EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Stupid Customer of the Day
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 01-13-2004 01:37:09 AM
*phone rings*

Me: Officemax in Stonybrook, can I help you?

Him: Yes, I have a problem. I bought a Lexmark printer from you, and its missing a part.

Me: Which part is it?

Him: The black ink cartridge.

Me: What did the printer cost, about 40 bucks?

Him: Yes, $39.99

Me: Check the contents list

Him: What?

Me: The list on the side of the box that says whats in it

Him: It says it comes with a color cartridge

Me: Then the box is complete, its pretty common for printers in that price range to come with only one cartridge.

Him: But I need a black cartridge!

Me: We sell them.

Him: Oh, how much?

Me: About thirty bucks

Him: BUT THAT COSTS AS MUCH AS THE PRINTER!!

Me: Yes, thats probably why they don't put two ink cartridges in there.

Him: Can I come look through your boxes for one that has a black cartridge?

Me: Sir, none of them do.

Him: Well that stupid, and illegal, and I hate Officemax! Its a bad sales practice.

Me: Sir... you do realize thats the way they arrive from Lexmark?

Him: If I come in and bring the printer, will you give me a black cartridge?

Me: Certainly sir, for the low price of $32.99

*click*

Ladies and gentleman, customers that don't read the box.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-13-2004 01:42:54 AM
Should have told him that he didn't need a black cartrige. The printer would gladly make black for him.
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 01-13-2004 01:45:57 AM
That eats the color very quickly, though, which ends in him calling corporate to tell him I lied to him or something. I prefer not.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 01-13-2004 07:42:53 AM
Yea, people, my parents included, get really uptight when they have to get a new ink cartige for thier printer. I really don't understand why. It gets used up or dried out, it happens. Or in this case, s/he's a dumbass who doesn't know how to read and tries to blame other people for it.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-13-2004 07:47:34 AM
Printer companies are the scum of the the earth. Ink is way too overpriced. I don't blame the customer for being upset.

He problably will go back to the store and ask for a refund and return the printer and get one from someone else when he calms down. It's not your stores fault though, it's the printer company. Hopefully he'll realise that. Yeah, he should have read the side, but it's not an unfair assumption to make.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 01-13-2004 08:29:42 AM
For some reason, talk of stupid customers always reminds me of my favourite joke to play in my Basic TroubleShooting class.

Often, when my classmates have unexplainable errors, they come to me for help. I give it an honest try, of course. If I can't fix it, and the computer boots to the OS just fine, I ask them if they know about their "id.10t" file.

Usually, I just get this clueless kinda, "WTF?" look. That's when I explain that id.10t is a core file for their hard drive, and if corrupt or missing, can cause random and serious problems.

At one point, I even had a .exe on disk (programmed in VB5) that pretended to use the id.10t file, and would come up with the error message "ERROR: File 'id.10t' is missing or corrupt. Error Code 0xY0U4R34N1D10T".

It was good for a few laughs, then I lost my disk and the twenty seconds spent programming the .exe.

Legonaire
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 08:49:28 AM
quote:
So quoth diadem:
Printer companies are the scum of the the earth. Ink is way too overpriced. I don't blame the customer for being upset.

I can't find a link to the article, but I remember reading somewhere that with the price of ink if you tried to fill your cars gas tank with it, it would cost like $150,000 dollars.

If animals weren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat ??
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-13-2004 09:28:22 AM
The whole reason the printers are so cheap to begin with is because the company knows it can make back the money on cartridges. Apparently, many of them set up their printers to complain about low ink when 1/3 of the cartridge remains, and zero ink (at which point the printer won't print) when 1/5 of the cartridge remains, or at similar quantities to that effect. That's also why they build color cartridges as single units; if one color runs out, the consumer has to replace all three.

When competitor companies started producing generic ink cartridges for inkjet printers, Hewlett Packard took the process a step further. They set up their warranty to be void if you use a generic cartridge. But since some people don't care about the warranty (hey, they only paid 30 bucks for it), HP started building "smart chips" into their printers and ink cartridges, so that a generic cartridge wouldn't be recognized by the printer. The use of smart chips for this purpose was, however, deemed in violation of antitrust laws, so the smart chips were (to the best of my knowledge) not installed in retail models.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 09:47:41 AM
This is why I would save the money and invest in a laser printer. Even though ours is black and white only, We really never print pictures up anyways, the toner carts last like 2-3 years and they are only about 70/80 bucks a pop.

And if you think that is bad, you should see the crap the customers at Sears pull.

can you please fix my title
posted 01-13-2004 11:32:32 AM
the hp ink cartiges also have the print head, when you replace the cartrige you are doing a bit more than replacing ink.

I love HP. people used to buy the canon's becuse they had the individual colors and were refillable, but they didnt have the same duty cycle as a hp

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: