EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Passion
bob12121212
Pancake
posted 01-16-2004 12:29:02 PM
Is anyone else interested in this movie, "The Passion of the Christ"?

The plot is basicly a vivid depiction of the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life. Sometime around the year A.D. 30, in the Roman province of Palestine, an obscure Jewish carpenter named Jesus of Nazareth began to teach publicly and to proclaim the coming of a 'Kingdom of God.' For centuries, the Jewish people had expected the appearance of a promised deliverer known as the Messiah --a figure who would restore their ancient dignity, and free their sacred homeland from all evil and despair.

In the minds of many, Jesus appeared to be this Messiah. Surrounded by a core group of twelve disciples, Jesus began to attract a massive following from among the common people of Galilee and Judea, who eventually praised him as their Messiah and King. However, Jesus also had many enemies in Jerusalem. The Sanhedrin, a governing senate composed of the leading Jewish priests and Pharisees, conspired to put Jesus to death.

With the aid of Judas Iscariot, a member of Jesus' own inner circle, the Sanhedrin succeeded in arresting Jesus, handing him over to the Roman secular authorities on unsubstantiated charges of treason against Rome. Although Jesus consistently maintained that his Kingdom was a heavenly and spiritual one, the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate, faced with the possibility of a riot, ordered that Jesus be taken outside the city and crucified as a common criminal.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 01-16-2004 12:56:52 PM

This movie's existence boggles me on so many levels.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-16-2004 12:59:10 PM
"From The Director of 'The Fast and the Furious' and 'SWAT' comes The Passion of the Christ!"

I would pay to see it

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 01-16-2004 12:59:45 PM
Wow! That sounds like a kickass movie! I wonder if they've made it into a book yet...
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-16-2004 01:02:08 PM
All I can picture is the fight scene of Neo VS the hundred Agent Smiths from Matrix : Reloaded, except Neo is Jesus, the Smiths are roman soldiers, and the metal pole Neo is using is Jesus' crucifix.

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Vorago ]

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-16-2004 01:06:53 PM
quote:
Sakkra stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Wow! That sounds like a kickass movie! I wonder if they've made it into a book yet...

Okay.. this made me laugh out loud in a room by myself.

I want to see this movie. I want to see what the big deal is. People were flipping out over it, and I don't want to judge it unless I see it for myself.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-16-2004 01:15:52 PM
Isn't it being shown with no subtitles and the language is all in Latin, Hebrew or Aramic?

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Katrinity ]

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 01-16-2004 01:30:50 PM
the actor playing jesus was struck by lightning 3 times during the filming of the movie.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-16-2004 01:37:13 PM
All I know is the Pope watched it, and said he liked it.

Odd how the "inevitable" protest kinda died out after that....

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 01-16-2004 01:54:27 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Neo-Blindy!
the actor playing jesus was struck by lightning 3 times during the filming of the movie.

lol

I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-16-2004 02:05:03 PM
quote:
Neo-Blindy wrote this stupid crap:

Last I heard it was a camera man, and he had been struck twice.

Got an article handy on that?

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 01-16-2004 02:08:08 PM
here are a few links
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-16-2004 02:26:16 PM
I stand corrected
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-16-2004 02:26:54 PM
Main actor struck once.

assistant director struck twice.

Read your own links!

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 01-16-2004 02:30:09 PM
I am very interested in this movie.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-16-2004 03:15:14 PM
Christ died in 30 A.D.?

So much for the basis of our current calendar!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 01-16-2004 03:17:08 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bloodsage said:
Christ died in 30 A.D.?

Our callender is based off of B.C. - Before Christ, and Ano Domini - After birth.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 01-16-2004 03:17:50 PM
It says in 30 A.D. he began teaching, not was killed.

lern 2 reed

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 01-16-2004 03:22:58 PM
I hope this movie finally gets the ending right, though.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 01-16-2004 03:34:45 PM
From the first google link:

"Although it is not due for release until early next year, it has already hit headlines after Jewish figures in the United States slated it for being "dangerous" and portraying Jews in a negative way."

I don't think this is the biggest problem anyone could have with this film. Anyway it kind of reminds me of (I think I read about this on Penny Arcade) the anti-Arabic-defamation league or something along those lines criticizing Aladdin because it portrayed many of its Arabian characters in a negative way...but all the characters were Arabian...so...

But really. What is the point of making a film about the life of Jesus Christ? We have the Bible, we have passion plays, we have Jesus Christ Superstar.

Although, filming it entirely in Latin and Aramaic with no subtitles is pretty damn bold. But I hear there are some die-hard fanboys of this series already that probably know the story by heart or something. I even hear some of them are worse than those hard-core LotR and Star Wars guys. Geez.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-16-2004 03:42:18 PM
quote:
Cysa The Clown thought about the meaning of life:
Our callender is based off of B.C. - Before Christ, and Ano Domini - After birth.

Pssst: it was a joke. If it was based on reality rather than popular misconception, it wouldn't be humorous.

Neener.

Edit: btw, if you're going to correct me, at least be thorough. Anno domini means "in the year of our Lord" roughly. Not "after birth." It signifies the birth, roughly, but that's not what it means.

Neener again.

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Bloodsage ]

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 01-16-2004 03:53:54 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bloodsage stammered:
Pssst: it was a joke. If it was based on reality rather than popular misconception, it wouldn't be humorous.

Neener.

Edit: btw, if you're going to correct me, at least be thorough. Anno domini means "in the year of our Lord" roughly. Not "after birth." It signifies the birth, roughly, but that's not what it means.

Neener again.

After all, if it signified the exact date of birth then Christmas would be the New Year if everything else is accurate.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-16-2004 03:57:44 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Knight Rider:
After all, if it signified the exact date of birth then Christmas would be the New Year if everything else is accurate.

It's not even the same year.

And Christmas is merely the usurpation of the winter solstice by the Church. The best way to get pagans to covert is to steal their holy days.

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 01-16-2004 04:07:51 PM
I only knew what "After birth" cause I continuesly questioned the teacher on why there would be a 30-40 year gap, so finally some one from my class told me it was Ano Domini, and it refered to the time after his birth.
Alaan
posted 01-16-2004 06:00:46 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

And Christmas is merely the usurpation of the winter solstice by the Church. The best way to get pagans to covert is to steal their holy days.

From what I've heard Jesus most likely would have been born some time during summer. Thats when the Romans generally did taxes and the census.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-16-2004 08:39:58 PM
quote:
Bloodsage still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:

Usurpation. Now THAT's a 63 dollar word!

That's why I've always wondered why some Christians pitch a fit about Christmas being commercialized and about gift giving and all that jazz. IIRC, the holiday which the Church usurped centered on gift giving as a means of celebration. And similarly, isn't Easter a...a usurpation of the pagan holiday for the vernal equinox, or even the Roman new year(they celebrated the new year at the start of spring for some time, although I don't know if they did towards the end of their Empire)?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-16-2004 08:42:37 PM
I hope they don't steal our most holiest of days: Annoy Bloodsage Day.

We'd have no choice but to convert

bob12121212
Pancake
posted 01-19-2004 10:05:18 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Robocop:
Christ died in 30 A.D.?

Christ started his ministy in 30 and died in 33. April 4th after sundown is the exact day of the Jewish Calander that he died this year. It changes each year.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: