EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Need RAID help
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-01-2004 04:58:08 PM
I've got a promise controller for raid 5... set it up with three drives, went into the controller's bios, set up the array. I go into windows, use the array management untility and create a new array. Windows will not detect the array at all, though. No matter what I do. If I go into drive management (winxp), and click rescan disks the computer totally restarts.

I've memtested the dimm in the controller and it passed completely...

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 01-02-2004 01:37:31 AM
If I recall, you need to set RAID's up with windows XP while installing XP, one of the first things it says is if you have RAID drives entera bla bla bal now.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 01-02-2004 01:40:29 AM
quote:
Sashu stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
If I recall, you need to set RAID's up with windows XP while installing XP, one of the first things it says is if you have RAID drives entera bla bla bal now.

that's only if you want to install onto the array. If you're only using it for data storage or programs (not for windows itself) then you can install it later.

I'd suggest trying both the drivers that came with the hardware, and seeing if you can find updated ones (try both). Also look into a BIOS update for your controller. Update windows.

Then if that fails, re-initialize the array, try again. If that fails, do a repair install from the XP disc.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-02-2004 01:43:38 AM
Did you get the Good controller or the Gimp controller from Promise?

One just barely does RAID in honesty and you have to initialize the array under windows. The other one is pretty good, but you have to let the card initialize the array (takes several hours) before windows can handle accessing it.

Think of Array Initialization as the first format of a hard drive. You have to have it formatted before you can use it. In this case it does the striping/redundancy taggung first, then you can format the whole array NTFS....

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-02-2004 01:43:41 AM
I've initialized the arrays in every single way imaginable. If I use the promise array management in windows, it locks if I have an array defined in the fasttrack bios. Of course, the fasttrack arrays do no show in windows.

I uninstalled the win xp drivers and reinstalled them. The ones that shipped were actually the same that are on the promise website.

The only thing left to do is flash the BIOS with the new drivers.

Snugglits
posted 01-02-2004 01:45:26 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator thought about the meaning of life:
Did you get the Good controller or the Gimp controller from Promise?

One just barely does RAID in honesty and you have to initialize the array under windows. The other one is pretty good, but you have to let the card initialize the array (takes several hours) before windows can handle accessing it.

Think of Array Initialization as the first format of a hard drive. You have to have it formatted before you can use it. In this case it does the striping/redundancy taggung first, then you can format the whole array NTFS....

I got the S150 SX4. Which is good? Which is gimp?

I select the RAID 5 initialization in PAM, and it sits at 0% forever. I left it on overnight and it locked windows.

Snugglits
posted 01-03-2004 08:16:15 PM
I don't believe this but... I think I fixed it with an old pos 64MB single-sided pc100 dimm that came out of a gateway 366. The double-sided must've caused it to fuck up because it was reading a 128mb dimm as 256mb.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: