EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EverCrest Fallacies
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-13-2004 01:32:08 AM
We're all aware of the usual literary fallacies, but what are some overused, pointless cliche-arguments that people use on EverCrest specifically? In the interests of a special project to be named later, post them here.

"I only post to prove I can incite a reaction out of you": The classic fallback of many who have gotten in over their heads. This argument is used to try and prove that one has some form of power over whom they are arguing with, using the pretense that by just making a flame, they can make their opponent furious.

"If you don't care, why do you keep replying?": Used to as a hasty counter when someone claims they don't particularly care about a subject. This is used to try and refute a claim of having no particular care for the subject at hand.

Add your own!

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 01-13-2004 01:36:13 AM
"I'm going to step out, but first...": Before launching into a truckload of flameage (or cheap substitute therefor). Often used by people trying to get the last word, or incite the other. When replied to, the user usually bemoans the "fact" that they were "trying to leave the thread."
Ryuujin
posted 01-13-2004 02:02:45 AM
"You're not even worth the effort.": Used by an arguer to hide the fact that he or she run out of flame material and/or to mask the fact the the arguer is leaving the thread post haste while at the same time making one futile flame attempt.
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 01-13-2004 02:04:27 AM
http://www.maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood

the first two mainly

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 02:04:35 AM
"My little brother stole my account and posted that!"...Explains itself.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Taeldian ]

Skaw
posted 01-13-2004 02:06:28 AM
"This isn't how I want to play, so I'm going to pack up my toys and go home": Thread locking just to avoid being shown that you're a complete dumbass.

"You're close-minded!": When someone pawns logic being handed to them off as someone else not accepting unreal situations as possible real ones.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Mod
Pancake
posted 01-13-2004 03:06:34 AM
Ignoring any points made and instead writing out half a page on your opponent's mom that doesn't actually say anything but sounds funny. Jokes are cool and all but substituting them for an argument is annoying.

Using slight flaws in your opponent's wording of something to twist his words into something that was clearly not the intent then arguing for two pages over it is a colossal waste of time as well.

(Too tired to phrase those as a cool bold quotes.)

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 01-13-2004 03:52:17 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Punky Brewster:
[QB"You're close-minded!": When someone pawns logic being handed to them off as someone else not accepting unreal situations as possible real ones.[/QB]

I'm sure you mean "Closed-minded", since "Close minded" is more like having a propensity for standing to close to people in line.

"If you can't do better then you have no right to criticize it." This is a good one, and makes particularly little sense. Along the same lines is an old, old favorite

"If you aren't one then you have no right to comment about being one." I ran into this one a lot during my necro whine days. People couldn't accept that I might have a point, but at the same time they couldn't invalidate my points, so this was the fallback. Weird how everyone was shocked and amazed that I quit whining after they gave necros massive upgrades.

"Even though he's an asshole and/or idiot, you have no right to flame him." also known as "The Smurfville Fallacy" or "The Somethor Fallacy" Luckily we didn't stop flaming him and he seems to have cleaned up his act as a result.

"If you just stop responding, the troll will go away." This is a double fallacy, first in that it isn't true: among other things, trolls like to see how much they can get away with. Ignoring them only tells them they can get away with more. If fighting the troll perpetuates him, ignoring the troll amplifies him. Second, it's 100% completely and totally impossible to get everyone to stop replying. Half the time the people using this fallacy don't stop replying.

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 01-13-2004 08:40:29 AM
"I like swords. Welcome to Corneria!": Often used in the past by people who really don't like swords to derail a flame thread.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-13-2004 07:47:25 PM
quote:
This one time, at Vorbis camp:
"I'm going to step out, but first...": Before launching into a truckload of flameage (or cheap substitute therefor). Often used by people trying to get the last word, or incite the other. When replied to, the user usually bemoans the "fact" that they were "trying to leave the thread."

THAT ONE'S FOR ME! Except I usually do stop replying/reading a thread after I say I'm going to.

But I do drop my big flame bomb before I leave.

I've said this before: In general, very few people here know when to STFU, myself included.

-Tok

Skaw
posted 01-13-2004 07:49:45 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
I'm sure you mean "Closed-minded", since "Close minded" is more like having a propensity for standing to close to people in line.

Yeah, didn't notice I missed that d. Way to be Closed-minded that people can't make typos

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 01-13-2004 10:07:14 PM
The flawed analogy fallacy.

My brain hurts. I lay down, now.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-13-2004 10:22:46 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on King Parcelan!

"If you don't care, why do you keep replying?": Used to as a hasty counter when someone claims they don't particularly care about a subject. This is used to try and refute a claim of having no particular care for the subject at hand.

Perfectly legit. There's nothing more annoying then someone who makes a dramatic "I dont care!" post only to chime in moments later with their 2 cents.

If you dont care, stay the hell out of the topic.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Reynar ]

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-14-2004 01:50:08 PM
Argumentum ad ignavum(appeal to lazyness) - After baiting someone into a debate, the lazy prick takes a casual look at the lengthy, well thought-out rebuttal and says something to the effect of, "I was going to write out a long reply to this but I'm tired. But here's a cookie for your effort!" While not necessarily a fallacy, since it's not really a means of constructing an argument, it is nevertheless the sign of an inexperienced/poor debater.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 01-14-2004 02:04:34 PM
Who Was That Masked Debater?
I just think it sounds funny.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 01-14-2004 02:22:46 PM
Pooping in sock drawer(appeal to feces) - After baiting someone into a debate, the insensitive boor takes a casual dump in your sock drawer. While not necessarily a fallacy, since it's not really a means of constructing an argument, it is nevertheless the sign of an unconstipated/poor debater.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-14-2004 02:29:58 PM
"I would reply to your long, and very well constructed rebutal, but I am just exhasted after boning your Mom up her ass last night, and find myself simply too tired. Sorry!": Because it's true.

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Black ]

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-14-2004 03:21:06 PM
quote:
Karnaj said this about your mom:
Argumentum ad ignavum(appeal to lazyness) - After baiting someone into a debate, the lazy prick takes a casual look at the lengthy, well thought-out rebuttal and says something to the effect of, "I was going to write out a long reply to this but I'm tired. But here's a cookie for your effort!" While not necessarily a fallacy, since it's not really a means of constructing an argument, it is nevertheless the sign of an inexperienced/poor debater.

That happens to me a lot

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-14-2004 04:56:05 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Cuba:
That happens to me a lot

Maybe you could create an alternate account with the same sigpic, only smaller. He could post after your essays in summation.

We'll call him "Deth Condensed".

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 01-14-2004 05:04:50 PM
quote:
King Parcelan had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Maybe you could create an alternate account with the same sigpic, only smaller. He could post after your essays in summation.

We can call him Err.

We smoke when shooting the bird.

can you please fix my title
posted 01-14-2004 11:06:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:

"Even though he's an asshole and/or idiot, you have no right to flame him." also known as "The Smurfville Fallacy" or "The Somethor Fallacy" Luckily we didn't stop flaming him and he seems to have cleaned up his act as a result.

Nope your flameing didnt make me clean up my act. Actualy wither you or anyone else belives the following: Most of my mistakes were and still are from a certian lack of social grace and being admitly dense and slow to catch on.

Basicly I have been here long enough so that through a combination of my learning a bit of the ropes and the rest of you getting used to me, Things have gotten better.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
.com
Pancake
posted 01-15-2004 12:13:59 AM
Im a n00b:No, seriously, I am.

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Agent Shadow ]

What did five fingers say to the face? SLAP!!!!!

Im Rick James, bitch!!!!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-15-2004 04:46:10 PM
quote:
King Parcelan's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

I will call him...Mini-Me.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: