true, but generally if you like Balur's Gate, Planescape:Torment, or similiar games, you will like NWN as well.

It's not, however, the stock games (Besides Hordes of the Underdark which just kicks ass) that makes it, its the other worlds and adventure mods that do.

It is NOT however a fast paced, Diablo-esque type CRPG, it is very much a Baldur's Gate style RPG with 3ed rules instead of 2ed rules. (Which for a non-DnD player shouldn't really matter) The only major difference in play styles between Baldur's Gate and NWN style play is, No teammate management. You at most, will only have one other party memeber (If you even choose to have them) during the whole game. This is a plus and a negative for some people. Of course online play differs, as it is more party oriented because real people will play your party memebers if you choose to do so.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 04-12-2004 at 09:12 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 04-12-2004 09:20:33 PM
Shameless plug below.

I play on a constant/ persistant world -loosely- based on the WoT books, it's fun and has plenty of factions. some of the stuff gets kinda stupid sometimes though.

It's the only server that is able to hold my interest for more than a few minutes.

Its under the RP servers as The Wheel of Time and it's running The Third Age module.

Just for those of you who have read the books and enjoyed them, but as I said, it's loosely based on the books and alot of stuff is different due to being a persistant world and other factors.

Anklebiter fucked around with this message on 04-12-2004 at 09:21 PM.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:21:21 PM
Oh and Snoots, just a comment. I don't know your system setup, but it is pretty hardware intenseive, on my 800mhz Machine, GeFroce2, and 512 Ram it would slowdown somewhat when there were like like 15 or enemies and effects going off. (Of course I was a machoist and ran it with all settings on high) so you would have to lower some settings to get a perfectly smooth framerate on slower machines.

It's not hindered at all on this machine, but it's newer, so i just figured I'd warn you. It will run, and run okay, on older/slower machines with all the options on. But it won't run optimally unless you have a faster machine, like 1Ghz or better, and a decent video card.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-12-2004 09:25:31 PM
quote:
Anklebiter's account was hax0red to write:
Shameless plug below.

I play on a constant/ persistant world -loosely- based on the WoT books, it's fun and has plenty of factions. some of the stuff gets kinda stupid sometimes though.

It's the only server that is able to hold my interest for more than a few minutes.

Its under the RP servers as The Wheel of Time and it's running The Third Age module.

Just for those of you who have read the books and enjoyed them, but as I said, it's loosely based on the books and alot of stuff is different due to being a persistant world and other factors.

Ohh! More info please! Now! ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 09:26:38 PM
Fae lied to me.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:30:40 PM
quote:
Snoota Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Fae lied to me.

What?

My LAUNCHCast Station
Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 09:32:20 PM
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 04-12-2004 09:37:04 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Cuba:
This is true, but generally if you like Balur's Gate, Planescape:Torment, or similiar games, you will like NWN as well.

NWN was a good game, but I could never get into the story and the blah-blah progression of your char. Strangely enough, however, the Baldur's Gate Saga is the best series ever made in my opinion... so that may or may not be an indicating factor. (the factor being whether or not you like BG and PS:T)

There are some EXCEPTIONAL mods out there that are in itself worth buying NWN. Still, the spell effects made me want to cry (I got this right after beating Throne of Bhaal) and a lot of, what I felt as lack of attention to detail by the devs. I dunno it just felt like... we were buying the tools, not the game. *shrugs*

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:40:38 PM
quote:
Snoota got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
http://forums.evercrest.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=055457&p= 3#la stpost

It was just $12.99 at Wal-Mart here, in fact there were still copies on the shelf when I was looking earlier today when I was shopping.

I'm pretty sure HotU was only $19.99 as well there, but on that one I could be mistaken since I was going from memory.

I'm sorry, it may just be a local thing. No searches come up with lower prices either?

My LAUNCHCast Station
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-12-2004 09:41:40 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Noxhil said:
NWN was a good game, but I could never get into the story and the blah-blah progression of your char. Strangely enough, however, the Baldur's Gate Saga is the best series ever made in my opinion... so that may or may not be an indicating factor. (the factor being whether or not you like BG and PS:T)

There are some EXCEPTIONAL mods out there that are in itself worth buying NWN. Still, the spell effects made me want to cry (I got this right after beating Throne of Bhaal) and a lot of, what I felt as lack of attention to detail by the devs. I dunno it just felt like... we were buying the tools, not the game. *shrugs*

I was mostly comparing styles. As in NWN plays like Baldur's Gate, although the story is not as GOOD as Baldur's Gate. Not stock anyway, there are some player mods though that are just downright awesome.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 09:43:24 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Faelynn LeAndris:
It was just $12.99 at Wal-Mart here, in fact there were still copies on the shelf when I was looking earlier today when I was shopping.

I'm pretty sure HotU was only $19.99 as well there, but on that one I could be mistaken since I was going from memory.

I'm sorry, it may just be a local thing. No searches come up with lower prices either?

I'll check around the Walmarts around here. And no, it's even 29.99/39.99 coming directly from Bioware, so it's not a retailer mark up.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 04-12-2004 09:55:49 PM
Some character building advice: Spend some time playing the different characters, getting a feel for what you want in a character, be it hack-n-slash, stealth, magic, healing, or any combination of the four. Futz around with multiclassing (taking more than one class while keeping the abilities of both to their respective levels- Yes, you can do that). A good explanation of multiclassing would be extremely long, and after a few years of D&Ding, I'm still not completely familiar with the concept. So, experiment, see what you want in a character.

Then, find a way to munchkin*, min-max**, and metagame*** all to hell to get your character the absolute most powerful they can become, and kill everyone, thus solidifying your status as a god. Then, go to another server and repeat the process.

*Using gray-area tactics, not quite cheating but very, uh, low, in order to increase your power.
**Maximizing your character's strengths while at the same time minimizing its weaknesses.
***Using out-of-game and out-of-character knowledge to increase your character's power.

[EDIT- Fuck. Now I've forgotten how to count. Everyone, spread the word! 4 is now equal to 2!]

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 04-12-2004 at 10:00 PM.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Talonus
Loner
posted 04-12-2004 10:08:05 PM
Its worth buying just for the player created mods. Series like "Penultima", "Shadowlords", "Dreamcatcher", and "A Hunt Through the Dark" are as well done as, if not better than, many professionally done RPGs out there. If you do decide to buy it, browse Neverwinter Vault for everything you could want to download for the game.
Steven Steve
posted 04-12-2004 10:26:24 PM
I liked Baldur's Gate 2 a lot more, I didn't really like NWN.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Nirrudn
Pancake
posted 04-12-2004 10:36:27 PM
quote:
You at most, will only have one other party memeber (If you even choose to have them) during the whole game.

A little misleading there. You can have potentially a familiar, a summoned critter, an animal companion, and however many henchmen the module lets you purchase (HotU gave builders the capability to allow multiple henchmen).

If you're a D&D purist, NWN will not be what you expect it to be. That's why everyone griped when it was released. Just consider it primarily based on 3rd Edition with some tweaks by Bioware. There's no jumping, swimming, and horses, most notably. (Horses are in the works by players actually, and are partially done) They've even taken "creative license" by adding in a Parry skill (which kicks ass for rogues by the way), Knockdown feats, drastically changing Weapon Finesse, stuff like that.

On the vault (See Talonus's post) you can even find some classic PnP adventures brought back to life in NWN. It also has a ton of user-created content, fixes for some of Bioware's goofs (most notably in spells), or just adding things people thought should have been included (there's a package out there with like 20 prestige classes in it, including Duelist, Lich, Demi-Lich, etc).

Snoota
posted 04-12-2004 10:57:44 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Nirrudn wrote:
If you're a D&D purist, NWN will not be what you expect it to be.

Everything I know about D&D was learned in 1982.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: