EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What's so good about your town?
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 02-06-2004 09:39:26 AM
This thread is dedicated to you telling us little tidbits (be they historical or otherwise) about your town.

I live in Amersham.

The earliest charter concerning Amersham is dated AD 796. Amersham was then called Agmodesham. The Doomsday Book listed Amersham as Elmodesham, with 6 manors, one belonging to the wife of Edward the Confessor. In 1200, King John (called Lackland because his father gave ALL the royal lands to Richard III) granted the town a market and fair, the fair is still held every year on the 19th and 20th of September, the market every Tuesday, but it has moved to Amersham on the Hill. The Reformation had some roots in the town as several Lollards were condemned to death and burnt at the stake, a memorial on the hill above the town commemorates this event
From the 14th century, Amersham was an active centre of Dissent: on the hill above Amersham is The Martyrs' Memorial to those who were burnt at the stake for their religious beliefs during the reign of Queen Mary. During the Civil War Oliver Cromwell's family lived in the area (at Woodrow High House, just outside Amersham). From the 17th century prominent Quakers settled in the area and endured persecution.
The school I go to is also almost 400 years old and was founded by the local priests to enable the more intelligent locals to go to university by teaching them Latin, Greek and Rhetoric.

And that's that.. It turned into a lot more than I thought I'd write, oops

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 02-06-2004 09:58:05 AM
We have one of those seven famous women colleges here. Woop-dee-doo.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-06-2004 10:05:58 AM
We have hookers and gambling, lots of lights, secret military operations, aliens, and tons of booze! Oh yeah.. no state tax too!
Puggy
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 10:12:26 AM
My town has three buildings in it. The post office, the gas station, and the shipment warehouse. I guess that means theres a low crime rate.

[ 02-06-2004: Message edited by: Puggy ]

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-06-2004 10:14:06 AM
I live in a city called "Essen", "Essen" means "food" and we all know that food is good for you.

Essen is over 1150 years old... and some other stuff I'm too lazy to list.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-06-2004 10:17:37 AM
uh... Warrensburg is 5 miles north of Lake George, where part of the Last of the Mohegan story took place...

Only has three traffic lights =( Is a veddy small town.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 10:18:32 AM
I live
Brick NJ

I was born
Bozeman MT

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-06-2004 10:20:49 AM
I wish I lived in some European town with a long and rich history. I live in Streamwood, Illinois, which is 45 years old and has a Dairy Queen.
D Spot
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 10:22:01 AM
The inventor of Volleyball lived in my town.
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 02-06-2004 10:22:03 AM
Damnit, too old to edit for paragraph breaks..

Damn this tiredness.

Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 02-06-2004 11:18:57 AM
ive been thinking about making this thread for a long time

my town is dumb....tommy hilfiger went to my highschool ...the town where i got to school is a huge townies town..the town i live in is a cow town and we have a burger king, a cvs and a video store..
oh yeah, and job lot

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-06-2004 11:22:49 AM
I live 2 miles from General Electric's main engine research and production facility. It was number 12 on the Russians's Nuke list, or something like that. Two miles in the other direction is one of Ford's largest production facilities, and three miles north of me is P&G's global headquarters.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-06-2004 11:36:49 AM
Constitution Town of the United States.

So we hae a parade.

Plus, it's a nice, quiet 'town' which rolls into farms 7 minutes out of the center of town. very little crime, but then again, the most bigoted, homophobic town I've ever seen.

but the weather's nice...

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 11:59:27 AM
Absolutely nothing.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 12:07:13 PM
My hometown, Williamsport, PA, is the birthplace of Little League baseball, and the place where the Little League World Series is held every year. Also, for a period in the late 19th century, it was the largest lumbering center on earth.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 02-06-2004 12:20:17 PM
The Great Gatsby was written about the town I grew up in.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 02-06-2004 12:20:27 PM
Ale and whores.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-06-2004 12:30:00 PM
They make the Anthrax vaccine about ~6 miles from my house

My town also produces more cars then any other city in the world.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-06-2004 12:40:58 PM
My city has history..(like everyother ) and not much else:

quote:
When Hernando deSoto journeyed through this area in 1540 the city limits of present-day Macon had been inhabited for more than 13,000 years. Many cultures inhabited the "Fall Line" including Moundbuilders and the Hitchiti, who would later move south and form the core of the Seminole Tribe. When English traders visited a group of Native Americans, probably in 1686 under the command of Dr. Henry Woodward, they referred to them as the "Ochese (Ocmulgee) Creek," eventually dropping the "Ochese" and simply calling these people Creek Indians. The traders opened a post a few years later (now protected as part of the Ocmulgee National Monument) and from this point in time forward the area had English settlers continuously.
These settlers were frequently threatened by both Creek and Cherokee Indians, the French to the west and the Spanish to the south until 1702-1703 when repeated victories drove the Spanish army from Central Georgia. From this point on only Spanish miners would occasionally pass through, headed north to gold fields along the Chattahoochee River near its confluence with Duke's Creek.

In 1739 James Oglethorpe and a group of Georgia Guard passed by the Ocmulgee Old Fields, the ancient mounds considered holy by the Creek. A member of the guard made a note about the mounds, marking the first written account of the Ocmulgee Old Fields.

William Bartram, who explored coastal and inland Georgia, passed the Ocmulgee River in the vicinity of Macon. Travelling east-west, his route led him on to the Creek capital of Coweta.

The westward push of the settlers had forced repeated cessions from the Creek Nation to England, Georgia, and finally the United States of America. The Treaty of Fort Wilkerson (June 16, 1802) and the Treaty of Washington (Nov 14, 1805) pushed the frontier of Georgia to the banks of the Ocmulgee and beyond. The settlers moving in demanded protection and Fort Hawkins was built. Named in honor of Benjamin Hawkins, Superintendent of the Southern Indians, the fort would play a pivotal role in the history of the state over the next 15 years, eventually bypassed by forts further west and south. Fort Hawkins' suttlers row grew into Newtown, near the ferry across the Ocmulgee River, which transported travelers along the Creek Trading Path (later known as the Federal Highway).

In 1822 Bibb County was created by the Georgia legislature. The following year, across the Ocmulgee from Fort Hawkins, Macon was formed, named in honor of Nathaniel Macon, an anti-Federalist North Carolinian served as Speaker of the House, president pro-tem of the Senate and made unsuccessful attempt at the vice-presidency in 1824. He was a powerful friend of Thomas Jefferson who has been relegated to footnote role in American history, beloved by Georgians for his strong states rights views. The basic design of the city is generally credited to James Webb.

In 1825 the Marquis de Lafayette visited the town on the Ocmulgee as he journeyed from coastal Georgia to Alabama on a trip that would take him to each of the states in the nation. It was the start of a series of major events that took place in Macon, Georgia over the next 35 years. Newtown, including the site of Fort Hawkins, was annexed in 1829. On December 23, 1836 the Georgia Female College was chartered by the state. It would open its doors two years later on January 7, 1839 under the direction of George Foster Pierce. The ninety women who were enrolled represented the first female college class in the world. Today the Georgia Female College is known as Wesleyan College.

Macon's antebullum architecture reflects the wealth of the city (Pictured: Hay House)
Sidney Lanier, who name is best known for the northeast Georgia's Lake Sidney Lanier, was born in Macon in 1845, the same year that the Central Railroad completed a line from Savannah to Macon, linking central Georgia's agricultural wealth to the coastal ports for shipping. In 1852 the kazoo was introduced at the Georgia State Fair. Created by Alabama Vest in Macon in the 1840's, it was manufactured by German clockmaker Thaddeus Von Clegg. In 1855 a referendum held to determine a capital city for Georgia, Macon came in last with 3,802 votes.

During the Civil War the city served as a hospital for wounded Confederates, a prison for Union soldiers, who were housed at the old fairgrounds and a manufacturing center for Confederate weapons. The Findley Iron Works built 80 1,500 lbs. cannon between 1862 and 1864. Macon was attacked in 1864 by General George Stoneman's cavalry in an ill-fated foray known as "The Stoneman Raid." The attack was repulsed by troops under the command of Howell Cobb. As General William Sherman approached the city towards the end of August, 1864, the interment camp was broken up and the prisoners spread out to other area camps. In November, 1864, Sherman was well on his "March to the Sea" (which surprisingly bypassed Macon and the Macon Arsenal) when Governor Joseph E. Brown decided to move the capital to Macon, to keep the state's records safe. A legislature was seated in the old city hall from February 15 until March 11, 1865. The city was finally captured, and under the command of General James H. Wilson at the end of the Civil War.

Milledgeville retook its title of capital in December, 1865. Through Reconstruction and into the 20th century, Macon grew into its predominent role in central Georgia as a town built on an agricultural base, creating a transportation hub. Building this hub after the Civil War destroyed significant portions of the Ocmulgee Old Fields on two occasions.

In 1909 photographer Lewis Wickes Hine visited the mills in Macon as part of a project to photograph child labor abuses (he failed to tell this to the owners of the mills). He visited Payne Mills and the Bibb Manufacturing Company, both in Macon. The photographs he shot there vividly depict the plight of young children who were working in these plants.

One requirement for the expanding city was power. Lake Jackson was completed in 1910 to meet this need. Construction on Camp Wheeler, named for Confederate Cavarly General Joseph Wheeler, began in July, 1917. It played an important role in training men from across the South to fight in World War I. These young men were frequently entertained by artists and musicians thanks to the work of the local Womans Club and the Y.W.C.A. Camp Wheeler was dismantled 18 months later.

After World War I Macon hit a growth spurt fueled by crop failure, the boll weevil, and a drought. Additionally, there was a feeling of safety in the city for black families that had lived in rural central Georgia. For two years, from 1924 to 1926 the Huff Daland Dusters operated in Macon. They left for Monroe, Louisiana in 1926, returning to Atlanta, Georgia as Delta Air Lines in 1941. The federal government encouraged Macon to build an airport, which was being completed when the first airmail plane arrived in September, 1926. Unfortunately, it couldn't land because of a dispute between city and county officials. A small crowd showed up to see what would happen. The postmaster of Macon stood away from the crowd, signaling the low, slow-flying plane by waving his arms. The pilot dropped the airmail in a bag, then continued south to Miami.

During the 1950's Macon began to both produce and attract a number of musicians, mostly black, with unusual musical talent. Among the names closely associated with the city are Leana Horne, Otis Redding, James Brown, "Little Richard" Penniman, and, slightly later, the Allman Brothers. It was only fitting that the Georgia Music Hall of Fame be located in a city that had such a wide-spread effect on music in America. In 1953 Neva Jane Langley (from Macon) won the coveted title of "Miss America."

Macon, along with much of central and western Georgia, bore the brunt of Alberto, first named storm of the 1994 hurricane season. When the city's water treatment plant on the banks of the Ocmulgee River was flooded more than 160,000 people went for up to 19 days without treated water. The river crested at 35.4 feet, significantly higher than the previous record of 29.90 set on March 19, 1990.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
LeMiere
posted 02-06-2004 12:47:19 PM
I live in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

Here, we have the London Bridge, (restored with a good percentage of the bridge's stones.) The Marlboro Man used to live here 'fore he died. Arnold Schwarzeneger used to live here (or still has a house here.) Lorenzo Llama's kids live here (I went to school with them. His son is pretty, but kinda dumb.)

We were voted number one spring break town in the U.S. several times by MTV. Playboy used to do shoots in town. A movie with David Hasslehof (Terror Under the Bridge) was made here (It was an AWFUL movie. TERRIBLE.)

Aaand... some other things.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 02-06-2004 12:59:10 PM
Windsor.

We lie on the busiest international border in the world, have a VERY bustling nightclub business (drinking age of 19 compared to 21 right across the border) and get tens of thousands of americans on a decent night downtown.

We also used to be the Bingo capital of the world. Also of note is that we have more Ford Mustangs per capita than any other place on earth.

A bustling tool and die industry means that anyone with a decent trade can make a nice chunk of money withoug needing a University degree.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-06-2004 01:01:42 PM
Offhand I'd say my town is important in that I lived most of my life thus far here, which will thusly attract much attention and fame to it in, say, 20-30 years.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-06-2004 01:03:41 PM
Hmm Small town in indiana Called Henryville.

Nothing much really happenes here. Our once claim to fame is that Colonel Sanders was born here.
He was kicked out of town for Running Moonshine.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-06-2004 01:22:07 PM
I come from the lowly Alliston which was THE birthplace of the famous scientist who invented Insulin, Dr. Fredrick Banting.
And its also the potato capital of ontario, but who the hell cares about potatoes, the insulin is more important.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 02-06-2004 01:24:11 PM
quote:
How.... Lechium.... uughhhhhh:
And its also the potato capital of ontario, but who the hell cares about potatoes, the insulin is more important.

Tell that to the Irish.

Sean
posted 02-06-2004 01:25:44 PM
I live in between two cities. One, Bethlehem, is absolutely nothing.

The other city is Athens, and all I know about it is that UGA pretty much made it what it is. So there's not much over that way, either.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Alaan
posted 02-06-2004 01:37:14 PM
Nothing too interesting in my town itself I know of(only been here two years). Around us though is 2 nuclear power plants within about 15 miles. Also near us is Starved Rock. Its a state park where some Indians were trapped by army troops. They refused to surrender so an entire group of the tribe starved to death there.
Dauragon
Pancake
posted 02-06-2004 01:43:31 PM
I live in Memphis.
I'm too lazy to provide a history (which would run for pages), so just go look it up on the Internet or something. Big city, lots of people. Ya, that about covers it.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-06-2004 02:07:33 PM
I have the world's oldest goodyear dealer in my town.

And the 1719 Hans Herr house, which I personally helped restore (Not restore, perse, but I was on the dig that found evidence of an external, low angle set of stairs they used to put barrels in the basement, causing them to do a major renovation of the house.)

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 02-06-2004 03:00:28 PM
Razor
posted 02-06-2004 03:07:11 PM
quote:
BurgerMeister painfully thought these words up:
Windsor.

We lie on the busiest international border in the world, have a VERY bustling nightclub business (drinking age of 19 compared to 21 right across the border) and get tens of thousands of americans on a decent night downtown.

It's ONE of the busiest. San Yisidro/Otay Mesa with TJ is just as large of a border crossing. 2 entry points, one for trucking, one for traffic general. we Have approx 54 Million crossers a year via vehicles, another 20 mil by foot/bike, and more than enough Illegal immigrants. It can be said that this is the LARGEST border crossing spanning over 15 miles...

San Diego though is BIG. You can fit Rhode Island completly inside our county twice, and it's population more than 4 time over in the city alone. I used to be in the sub area known as Point Loma, great are, used to be farm lands pre-1940's untill the Midway district was filled in to make it a feesible land crossing and business district. PL/OB was an island twice a day because of the tides.

Fort Rosecrans and the Cabrillo Monument are the furthest SW of any Military area in the contigious 48. It has some great views of Downtown, North Island/Coronado, and all the way down to Mexico, and when clear enough, you can see the mountains way far to the north, mainly San Gregornio.

Near by is the first of the 21 missions placed by Father Sierra. San Diego has been around, in various forms, since the mid 1600's.

Where I live now was the first Planned Community built that took into account all the geographical features to use it as it's best. Great Views, and Great locations. Nothings more than 2 miles away that we need.

There is way too much history for a city this size to put here.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-06-2004 03:11:58 PM
A long time ago Middletown was constructed, and then it burned down. They moved about 50 miles and remade it. It burned down again. They moved some more, and now we have the current Middletown. We have a fire station now.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-06-2004 03:19:40 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when BurgerMeister wrote:
Also of note is that we have more Ford Mustangs per capita than any other place on earth.

I've noticed that alot since I came to Windsor for college. Every single time I cross Huron-Church line in the morning, I see like 5 or 6 of them all lined up in a row. And quite a few more parked at the the Tim Hortons.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Ryuujin
posted 02-06-2004 03:40:51 PM
Beaufort, NC is the 3rd oldest town in North Carolina, settled in 1705. Lessee...we have a Civil War fort right across the inlet called Fort Macon.

We have wild ponies on an island across Taylor's Creek.

We're right on the Intracoastal Waterway.

We have the Hammock House which was Blackbeard the Pirate's house and is also supposedly haunted.

These are just a few of the main attractions.

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 02-06-2004 03:49:37 PM
I live in boston, enough said!
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-06-2004 04:29:59 PM
Well, I can think of some bad things on where I grew up (Medina, OH).

Biggest probably is it was the home town of two past grand dragons of the KKK. (Shows you the nice, enlightened attitude of much of the population.)

Luckly, lately it has slowly been getting a bit better, but that undercurrent of racism is still there if you look closely.

Suddar
posted 02-06-2004 04:41:50 PM
The half of the town I live in burned completely to the ground 50-100 years ago.

It was then completely rebuilt and dubbed "New Auburn" instead of just plain old vanilla Auburn.

[ 02-06-2004: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-06-2004 04:48:23 PM
Supposedly a lot of celebrities have a summer house or something near here. Otherwise it's fucking boring as all hell.
Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 02-06-2004 05:48:07 PM
oh yeah i forgot one

the poem "Casey at the Bat"

was writting about the town i got to school in
"mudville" is the reference in the poem, but my town is called holliston
anyway, theres proof and stuff it was written about my town

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Ares
posted 02-06-2004 05:54:55 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Burlington, ont has a lot of historical BG.. But I don't feel like talking about it.

My favourite tidbit, however, is the fact that Burlington is the 2nd most haunted city in Canada.

We have a lot of colonial war and 1812 forts and background.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: