EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: is this for real?
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-04-2004 03:26:33 PM
I got an email today from noreply@yahoo.com, this is what it said..

Dear user of Yahoo.com,

Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail
content)
outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
follow the instructions.

Advanced details can be found in attached file.

Kind regards,
The Yahoo.com team http://www.yahoo.com

Attached was a file. I don't open files by people I don't know, and this looks like a scam to me. Do any of you know? I run Adaware and Zonealarm all the times, so I don't know how this could be.

Suddar
posted 03-04-2004 03:27:37 PM
Attached file thing makes it sound like bull.

I wouldn't open it.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 03-04-2004 03:28:34 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Nae:

Dear user of Yahoo.com,

content)
follow the instructions.

Kind regards,

Attached was a file. I don't open files by people I don't know, and this looks like a scam to me. Do any of you know? I run Adaware and Zonealarm all the times, so I don't know how this could be.

This is most likely a scam. A number of email servers out there have recently sent out very similar messages.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-04-2004 03:30:44 PM
Its a scam. They all mention advanced details in an attached file, which is a virus.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-04-2004 03:31:48 PM
Virus.

I'm seeing it sent to my users.

Someone has your email address in their address book and got infected. It's forging the emails to look like it comes from the administration of whatever domain it's sending the address to (yahoo.com, aol.com, etc).

The virus is contained in a password protected zip file. Since the AV scanner software doesn't have the password, it can't open it and actually scan it so as far as it's concerned, it's not a virus. It gets through, you open the zip with the supplied password and run the file... BAMMO, you're infected.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-04-2004 03:34:05 PM
Okay.. should I report it to Yahoo then? I have never done that before, I usually just delete scams and spam.
Suddar
posted 03-04-2004 03:36:37 PM
I'm pretty sure this is some worm that's going around. Chances are Yahoo already knows about it.
Legonaire
Pancake
posted 03-04-2004 03:37:05 PM
Took this quote from Allah's front page of his Evercrest Website.

quote:
There's a particularly nasty virus out there right now that checks your e-mail domain and tailors the virus e-mail to look like it is coming from there and asks you to open an attachment to configure your e-mail. Thus, if you have an @allakhazam.com address, it will look like it comes from us. It doesn't! Do not open that attachment! (Or for that matter any attachment - We do not send out e-mails with attachments in them). And please get a virus program and keep it up to date. I wish I could track down the people who write these things and stake them naked on an anthill with honey smeared all over them.
If animals weren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat ??
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 03-04-2004 03:37:16 PM
quote:
Nae wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Okay.. should I report it to Yahoo then?

Yes.

Whoever is sending this out claims to be representing Yahoo.com

My knowledge of law isn't that of our resident lawyer (Gydyon, ahoy!) but it strikes me that the company might have grounds for a lawsuit based on misuse of a registered company name (particularly if it *IS* a virus in that thing).

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-04-2004 03:40:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks, I will report it to them as impersonation. I thought it was kind of strange that it said noreply@yahoo.com, because I have recieved emails from that before. It was Yahoo then though.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 03-04-2004 03:49:34 PM
quote:
Legonaire's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Took this quote from Allah's front page of his Evercrest Website.

Someone else has an Evercrest webiste? SUE SUE SUE

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 03-04-2004 03:57:54 PM
quote:
Nae wrote this stupid crap:

Dear user of Yahoo.com,

content)
follow the instructions.

Kind regards,

Scam, I got one from noreply@sjsu.edu yesterday. The file is an archive with the .doc extension but when it opens it's an exe. THEN later I got one from sysop@sjsu.edu

hate this crap

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: Kermitov ]

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-04-2004 04:05:31 PM
Never, ever open attachments that you did not expect, if someone you know sends you one always, always check back with them via icq, phone or mail as to weather it was really them that sent you the message. If someone claiming to administrate anything larger than a Gameboy sends you 'informations' as an attachment you can be 100% certain that it's a fake.

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: Mod ]

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 03-04-2004 04:42:54 PM
quote:
Abbikat said this about your mom:
Yes.

Whoever is sending this out claims to be representing Yahoo.com

My knowledge of law isn't that of our resident lawyer (Gydyon, ahoy!) but it strikes me that the company might have grounds for a lawsuit based on misuse of a registered company name (particularly if it *IS* a virus in that thing).

And who will Yahoo charge or somehow make it stop?

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-04-2004 04:56:59 PM
I got two of these emails today. Both specifying a "password" to open the file. Looks legit, but I don't open anything that I'm not expecting.

The second one had this text:

quote:
Dear user of [censored].org,

Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two days,
to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure our free auto-forwarding service.

For more information see the attached file.

In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 27824.

The Management,
The [censored].org team http://www.[censored].org

The inconsistent spaces and attached files were a "red-flag" for me.

I contribute nothing.

Edit: Make that three emails now.

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: Vernaltemptress ]

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: