EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Ugh...question here
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-03-2004 12:16:02 PM
Nikki posted this in her online journal, and I had never heard these sentiments...and frankly, it bothers me, is there ANYTHING I can do?

--

Well, it is 2004 now. Years never really feel different to me until things start to happen. I have not been up to much lately. Ian got the urge to play Dark Cloud 2, so now we both spend a good part of our time playing that. Something kept on bothering me last night. Sometimes when I play games and there is a really cool female character, I just wish I could be as cool as that character. Before I met Ian-chan I would have said that guys do not have as many emotions as girls, but really they only get different emotions towards different things. So I wonder if it is just me, or if I am getting some girly emotion. I do not know very many girl gamers. I do remember getting Nikol into Soul Reaver, she did not play too much because when she got into a fight she could not watch Raziel get hurt. I can see a lot of people shaking their heads at that, but Nikol and I also cried when Raziel died in Defiance, so those of you who are shaking your heads can shove it up your ass.

So maybe girls do have different emotions towards video games then guys to. Maybe Nikol and I are just weirdos. And it is not like you can go around asking girls if they play games, because there are some girls who play games, but they are the really super main stream games that they got from their boy friends, or games not worth playing that are based off of t.v. shows.

It is very rare to find a girl gamer who is not a geek. Despite what some people tell me, I am not happy with my self image. Maybe that is why I feel stood up by girl characters. Is it not every guy gamer's dream to date a hot chick who plays good games? I'm not going to lie, I do not think I am hot, and I only think I am pretty sometimes. So I guess it is hard to look at female characters and not look up to them, and want to be like them. Maybe it is not as bad of a feeling as I thought.

The character that is doing this to be is Monica. She has red-pink hair (kinda a light magenta) that goes down to her feet, and is really silky. She also has a really cute looking face and decent sized breasts. She has an awsome attitude, friendly and gets things done. She is awsome at swords, and seeing her with Toan's swords makes me like her even more.

I am never going to be happy with my martial arts skills, I guess it is my way of not getting a big head about it. So I also wish that I could swing a sword around like she does.

But I am still me, and I like being me, I like my life. There is just a few points that I wish I could work on and Monica seemed to smack them right in the center. I still like to play as her though, I just have to learn to look up to her and not degrade myself.

Well, I should go. Everyone is still in a sort of good attitude today, and I don't want to miss out. I also need to wake up Ian-chan sometime soon. ^.^

---

What can I do about her self-esteem? It makes me so sad to hear all this.

[ 01-03-2004: Message edited by: Drysart ]

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 01-03-2004 12:22:49 PM
Give her some of your hot and heavy loving.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-03-2004 12:29:00 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Cookies & Cream!!
Give her some of your hot and heavy loving.

bow chika bow wow

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 01-03-2004 12:33:29 PM
I kinda like how she calls you "Ian-chan". Teehee.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-03-2004 12:34:41 PM
Ack! OP, change that if you can, or get a mod to change it. Some people haven't played Defiance and they wouldn't like having that spoiled.

I warned Deth against looking in here, but you might get others.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-03-2004 12:36:00 PM
You know she's probably not gonna like you posting this, right?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
OtakuPenguin
posted 01-03-2004 12:37:58 PM
quote:
El Imán Grande! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
You know she's probably not gonna like you posting this, right?

Nope, she doesn't mind, she was reading over my shoulder as I typed.

Oh, sorry about the Defiance thing

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-03-2004 12:39:02 PM
The only thing to do is play Soul Calibur 2 with her, making sure she plays as Sophitia or Seung Mina.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-03-2004 12:39:18 PM
It sounds like she's comparing herself to an unrealistic ideal. She knows this, but that doesn't allways help.

Best thing to do is just be there, and be supportive.

As for the girl (video) gamers, I know one personally. I think there's more out there than people realize.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-03-2004 12:44:08 PM
What's wrong with being a girl gamer and being a geek? Too many people think geek is something to revile and scoff at. If she's a geek, she should revel in being a geek, not be ashamed of it.

But the thing I wonder most is this. If you want to help her, why are you here asking about this on a message board to with her reading over your shoulder, rather than turning around and talking to her about this?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-03-2004 12:49:41 PM
If she's ever feeling blue just help yourself to a double-handfull of her sweet caboose. That should cheer her up.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-03-2004 12:51:00 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
What's wrong with being a girl gamer and being a geek? Too many people think geek is something to revile and scoff at. If she's a geek, she should revel in being a geek, not be ashamed of it.

But the thing I wonder most is this. If you want to help her, why are you here asking about this on a message board to with her reading over your shoulder, rather than turning around and talking to her about this?

Sometimes us guys (especially me) are better at putting our feelings into words with keyboards rather than our mouths.

At least for me it's that way sometimes.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-03-2004 12:52:56 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:
What's wrong with being a girl gamer and being a geek?

Who said there's anything wrong with it? Without them most of our male gamer geeks would would forever wander the edge of the gene pool in their water wings and yellow duckie life preservers.

Cass
Pancake
posted 01-03-2004 12:55:17 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Punky Brewster:
As for the girl (video) gamers, I know one personally. I think there's more out there than people realize.

(waves her arms)

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-03-2004 12:58:14 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Cass wrote:
(waves her arms)

*cuts Cass's arms off*

Use your words, dammit!

OtakuPenguin
posted 01-03-2004 01:00:11 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought about the meaning of life:

I have, and I do talk to her about it. But I've come up short...all she says is what she's unhappy about and how there's not a lot I can do to help her self-image because she KNOWS I find her so amazingly attractive and awesome at everything.

And she knows some of the male's reactions here about her looks, so I have NO idea why she thinks she's unnatractive or whathaveyou. I honestly just don't get it.

Mod
Pancake
posted 01-03-2004 01:05:10 PM
You can't feed someone self esteem really, with time one comes to terms with their strengths and faults more and more, not much you can do about that outside of things that are part of a relationship anyway.

As for girl gamers, dating someone that is into such a predominantly male hobby would be my worst nightmare and probably end with an episode of cops (to steal a page from Parcelan's book), however there are massive amounts of people who wouldn't like anything better than a girl they can share their hobby with so that isn't really anything to feel down about.

About wanting to be game characters, that's not a big deal imo, those characters are made for people to want to identify with them and do things as them they couldn't in the real world. Hell I'd love to be the son of a god, a ninja, the ruler of a huge empire, a wizard, a Jedi, Mr. Spock, a space fighter pilot or most of the characters I've played in games, but I doubt that's really a sign of low esteem.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-03-2004 01:42:25 PM
Just a thought. . .but I recommend she find some real-life role models. Wanting to be like a videogame character at her age is just, well, scary.

No need to grow up overnight, but it's probably time to start nurturing real ambitions about real things to accomplish in the real world. It's infinitely better to be successful IRL and use gaming as entertainment and fantasy escape, than to be so enamored of fantasy RL suffers, beginning the cycle where fantasy detracts from important things, which in turn strengthens the need for fantasy in a destructive downward spiral.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-03-2004 01:51:20 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
It's infinitely better to be successful IRL and use gaming as entertainment and fantasy escape, than to be so enamored of fantasy RL suffers, beginning the cycle where fantasy detracts from important things, which in turn strengthens the need for fantasy in a destructive downward spiral.

*imagines some poor bastard shivering in an alleyway, clutching some game dice and mumbling about his level-whatever elf*

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-03-2004 03:59:40 PM
Yo, she just lost both of her natural parents. She's gonna go through some changes, see?

Stick with her, make her feel alright. That's what you're supposed to do. She'll find her own way in time.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: