EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Bookstore Shenanigans~
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-13-2004 03:25:15 PM
So, I'm looking online at my school bookstore, to see what books I need to buy.

One class needs... 4 books, another needs... 3?

Oh, and what's this? I need 2 109.95 dollar hard drives and racks? Why? AGHASAS...

So... I look online.

The 109.95 dollar hard drive? A 40 gig HD from Western Digital. a FIFTY FOUR DOLLAR 40 gig HD from Western Digital. I mean.. I've heard of markup, but this is ridiculous!

After I checked to make sure it wasn't worth the 109 dollars (You can buy books off the website, and it just says 'Hard Drive', so for all I know, it could be the $106 160 gig WD drive off of newegg) and see that it's 40 gigs, I almost choke with the 'God how much are people getting ripped off' reflex. The lady is all like 'What?'

... When I told her that I could get one double the storage for half the price, she looked at me like I was making it up... then she looked as if she had bit into a lemon, and wanted to kick me out.

I didn't make a huge statement, or anything. She just wanted to know, so I told her - but if you can, always make sure to check online before buying your books from a college bookstore!

However, I need to buy this.. thing, that the HD fits into so that there's only a blue female pin slot in the back.. the rest of the HD is all encased in plastic... the site says it's a Rack, but when I try and look it up by that name, it's all... biiiiig computer racks.

What is it actually called?

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 01-13-2004 03:30:32 PM
kinda like when UC spends $400,000 on a design for a mother fucking logo, then raises tuition 15% over 2 years because they "Just can't seem to make ends meet"
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 03:44:34 PM
hehe, or when San Jose State gets like 16 million donated and they use it to put up big monuments to past administrators...

come on...

And our tuition went up something like 30%

Aviation students get ripped on books if they go to the bookstore to get them. I always go to the local airport shop because the books I need are around 20$ there. If you go to the school bookstore they're between $75 and $120. yep, a 400-600% markup

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Kermitov ]

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-13-2004 03:49:47 PM
My tuiton is still .. uhh.. 114/cred hour.

So my whole semester was... lessee... 1300, roughly.

I love my college. While tuition went up 6 bucks last semester, they keep going up in 20% enrollment every year - and they open a new building every semester or year!

Last year was the dental hygiene wing, this semester they opened the Timken building - brand new computer labs, classrooms, computers, office, and completely new building.

Next year is the Physical and Occupational therapy building, and the year after that (they've already broken ground) is the Fuel Cell Prototype Center.

My college kicks ASS.

www.starkstate.net

I just hate the bookstore.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 03:59:56 PM
yeah, that is pretty cool. At least you're seeing some benefit of raised tuition.

my tuition was about 1000 now it's about 1300 and it's harder than ever to get classes. Physics 2A which is like GE physics, nearly everyone takes it, only has ONE section. Every semester there's a 40 to 60 person waiting list for it.

Parking went from 80$ a semester up to 150$ a semester and not a single space has been added. If you have a class on campus during the day you'd better plan on getting there at least an hour ahead of time to find parking. It's gotten even worse now because the city has outlawed parking on the residential streets surrounding the school. I can't say I blame them but to have to wait an hour to find a spot is ridiculous. I failed a class because there wasn't enough time between it and my previous class, which is held at the airport, to find parking.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-13-2004 04:05:37 PM
All the money OUR schools are getting here in NC are going to fix all the fucking mold in the buildings.

*grumble*

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-13-2004 04:13:14 PM

This is where my butt is currently seated.

And this is where one of my classes is - floor to ceiling windows. Kinda cool, yet kinda creepy.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-13-2004 05:24:11 PM
why is the fire hydrant hooked up?
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul

can you please fix my title
posted 01-13-2004 05:46:05 PM
you get that becuse many people who have scholorships can only buy things at the book store.

they are rapeing people that are either unable or too poor to go elsewhere (or dumb)

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Razor
posted 01-13-2004 05:55:27 PM
Hmmm, that sounds like the usual mark up. Teacher I have right now for public speeking said "The book stor pissed me off for 3 reasons: They wouldn't carry the book I published; the book reprinted at this school, was always undercarried; and finally, they charge way too much for my book." The book is a $30 book retail, bookstore sold it for $80 ($50 for used). The teacher gave us the chapters we needed for free.

Now today I went to the bookstore to price the books for next semester, Good thing I did, it'll be $280 total for books that ONLY Grossmont carries because they were printed either at Grossmont or Cyumaca... Turns out each of the teachers have a book of their own.

I just feel spiffy, and I know your pain Gikk.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-13-2004 06:09:17 PM
diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-13-2004 07:40:49 PM
Campuses are horrible with money.. at least my campus was. It's not that they didn't have enough money; it's that they threw it away in stupid places and didn't put it where it belonged. I worked for ITS in college... basically the campus consolidated a lot of departments into one to save money.. so i had to do the work of dozens of people. With that job, I had the benefit of looking at how the campus really works. It was pretty horrible. The biggest problem is the departments fighting each other for funding and acting out of spite. People don't realize their funding comes from the same place.. it's all pathetic and brings down the school pretty hard.

As for the bookstore, companies love taking advantage of people’s ignorance or exploiting people in hard situations… and ones like that have less ethics than most.

ps:

You guys have a fire or someting?

quote:
From the book of Khyron, chapter 3, verse 16:
Gikk, you need one of these...?

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=17-121-151- 03.JPG/17-121-151-02.JPG/17-121-151-01.JPG/17-121-151-04.JPG

They put "cool" as a description in that? Weird.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-13-2004 07:47:01 PM
Mwa ha! Suffer, computer major dork, suffer!

I had to pay 216 for all my books. Including one that allows me to become a certified food handler (never you mind the fact that I already am. I said NEVER YOU MIND, ASS!)

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-13-2004 08:40:51 PM
quote:
King Parcelan's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Mwa ha! Suffer, computer major dork, suffer!

I had to pay 216 for all my books. Including one that allows me to become a certified food handler (never you mind the fact that I already am. I said NEVER YOU MIND, ASS!)

*Fires nerd beams at Parcelan's computer, forcing him to spend hours on tech support with people who don't speak english.*

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 01-14-2004 12:03:47 AM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Punky Brewster:

You guys have a fire or someting?

If you look at the grass, it looks like they're doing a bit of construction or landscaping. The firehose might be hooked up just to clean off the street.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 01-14-2004 03:32:31 AM
quote:
Kermitov had this to say about dark elf butts:
hehe, or when San Jose State

Oh hey that's my school.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-14-2004 04:42:34 AM
quote:
Ferret stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Oh hey that's my school.

Oh really? Still go there?

Jete D'Paintedtoes
Pint-sized Pursesnatcher
posted 01-14-2004 12:31:00 PM
totally....my school spent 20,000 so they could put cool multicolor flashing lights in the stairwell in thier new building.....but the stairwell is at the end of crackho alley.. so no one sees the lights except the people doing creepy things behind 7-11....

go figure.

Jete D'Paintedtoes
Randomly Occurring
the new site
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-14-2004 01:10:44 PM
That pic was taken while they wer still doing construction - it was used for hosing down the sidewalks and streets.

I'm gonna maybe take my mom's digital cam one of these days - it truly kicks butt.

And no, Khy. The one I need I canonly get at the bookstore, I think - the back port is blue, female, and takes pins, it looks like. I'm gonna have to take another look tommorrow.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 01-14-2004 02:12:31 PM
quote:
Kermitov impressed everyone with:
Oh really? Still go there?

Yup, just started my first year. Still getting accustomed to avoiding the chicken at the DC, though.

Nina
posted 01-14-2004 02:14:43 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Tron:
The one I need I canonly get at the bookstore, I think - the back port is blue, female, and takes pins, it looks like. I'm gonna have to take another look tommorrow.

Sounds like you're getting a SCSI hard drive. It's well worth its price.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: