EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Need help finding something!
Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-26-2004 08:09:41 PM
I'm trying to get into a stringed instrument of some sort but not sure which...the orchestrational kind, not electric guitars. To figure out which I'd like to try, I've been searching for music samples of different ones and come up empty-handed. Any help there and also any comments on viola, cello, bass, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 02-26-2004 08:42:57 PM
Banjo, motherfucker.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-26-2004 08:44:27 PM
quote:
Cookies & Cream! said this about your mom:
Banjo, motherfucker.
Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-26-2004 08:48:27 PM
Holden I thought we agreed in AIM that fiddles wtfpwn banjos.
"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 02-26-2004 08:54:39 PM
Violin = the pwn
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 02-26-2004 08:55:11 PM
Play the viola and you will always feel wanted.
Suddar
posted 02-26-2004 08:56:42 PM
Play the harp in skimpy costumes.
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 02-26-2004 09:00:19 PM
quote:
Suddar was listening to Cher while typing:
Play the harp in skimpy costumes.

GET ON AIM.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-26-2004 09:05:14 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when ^_^ Zeke kekeke lala~~ wrote:
I'm trying to get into a stringed instrument of some sort but not sure which...the orchestrational kind, not electric guitars. To figure out which I'd like to try, I've been searching for music samples of different ones and come up empty-handed. Any help there and also any comments on viola, cello, bass, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Try here for decent sound samples of the string instruments.

But comments on the instruments:
1) Bass: Great instrument if you like to play different genres, as can play classical, jazz, rock, country, etc. Minuses are that it's awkward as all hell to transport. Also, if you want to play classical chamber music, there is almost nothing written for bass.

2) Violin: Another good instrument for crossing some genres, including classical, country, folk, etc. Good thing is too, every classical orchestra needs a boatload of players. Problem is, because of this, violin players are also a dime a dozen. Many, many, many good solo pieces written for violin too.

3) Viola: Kind of the neglected cousin of the violin. You see many people who couldn't hack it as a violin player fall back to being a viola player. This means that, generally, there are not a whole lot of good viola players out there. It's a shame really, as I love the sound of the viola, a much deeper timbre than the violin. Not much solo work for the viola, but every orchestra or string quartet needs violas. If you already know music, and the treble and or bass clef, making the transition to viola can be a little difficult, as their parts are written in Alto clef (where middle C is the middle line of the staff). No real crossover potential between genres.

4) Cello: A good instrument. Love the timbre of it. All orchestras and string quartets need cellos too. Fair amount of decent solo pieces written for cello. Not much cross over potential between genres. It is basically a bass type instrument, so it's orchestral parts can verge on the boring at times.

Hope this helps.

nem-x
posted 02-26-2004 09:26:07 PM
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-27-2004 01:09:08 PM
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2004 03:14:35 PM
Learn real Guitar. Guitar sonnats are quite possible the most amazing thing you will ever hear. One of them sounds like an entire band at points, quite impressive and nothing like the so called musicians that populate our media.
Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-27-2004 10:39:31 PM
Thanks, guys! Very helpful site Cherveny and the chocobo music is awesome, Gains. Decision: Violin
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-27-2004 11:04:48 PM
quote:
^_^ Zeke kekeke lala~~ had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Thanks, guys! Very helpful site Cherveny and the chocobo music is awesome, Gains. Decision: Violin

Good choice. My mom, an uncle, and two cousins all play violin.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-27-2004 11:14:50 PM
I played Violin when I was much younger and if you want to be *good* at it, you'd better have fast and thin fingers. My hands aren't really suited to playing violin sadly and after breaking my left pinky in the 5th grade I doubt I could really handle playing it.

Viola is more of a down-step from Violin. Usually most pieces call for the Violin to be the big badass out front and the Viola is the backup/background. But there are situations where the roles are reversed. Again, small and nimble fingers are a requirement to be *good*.

Cello is where you begin to need strength in your fingers. The strings become heavy duty and keeping the right note held is more of a challenge than I'd have originally thought. There are some pieces that require a good amount of dexterity thought, and if you're good enough, you can play Metallica (these guys KICK ASS. Inquisition Symphony is WELL worth getting)

Bass.... well.. I have 0 experience with Bass other than to say I've been told that you need decent finger strength and a willingness to haul the motherfucker around.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: