EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Odd laws

can you please fix my title
posted 02-24-2004 11:52:41 AM
god only knows why these were ever put on the books.

Pacific Grove, California- It causes a misdemeanor if you kill or threaten a butterfly

Ventura County, California- Cats or dogs can't have sex without a permit.

Sarasota, Florida- It is illegal to wear swimwear while singing a public place.

Chicago, Illinois- A hat pin is considered a concealed weapon.

Michigan- It is illegal for a woman to cut her hair without her husband's consent.

Minnesota- It is illegal to mock skunks.

Brainerd, Minnesota- Every man must grow a beard

Ohio- It is illegal to sell beer while wearing a Santa Claus suit, even if you are a dog.

Seattle, Washington- It is illegal to sell lollipops. Suckers are fine.

Virginia- All bathtubs must be outside, not in the house.

Toronto, Canada- It is illegal to ride a streetcar on Sunday after eating garlic.

Cleveland, Ohio- It is illegal to capture mice without a hunting license.

Arizona- It is illegal to hunt camels.

Kentucky- It is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

Louisana- It is illegal to rob a bank, and then shoot the teller with a water pistol.

Indiana- It is prohibited to bathe in the winter.

Kentucky- You must take a bath at least once a year.

Alaska- It is illegal to look at a moose from a flying vehicle.

Atlanta, Georgia- is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

Idaho- It is forbidden by law for one citizen to give another citizen a box of candy that weighs more than 50 pounds.

New York State- It is illegal to shoot a rabbit from a trolley car.

Somalia, Africa- It is illegal to carry old gum on the tip of you nose.

New Jersey- It is illegal to slurp soup.

Arkansas- A man is allowed to beat his wife, but no more than once a month.

Chicago, Illinois- It is illegal for a woman that weighs 200 pounds to ride horses in shorts.

Miami, Florida- It is illegal for a man to wear a strapless gown.

Mesquite, Texas- It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.

Connecticut- It is illegal to walk across the street on your hands.

Avignon, France- It is illegal for a flying saucer to land in the city.

North Carolina- You cannot sell cotton lint or cotton seed at night.

New York- It is illegal to do anything against the law.

Hartford, Connecticut- It is illegal to plant a tree in the street.

Christiansburg, Virginia- It is illegal to spit.

Provincetown, Massachusetts- it's illegal to sell suntan oil until after noon on Sunday.

San Fransisco- It is illegal to beat a rug in front of you house.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 11:59:08 AM
What should scare you, Somthor, is the fact that at one time it was necessary to put them on the books for public welfare.
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 02-24-2004 12:03:09 PM
They're funny if they're real, but many of these "funny" laws are actually made up or have been gotten rid of 50 years ago
hey
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 02-24-2004 12:24:38 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Pirotess:

We don't mock them, we run them over... which isn't necessarily better...

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-24-2004 12:26:47 PM
quote:
Toronto, Canada- It is illegal to ride a streetcar on Sunday after eating garlic.

i hope that they took that out... too many people should be fined if they didn't.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 02:13:15 PM
quote:

<homer>
Oh look at me, I'm a skunk, I have a white stripe and I'm really smelly.
</homer>
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-24-2004 02:25:10 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Somthor said:
god only knows why these were ever put on the books.

Pacific Grove, California- It causes a misdemeanor if you kill or threaten a butterfly

Having lived next door in Monterey for a while I can answer this one. When Monarch butterflies are on their migration, they stop off in Pacific Grove. MILLIONS of them. It's actually quite a tourist draw for them. Not unlike when the swallows return to San Juan Capistrano. So it's in place to prevent people from damaging a very lucrative tourist draw.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-24-2004 02:37:24 PM
Having lived in Mesquite, Tx I know that that law came from the school district. They were sick of kids getting odd things shaved into their heads and all they could do was suspend the student. One of the administrators brought it up before the City Council and an ordinace was passed which basically now allows the district to have the parents fined for letting their kids do stupid shit to their heads.

As for some of the others, they've most likely been repealed at some point. The laws are on the books still however since it was a law.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 02-24-2004 03:46:06 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Random Insanity Generator booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Having lived in Mesquite, Tx I know that that law came from the school district. They were sick of kids getting odd things shaved into their heads and all they could do was suspend the student. One of the administrators brought it up before the City Council and an ordinace was passed which basically now allows the district to have the parents fined for letting their kids do stupid shit to their heads.

Because heavens knows what'd happen if we let kids have constitutional rights.

Dauragon
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 04:05:44 PM
In MA, it's illegal to scare pigeons.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-24-2004 04:20:39 PM
Hartford, Connecticut- It is illegal to plant a tree in the street

---

That's MY city.. i'm tempted to fill up a pothole with dirt and plant a sapling in it...

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-24-2004 04:25:10 PM
quote:
Atlanta, Georgia- is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

That's been making me want to test it for years. Ever since I moved back north from Savannah.

"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 02-24-2004 04:26:28 PM
quote:
New York- It is illegal to do anything against the law.

Greatest law ever!

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 08:44:48 PM
Quitman, Georgia
It is against the law for a chicken to cross the road.

no bullshit.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-25-2004 12:59:25 AM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton had this to say about Tron:
Because heavens knows what'd happen if we let kids have constitutional rights.

Kids technically don't have those rights. Their parents have those rights, but anything serious the kid does usually has reprecussions on the parents. Since the kids aren't 100% responsible for themselves they do not get 100% of the rights provided under those laws...

At least that's the rationale used. *shrug* Seeing black guys with 'grandma' carved into their hair was retarded enough to keep me from arguing the point.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 04:07:05 PM
California: It is illegal to hunt a whale from your car.

That one always amused me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: