EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Passion of the Christ
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:40:47 PM
I didn't see any other thread on it so..

Has anyone else seen it? I almost lost my fried rice and I pride myself with being able to take a lot of gore but..

I think there was about 4 or 5 people leaving that were not crying.. the rest were either tearing up or straight out bawling.

Amazing movie.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-25-2004 10:51:29 PM
Hey, your name is dracula spelled backwards.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Gadani
U
posted 02-25-2004 11:06:57 PM
quote:
At a screening in Wichita, Kansas, a woman in her 50s began having trouble breathing toward the end of the movie and later died, a theater official said.

"There were several physicians in the audience, and they attended to her until the ambulance arrived," said Ken Crockett, corporate vice president of Warren Theaters. "It was a pretty emotional thing."

An autopsy was planned Thursday to determine the cause of her death, according to the local medical examiner.

Wow...

Edit: taken from here.

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Gadani ]

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-25-2004 11:15:11 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper painfully thought these words up:

omg you made me choke on my water..

Anyway, that's pretty shocking that a lady died at the theater. She was watching him die, then she went too. Weird.

I am not sure if I want to see the movie. I don't like violent films. I already know the storyline, so I am not sure I want to see it so visually portayed.

As for the anti-Semite thing.. I can't judge it unless I did see it. I do know that the Bible says that the Christians should embrace the Jews as brothers because they were the Chosen ones. If I had to I could find the scripture.

Anyway... it just isn't the type of thing that I would find entertaining, and I am not looking for spiritual guidance right now either. So, I just don't see myself viewing the movie except to dispell any rumor and mistruths.

Tal At Work
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 11:25:19 PM
And this has caused...

another 40 million in second week ticket sales.

And the Anti Semite thing... I find highly amusing. They wore prison uniforms in New York, to remind people of the Holocaust...

As if..

1. People forgot about the Holocaust.
2. Mel Gibson had anything to do with Nazi repression of Jews.
3. The bible said something OTHER than "It was the Jews fault"
4. Jesus HIMSELF wasnt a Jew.
5. It would DETER ticket sales.

And of course the pope approves of this film. After all, the Catholic Church uses a Jew nailed to a Cross as its MASCOT. Sure, its not just ANY Jew. And Yes, its the son of God. but you dont see Jews protesting in front of Catholic churches to try and change THAT, now do you?

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-25-2004 11:30:49 PM
quote:
Sinj had this to say about Duck Tales:

1. People forgot about the Holocaust.
2. Mel Gibson had anything to do with Nazi repression of Jews.

Maybe it had to with the fact that Mel Gibson's father says that the Holocaust was fake. Though what his father says is irrelevent too.

Tal At Work
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 11:35:58 PM
quote:
From the book of Zair, chapter 3, verse 16:
Maybe it had to with the fact that Mel Gibson's father says that the Holocaust was fake. Though what his father says is irrelevent too.

Yeah....

Cuz ya know.. it was SO easy to fake killing 6 million jews in the early 20th century..

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-25-2004 11:36:48 PM
quote:
Sinj wrote this stupid crap:
Yeah....

Cuz ya know.. it was SO easy to fake killing 6 million jews in the early 20th century..

He claims they all went to America or something....

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-25-2004 11:41:18 PM
quote:
Sinj had this to say about Knight Rider:
And of course the pope approves of this film. After all, the Catholic Church uses a Jew nailed to a Cross as its MASCOT. Sure, its not just ANY Jew. And Yes, its the son of God. but you dont see Jews protesting in front of Catholic churches to try and change THAT, now do you?

This made me laugh...

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-26-2004 12:14:13 AM
My boss took a good chunk of the day off to go see this movie. He said it's worth seeing, but I think he may be biased... you know... being catholic and all..

I'll probably see it at some point just to see it as a movie.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-26-2004 01:21:48 AM
Nae

I dont think Im going to watch it either, Its subtitled isnt it?

Meh.

Im pretty sure I know how it ends

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 02-26-2004 01:36:56 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about Captain Planet:

I just now noticed that, after seeing your name for quite a while...

Probably going to go see this with some friends from work, since my parents don't want to go see it (due to violence), looks pretty good as far as I can see.

Moo.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 02-26-2004 01:47:16 AM
quote:
Because, Elvish Crack Piper... You are a puppet.
Nae

I dont think Im going to watch it either, Its subtitled isnt it?

Meh.

Im pretty sure I know how it ends

I do.

You know... Frodo wakes up just before the next generation of Terminators, as deadly as they are sexy, get him. Then, they made it that Samwise becomes a half vampire who, get this twist, hunts vampires.

The vampires, Sauron and the Terminators went and ganged up against the hobbits in a winner-take-all brawl for middle earth. Vin Diesel totally rules as Aragorn. After all, that other guy didn't make it- what's his name? Butch Vigo or something.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-26-2004 07:34:20 AM
Vigo Mortison, I think.

But you totally forgot the part where the elven stripper assassin bodyguards destroy the vampires by distracting them with their (_|_) while frodo and the hobbits rally the jedi knights and the rebels for an all out cooking battle, winner takes all!

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 02-26-2004 07:48:57 AM
quote:
What sound does a dog make? Ruff. Like A_Blindy_005's mother likes it.
Vigo Mortison, I think.

But you totally forgot the part where the elven stripper assassin bodyguards destroy the vampires by distracting them with their (_|_) while frodo and the hobbits rally the jedi knights and the rebels for an all out cooking battle, winner takes all!

Dude you're sick.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-26-2004 08:05:10 AM
I haven't seen it yet myself, but I was working door yesterday (Work at movie theater, door is the dude who rips your ticket) and we sold out damned near all our showings after 5pm. The last showing that we had was at 10:15, it didn't get out until about 12:40, and it was still more than half full, and it was in our 2nd largest theater.

It's funny when people come to big movies like this 10 minutes before it starts and say "Holy shit, that's my line?"

And I just grin and say "They started lining up more than an hour ago sir, I'm sorry." (Like started in the movie theater, went out to the street, and started wrapping around the theater)

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-26-2004 09:07:57 AM
The first I heard about this movie was last night. The following is a rough approximation of the conversation:
quote:
Parent: Have you heard about the new movie starring Mel Gibson? Was anyone at work talking about it?
Me: You know how I am with names. What was he in?
Parent: Some cop movie with Danny Glover
Me: Lethal Weapon?
Parent: Yeah.
Me: Nobody at work has mentioned it. Haven't seen any ads either.
Parent: Well, they were probably working, but some of them may go see it tonight. They may be talking about it tomorrow.
Me: Oh-kay...
Parent: It's supposed to be a movie about the last twelve hours of Jesus's life. It's a very anti-semetic movie. There's a lot of violence in it.
Me: Well, this is the first I've heard of it.
Parent: It's playing in theatres around the country right now.
Me (repeating): Well, this is the first I've heard of it.
I saw an ad for it about an hour after that. It looked... violent. I briefly considered that the people who wrote it might have tried to immitate Gladiator, only without the creativity.

I figure I'll wait for a while, hear what people think of it, then not rent it when it comes out on video.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Talonus
Loner
posted 02-26-2004 09:11:32 AM
I haven't gotten to see it yet, but will get a chance to see it this weekend. Here's my friend's opinion though. Taking a look at it without dealing with the content, its an amazing movie. The acting is top notch, the visual portrayl is done very well (if a bit gory), and it just feels like a complete movie. Opinions are going to differ on the movie because of the content.

Looking at the content, you're really going to come out of this movie in three pools; Christian viewer, Jewish viewer, or other. For Christians, its a very emotional piece relating to the core of your belief. Most Christians aren't going to be able to spot some of the inaccurate parts though, which leads to problems relating to the next viewers. For Jewish viewers, you're going to feel that there was anti-Semitism in the movie, which mainly comes from how they dealt with Barbaras in the film. Mel Gibson's bias shows through to an extent here, but not as greatly so as the news segments would have you believe. Other viewers won't really "get it", but can appreciate how well the movie is done from a film critic's point of view that is impossible for the other two types of viewers.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-26-2004 09:13:14 AM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Sinj stammered,
As if..
3. The bible said something OTHER than "It was the Jews fault"

Dude, what kind of fucked-up bible did you read?

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: `Doc ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Talonus
Loner
posted 02-26-2004 09:24:10 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about (_|_):

Dude, what kind of fucked-up bible did you read that from?

Eh, technically it really depends on how you look at it. A crowd of Jews picked to free Barabas (yes I mispelled it in the last post) over Jesus. This was because Jesus was just another prophet at the time, while Barabas was one of the leaders of the Jewish rebellion against the Jews. The Catholic Church says its not the fault of the Jews, but some sects semi-ignore this. So thecnically, its possible to take that from the Bible.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-26-2004 09:36:28 AM
Oh. See, I always thought it was the Romans who crucified lots of Jewish people, and therefore blamed the Romans for crucifying Jesus. You know, along with all the other crucified people.

I keep wanting to spell it cruxified.

Ukko-san
Pancake
posted 02-26-2004 09:36:41 AM
I havent seen the movie yet,

But as I know humanity as I know it, as I know that a man, or woman can be more cruel that anydevil spawn.

At the end, the movie must be neer the reality of life, as scary that might be.

Faith is something of the soul.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 02-26-2004 09:42:42 AM

And I was ’round when jesus christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-26-2004 09:49:43 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Knight Rider:

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name

quote:
Sympathy for the Devil

Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
I’ve been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man’s soul and faith
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
I stuck around st. petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank
Held a general’s rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah
I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made
I shouted out,
Who killed the kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me
Let me please introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached bombay
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what’s confusing you
Is just the nature of my game
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me lucifer
’cause I’m in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I’ll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, um yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down
Oh yeah
Oh yeah!
Tell me baby, what’s my name
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name
Tell me baby, what’s my name
I tell you one time, you’re to blame
Ooo, who
Ooo, who
Ooo, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Oh, yeah
What’s me name
Tell me, baby, what’s my name
Tell me, sweetie, what’s my name
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Oh, yeah

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 02-26-2004 11:00:30 AM
Yeah I heard they took out the part where the Jews in the crowd shouted: "Let the blood be upon us and our children." I don't see why they bothered. Its not like a movie will incite anti-semitism in anyone with half a brain cell.

Maybe they're worried about political feeling against Israel or some other ridiculous nonsense. Damned if I know. Its not like you're going to have the Jewish community up in arms and running around yelling "DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER AND STEREOTYPING OMGWTFBBQ". After all, its a historical fact.

I don't know if I want to go see it myself as I've also heard that its incredibly graphic. The sickening part is that some parents are taking their children to see this. >_< Its bad enough reading about it; seeing it is pretty much guaranteed to have about a thousand times as much of an impact, and while that could be considered a good thing, its not something I'd want anyone under the age of sixteen to experience.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-26-2004 11:04:03 AM
this is just fucking stupid.

White guys get portrayed as doing bad stuff all the time in movies, but we don't consider that racist, because the story is set in america or whatever and the majority of people there are white. The story is set in Jeruslam. Sorry about your luck Jewish people. Get over it. Maybe if they brought a rich white guy in and had him condemn Jesus it would be more PC for you.

It's the way it fucking happened. Get over it.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: