EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Your opinions on this subject?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-27-2004 07:22:12 PM

For those who don't realise what that is.

Inferno, upon death, EVERY game, will drop as close to the side of the map as he can, and on his turn, move to the very edge. The reason he does this? Because this way, if someone misses EVEN SLIGHTLY over him, he takes no damage as the shot vanishes off the map harmlessly.

Personally, I think this is exploiting the game. It's difficult, and in some cases almost impossible, to hit someone hiding there.

But, let's hear what you all think!

Suddar
posted 02-27-2004 07:23:55 PM
I think, "Was this really worth making a thread over?"
Khyron
posted 02-27-2004 07:24:44 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about John Romero:
I think, "Was this really worth making a thread over?"

Because I'm bored, and that ruined an otherwise pretty fun game of Gunbound?

CBTao
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 07:24:49 PM
the precision with which I (eventually) shoot, is something I am very proud of

people like inferno just give me a way to show off...

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-27-2004 07:30:19 PM
Way to make shit up. At least tell the truth. I spawned there once in our games. Once. There was also 20 wind left when I was to choose my spawn location, so as boomer, I like to be upwind from every opponent. You'll notice I try to spawn on one side of the opponents or the other almost every time.

Yes, I moved against the wall. Treat it like a cliff. Plays out normal. The only unfair thing is that I can't be pushed off the edge, which you couldn't do anyway.

Frankly, I'm sick of your constant name-calling (No, you're not hurting my feelings, it just gets irritating.), intentional TKing, shotgunning, and spawning directly beside an opponent. Add whining to the list, too.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-27-2004 07:31:12 PM
It's a game. And a free one at that.

Bitch not!

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 02-27-2004 07:31:19 PM
Is it any worse than dropping 3 pixels next to someone every single game for an easy kill?
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 02-27-2004 07:35:57 PM
Stop bitching and play the game.
hey
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-27-2004 07:37:24 PM
Yeah, really. He only did it that once duder. Settle down. If anyone's tactics need a look at, they're yours.
Khyron
posted 02-27-2004 07:46:57 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Way to make shit up. At least tell the truth. I spawned there once in our games. Once. There was also 20 wind left when I was to choose my spawn location, so as boomer, I like to be upwind from every opponent. You'll notice I try to spawn on one side of the opponents or the other almost every time.

You did the same thing in Sea of Hero, when Artt was in the Bigfoot. Same spot, same mobile, same situation. And the same thing happened : shots that might have hit (Even if they may not have done much damage) missed because you were next to the edge of the map.

quote:
Yes, I moved against the wall. Treat it like a cliff. Plays out normal. The only unfair thing is that I can't be pushed off the edge, which you couldn't do anyway.

No, but you ARE blocking half the hitbox on the mobile. Shots that may still have landed, would miss entirely. Not to mention many shots (Like the A.Sate laser, or Aduka's Thor Shot) could still hit even on misses, just due to the angles the shots land.

quote:
Frankly, I'm sick of your constant name-calling (No, you're not hurting my feelings, it just gets irritating.), intentional TKing, shotgunning, and spawning directly beside an opponent. Add whining to the list, too.

I have NEVER intentionally TK'ed. Yes, I've made shots that hit teammates. It happens. If I could re-do them and hit the enemy, I would. It's not a matter of trying to TK, it's a matter of just not having the right angle and power. Then again, I suck at gunbound, and in most games, sometimes I'm a loser when it comes to accuracy. Sometimes when I play I can be accurate as hell. But that doesn't stop me from trying.

Shotgunning, in my opinion, is a valid tactic. I've died a hundred times from Shotgunning. I've killed plenty of times doing the same. It's not my only tactic : I try to fire out nicely angled shots too. Everybody, at some time, shotguns. It's not a cheap tactic. If you don't like it, try to change your angle so they can't.

You get to choose where to drop. Hey, guess what? You get to choose where you spawn in games like BF1942! Does that mean, if someone kills you near a respawn point, that if you respawn and kill them, that you were being cheap? I've died a hundred times the same way. I've killed plenty of times doing the same. It's not my only tactic : I try to fire out nicely angled shots too. I fire whatever shot I can that I think will hit the enemy. If I think that I'll have a better chance of hitting while shotgunning, then I'll shotgun, if I think I have a better chance of hitting by trying to lob the shot over, I'll do that.

And besides... who was it, a couple maps back, that dropped down 5 feet from me, and tried to kill me by lobbing short Boomer Shot 2's at me, before I bunged him? Oh, right... it was you.

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-27-2004 07:56:05 PM
All I know is that after the rampant whining about Inferno's drop, the game suddenly cleared out.

How interesting.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-27-2004 08:08:00 PM
Sea of heroes I spawned near the edge, I had forgotten that, but I didn't move into it. I simply spawned on the side of the bigfoot that allowed me to shoot him, and the further you are form a bigfoot the better. Boomer's advantage is range without loss of accuracy, where other bots lose that accuracy. But yes, I did spawn "near" the wall. However, I don't do this often, and the only person I play with regularily, Vorago, could vouch for that.

I'll also admit, and I hadn't really considered, that my mobile's hitbox itself gets smaller when I'm on the edge, not just the ground around me. Moving like that was just like moving to the edge of a cliff to me. It forces you to shoot in front of me, or risk missing. Really though, other than the hitbox, how is it any different than moving to the top of a hill against a grub or digging a hole in front of you against a nak?

And if what you did to Art(the other grub, whoever it was) wasn't intentional, I don't know what is. He shot you, on accident, for about 70. You turned from your current target and shot him with an easily avoidable shot for full damage with the grub + thor. Maybe it wasn't. It damn sure looked intentional.

The BG 1942 Analogy is crap. You can't choose any location on the map with the knowledge of everyone's current location. GB allows you to spawn anywhere you please, and you always always spawn right next to someone.

quote:
And besides... who was it, a couple maps back, that dropped down 5 feet from me, and tried to kill me by lobbing short Boomer Shot 2's at me, before I bunged him? Oh, right... it was you.

I was there already for about 6 turns. You spawned near me. Stop making stuff up. I think you were going to shoot at someone else anyway, but my last target was dead. Was I supposed to NOT shoot you? Really... And is mentioning the rare time you actually killed me as some huge deal supposed to be some sort of superiority thing? Stop being a baby and play the game.

I think it's pretty clear that you're not going to get along with me just because you don't want to, though. I never had a real problem with you before, and I still don't. I'm used to all the cheap little tricks and the anal strategies of the game. I deal with them. If things don't go my way, I adjust, or I log off and play again later.

[edit]typos[/edit]

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: Inferno-Spirit ]

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-27-2004 08:08:52 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Arttemis:
All I know is that after the rampant whining about Inferno's drop, the game suddenly cleared out.

How interesting.

I dropped? I was under the impression he kicked me. All I know is I went straight to the game join screen.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-27-2004 08:09:59 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I dropped? I was under the impression he kicked me. All I know is I went straight to the game join screen.

Everyone else left after that.

And quit being like Delphi, Khy.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-27-2004 08:15:02 PM
quote:
Batty Model 2000 was programmed to say:

FAG LAG JEW REPTILE!

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 08:16:58 PM
Positioning is part of the game, he found a way to use it to his advantage that is better than yours, quit complaining and find a way to beat it. Games, when played well, often stop revolving only around their most basic concept, good Quake players time spawns and powerups, good WC3 players sometimes use their heroes to attack early instead of creeping, good ET players shoot their teammates in quiet situations to xp farm and so on, perhaps good GB players like to drop on edges. Instead of complaining about it, try instructing your teammates to cover the map boundaries when he dies, shouldn't be too hard to kill him with the extra shot you get in.

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: Mod ]

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 08:26:16 PM
Cake's SS works great on people on the edge. I found out the hard way one game.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-27-2004 08:28:41 PM
It was fairly annoying. It took a luck shot to hit him. I wouldn't kick him for it, but I wouldn't try that move myself. I would say it was exploiting of how shots hit the edge of the map.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 08:30:49 PM
Hay, since this is a GB thread, anyone want to play?
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-27-2004 08:31:46 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Cake's SS works great on people on the edge. I found out the hard way one game.

They fixed that.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-27-2004 08:33:46 PM
quote:
So quoth Inferno-Spirit:

I mean your drop from the air, I figured that you had been kicked.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 08:33:56 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived DJ Darius stammered:
They fixed that.

I see, so now, you can't drive off the edge at all? Interesting.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-27-2004 08:45:20 PM
quote:
Batty had this to say about Duck Tales:

YEAH!

Wait.. you fuc--

Khyron
posted 02-27-2004 08:48:23 PM
quote:
Willias was listening to Cher while typing:
Hay, since this is a GB thread, anyone want to play?

Server 11, Room 403

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-27-2004 09:10:26 PM
quote:
Khyron was listening to Cher while typing:

But, let's hear what you all think!

MURDER DEATH KILL

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-27-2004 09:21:37 PM
Oh wow Khy, what a joke.

This thread is outright sad.

Oh, and since this thread is asking for opinions...

Dropping on the edge is just as fine as dropping 3 pixels away from someone to shotgun away. Can't whine about one if you do the other.

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: Vorago ]

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-27-2004 09:22:08 PM
Couldn't you just as easily bunge him, or something?
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-27-2004 09:28:13 PM
Hey Khy.

quote:

You don't call me names, but it -really- bothers me when you won't let shit go, and keep going on and on and ON about so and so and how they suck/their gear is ugly/they kicked your ass.

You seem like a nice guy, but you also seem to get WAY too wrapped up in online games. Maybe you should de-stress, some?

Delphi Aegis
posted 02-27-2004 09:43:22 PM
quote:
Gikk was naked while typing this:
Hey Khy.

You don't call me names, but it -really- bothers me when you won't let shit go, and keep going on and on and ON about so and so and how they suck/their gear is ugly/they kicked your ass.

You seem like a nice guy, but you also seem to get WAY too wrapped up in online games. Maybe you should de-stress, some?

Is that like De-gauss?! Cos that's NEAT LOOKING. I bet he gets all discoloured and wavy and stuff!

Khyron
posted 02-27-2004 10:08:00 PM
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-27-2004 10:59:54 PM
quote:
From the book of Khyron, chapter 3, verse 16:
Unusual bug!

I get that bug ALL the time if I host. People will join the game, and have the name AND avatar of someone else. Will be on the phone with Inferno playing, and we find out that I am seeing people in-game that aren't there, instead of people that are

it's freaky, also tends to result in me disconnecting

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 02-27-2004 11:11:54 PM
quote:
Khyron wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Because I'm bored, and that ruined an otherwise pretty fun game of Gunbound?

What about all the times where you openly mock people, and tell them how terrible they are in all forms of online play?

I'm of the opinion that that ruins an otherwise 'pretty fun' game of ANYTHING.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-28-2004 12:20:10 AM
Yay!
I'm a stone axe now, from 1503 GP! ))))

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Khyron
posted 02-28-2004 12:45:29 AM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Knight Rider:
I get that bug ALL the time if I host. People will join the game, and have the name AND avatar of someone else. Will be on the phone with Inferno playing, and we find out that I am seeing people in-game that aren't there, instead of people that are

it's freaky, also tends to result in me disconnecting

First time I have EVER seen it happen, and I host.... uh.... all the time.

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 02-28-2004 06:09:54 AM
quote:
Gikk stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Yay!
I'm a stone axe now, from 1503 GP! ))))

142GP to Stone axe for me.. and 942 to Metal Axe (when I can join the NoPants brigade [EC Gunbound clan])

I need to play more..

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-28-2004 07:56:24 AM
Whinefests like this is the main reason I vehemently avoid EC fads.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 02-28-2004 12:33:11 PM
quote:
Zaza stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

I play WR.

I contribute nothing...

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 02-28-2004 12:35:55 PM
FIRE ZE RAIL GUN!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 02-28-2004 02:13:14 PM
DEFEND ZE OBJECTIVE!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 02-28-2004 02:19:03 PM
quote:
Zaza probably says this to all the girls:

Khyron is the main reason for me. He tears into anyone that screws up even once on his team, whines everytime he gets killed, makes excuses for anyone(re: everyone) that is better than him, and mocks the one or two people he can beat.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: