EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: To the Nice Guy
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 02:16:30 AM
I feel so much better after reading this. Feel a little more noticed.
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-13-2004 02:26:23 AM
It makes me wish I had a friend like that. ;_;

Or a boyfriend like that C.c

Suddar
posted 03-13-2004 02:27:54 AM
Having done some of these things, I now feel like one hell of a straight balling grandma.

Or, a nice guy. But whatever.

Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 03-13-2004 02:47:56 AM
That starts off as if he's such a great guy then all of a sudden he gets into some sort of rant where he basically says he's only nice to get inside some girl's pants and if he fails to, she's obviously a snobby bitch.
"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-13-2004 02:52:10 AM
Bahahahaha. This thing is pathetic. You shouldn't expect anything if you don't go for the kill.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-13-2004 03:07:22 AM
Be sure to read this while I'm bangin' the ladies you wish you were, nice guys!

HAR HAR HAR!

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-13-2004 05:22:25 AM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Suddar scored a straight 1 with:
Having done some of these things, I now feel like one hell of a straight balling grandma.

Or, a nice guy. But whatever.

Suddar took the words out of my mouth and stepped all over them.

quote:
Out of a possible 10, Gikk scored a straight 1 with:
It makes me wish I had a friend like that. ;_;

Hmph.
Nirrudn
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 07:37:07 AM
Didn't really make me feel any better heh...
LeMiere
posted 03-13-2004 09:04:50 AM
http://www.heartless-bitches.com
The perfect take on the nice guy..

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: LeMiere ]

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 03-13-2004 10:30:12 AM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Bahahahaha. This thing is pathetic. You shouldn't expect anything if you don't go for the kill.

I think Waisz wins here.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 03-13-2004 10:56:57 AM
Heck, even I know not to be a spineless guy.

Sometimes, though, I tend to fall into the 'nice guy' trap, though.

I used to like that garbage until the truth.

It's all about marketing.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 03-13-2004 11:00:32 AM
I'm nice. But not spineless. I don't put up with being treated like a doormat. Some of these "nice guys" described seem to do just that.
Steven Steve
posted 03-13-2004 11:19:08 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz wrote:

Exactly. On top of that, most "nice guys" are ugly pizza faces anyway, and who really wants to have sex with one of those?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 11:41:05 AM
The main failing of the stereotypical 'nice guy' is that he assumes a premise (Be nice to women and they'll fall in love with you) which might sound logical enough in the beginning, but refuses to move away from it even when it's error ist demonstrated. If you see that, for example, an alternating pattern of abuse and borderline decency is more effective than your approach you adapt the successful one instead of continuing to fail in a way that has already failed you miserably half a dozen times.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 03-13-2004 01:46:27 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mod said:
The main failing of the stereotypical 'nice guy' is that he assumes a premise (Be nice to women and they'll fall in love with you) which might sound logical enough in the beginning, but refuses to move away from it even when it's error ist demonstrated. If you see that, for example, an alternating pattern of abuse and borderline decency is more effective than your approach you adapt the successful one instead of continuing to fail in a way that has already failed you miserably half a dozen times.

And it seems to me the underlying reason the stereotypical nice guy's premise doesn't work is that the stereotypical nice guy and his premise are just really boring to 90% of girls.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 03-13-2004 02:12:15 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about John Romero:
I'm nice. But not spineless. I don't put up with being treated like a doormat. Some of these "nice guys" described seem to do just that.

Pretty much, of course I fall into the stereotypical nice guy role. The bad part is, it is partially accurate, and partially a fallacy.

For instance, in my case, it is nearly impossible for me to act against my character, which is the "Good guy" role. Hell I can't even do it in Video Games, just ask Khy how hard he has tried to get me to go Imperial in SWG. (Yes that sounds cheesy, but it's just me. Playing Nazi's in ET bugs me, etc etc. ) I cannot act against myself, regardless of the circumstances. It IS embittering sometimes, especially during the highschool years, but not really something that I can blame the tendancies of others on. (Even though you would anyway)

I was the universal best friend, I was the shoulder for everyone. (And in some ways I still am, even in adulthood.) But thats my character and who I am.

What I think the niceguys tend to forget is, if they are currently in that role, then thier constant shutdowns are usually with women who are typically shallow. And a rule of thumb (Although it does not apply universally, it's just something I learned to avoid even though its not true for all women of the description.) The prettier they are, the more of a bitch they are. Setting yourself up to be the shoulder of a girl, proven to be universally shallow in her choices of the male gender, is never going to net you what you are looking for.

Also, eventually they do grow out of the "I'm wanting to be with the dangerous boys" mindset (Although some never do). Even before that, you can find that diamond in the rough that fits you just fine. And as a counter point, if you do find that girl just for you after being the nice guy to anothe for so long, you can often notice that girl you fawned over for so long but would never date you all of the sudden has jealous tendancies because her "Best friend" is longer at her disposal. It just may help her wake up just a bit sooner that she normally would have.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 03-13-2004 02:13:36 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mod:

For some people, like myself, it is nearly impossible to go against your own character. Like what I said above. Nice guys can't usually find it easy or acceptable to be an asshole. So it's not just working under a premise for all of them, it's a character trait for most.

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 03-13-2004 02:26:51 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Faelynn LeAndris!
For some people, like myself, it is nearly impossible to go against your own character. Like what I said above. Nice guys can't usually find it easy or acceptable to be an asshole. So it's not just working under a premise for all of them, it's a character trait for most.

I completely agree. I find it very hard to go against my natural instincts of 'doing the right thing', it's hard to be an asshole.....it's just not me.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 02:52:48 PM
Heh, I'm not some ice-cold bastion of flexible morals either, rather quite the opposite, but I don't consider it being more of an asshole than hitting a masochist in this case, if she wanted you to be friendly she wouldn't have turned you down when you were, if she didn't enjoy you being an asshole she wouldn't fall for it.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 03-13-2004 03:31:52 PM
quote:
Mod wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Heh, I'm not some ice-cold bastion of flexible morals either, rather quite the opposite, but I don't consider it being more of an asshole than hitting a masochist in this case, if she wanted you to be friendly she wouldn't have turned you down when you were, if she didn't enjoy you being an asshole she wouldn't fall for it.

I never said she wouldn't prefer an asshole if the nice thing wasn't working, I was pointing out that you said all nice guys work under the premise of benice be loved and are unwilling to adapt to being that asshole she would prefer. For some, myself included, going againts my character and being that asshole would drive me insane.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 03:46:43 PM
quote:
From the book of Faelynn LeAndris, chapter 3, verse 16:
I never said she wouldn't prefer an asshole if the nice thing wasn't working, I was pointing out that you said all nice guys work under the premise of benice be loved and are unwilling to adapt to being that asshole she would prefer. For some, myself included, going againts my character and being that asshole would drive me insane.

My point was that if you were giving her what she wanted you wouldn't really be an asshole for it.

Mightion Defensor
posted 03-13-2004 04:07:55 PM
Grrr... nice guy syndrome... don't get me started...

* mumbles under his breath *

Did you know, from the outside, helplessness and patience can appear to be the same thing? So can masochism. It can look like patience too if your sell it right.

Not knowing what the hell to do can help project the illusion too. Of course, it ain't really an illusion...

Anyway, time to bang my head on something.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 03-13-2004 04:26:33 PM
quote:
Mod stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
My point was that if you were giving her what she wanted you wouldn't really be an asshole for it.

Treating anyone badly, even if thats what they want, goes against character. And it still makes you an asshole, even if it is just towards that single individual, you are treating someone badly, even if its what they think they want. If anyone else were to witness, or see you, they'd call you an asshole.

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-13-2004 04:30:43 PM
"Been there, done that, have the emotional scars."

Did that shit for over 3 years before I got involved with my ex-fiancee... Now I wish I had never done anything.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 04:44:10 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Captain Planet:
Treating anyone badly, even if thats what they want, goes against character. And it still makes you an asshole, even if it is just towards that single individual, you are treating someone badly, even if its what they think they want. If anyone else were to witness, or see you, they'd call you an asshole.

I disagree. If I you beat the living tar out of someone with their consent and they enjoy it it's not immoral imo, even if someone who saw you doing it would likely call the police (unless they're underage, drunk, insane or in some other way not fit to make the decision of course).

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 03-13-2004 05:38:47 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mod!
I disagree. If I you beat the living tar out of someone with their consent and they enjoy it it's not immoral imo, even if someone who saw you doing it would likely call the police (unless they're underage, drunk, insane or in some other way not fit to make the decision of course).

The point is, in me for instance, I'd never get to the point of beating the shit out of somoene. Whether they liked it or not, it's outside character, and something I would view as wrong and therefore not do it. Why would you ever beat the tar out of someone, with consent or otherwise?...

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 06:10:04 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Faelynn LeAndris stammered:
The point is, in me for instance, I'd never get to the point of beating the shit out of somoene. Whether they liked it or not, it's outside character, and something I would view as wrong and therefore not do it. Why would you ever beat the tar out of someone, with consent or otherwise?...

Because they wanted you to and enjoy being beaten? It was just a made-up example to demonstrate the concept.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-13-2004 06:46:25 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about pies:
Because they wanted you to and enjoy being beaten? It was just a made-up example to demonstrate the concept.

Don't be foolish. Fae knows what someone wants better than they do.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 06:49:42 PM
The difference between being a "nice guy" and being a "guy who can get a girlfriend" is that a "nice guy" doesn't know when he should be assertive.

Women want a man who will take care of them, but also one they know can be an asshole when he has to be... after all, if the guy is totally spineless, who can she count on to protect the children?

nem-x
posted 03-13-2004 06:51:06 PM
im posting to see the new post image
Snugglits
posted 03-13-2004 06:51:16 PM
Post to see new reply image

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz ]

Suddar
posted 03-13-2004 06:53:46 PM
New image?!
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2004 06:54:49 PM
Generally, girls neither want nor really deserve nice guys.

Particularly girls from their teens to late 20's. They crave emotional abuse, not prince charming behavior.

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Maradon! ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-13-2004 06:56:09 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz said this:
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-13-2004 07:05:26 PM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz had this to say about John Romero:
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 07:08:20 PM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz said this about your mom:
Gadani
U
posted 03-13-2004 07:09:17 PM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz impressed everyone with:
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-13-2004 07:13:45 PM
Fae, if you have to be an asshole to get that chick anyway, she's not accepting you for yourself, and is thus probably someone you wouldn't want to spend time with.

Oh, what's the reply image..?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-13-2004 07:18:14 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Fae, if you have to be an asshole to get that chick anyway, she's not accepting you for yourself, and is thus probably someone you wouldn't want to spend time with.

What's yo sister doin' tonight?

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 03-13-2004 08:33:48 PM
New image = LoL

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Sentow, Maybe ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: