EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fencing
Demos
Pancake
posted 12-28-2003 01:18:57 AM
Ok, so I'm looking to get into fencing. First off, which kinds do anyone have experience with? Foil, Epee, Saber, etc. Also, what kind of grips have you tried, and like? Dislike?

I'm thinking of starting with Saber, just for the versatility of playing style...that and mebbe Epee.

Any info you guys have is greatly appreciated.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 12-28-2003 01:24:16 AM
Buy a gun.

nuyuck nuyuck nuyuck

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-28-2003 01:31:03 AM
If you ever want to be good, you need to start with foil on a french grip. The other weapons and grips will pull you into habits that seem like a good idea but really arn't while foil indoctrines you into good form.

Epee requires more blade control then you are going to have when you first start up. Saber is going to take more footwork then you can even imagine currently. Saber is also a bad idea because it is mostly incompatible with the other weapons and you would be screwed up for life after starting on it.

Traditionally you woulnd't even touch a blade for two years and just learn footwork, but that isn't really an option and so just pick up foil, find yourself a coach and do what he tells you. That is your best bet to be able to do anything in the long run. 'Sage has more experiance with fencing then I do so he may give you a different suggestion, but from what I have seen it is best to hold back in taking the giant steps for as long as possible.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-28-2003 01:38:23 AM
Go see if your local community collage teaches it, but yea, French grip, with foil is the best way to start off. Don't even think to do sabre for a long time.
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-28-2003 01:41:26 AM
Ask Bloodsage and/or Lashanna. As I recall, they both seemed into the whole fencing scene the last time it came up in conversation.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 12-28-2003 03:06:41 AM
I was trained with a lightsaber by Obi Wan...McGuire.
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 12-28-2003 03:20:40 AM
I agree about starting with foil using french grip. It's great for starting out. After a little while, once you learn a little more though, try out epee and saber and decide which one you prefer and go for it. As for grips... stay with french for a while, don't try the other grips out until you've gotten a bit better.. or better yet, ask your coach for his opinion on grips, since he's the one you'll be training with.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-28-2003 05:41:32 AM
Naimah nailed it.

Plan to fence foil for at least a couple of years, and stick to a French grip for at least the first year. Also, find a reputale coach who teaches the French style rather than the German. IMNSHO, the German style is too rigid to teach beginners, and limits their future growth.

Once you're quite good at foil, you'll also know which of the weapons best suits your personal style and capability.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-28-2003 08:48:22 AM
quote:
Demos impressed everyone with:
Ok, so I'm looking to get into fencing. First off, which kinds do anyone have experience with? Foil, Epee, Saber, etc. Also, what kind of grips have you tried, and like? Dislike?

I'm thinking of starting with Saber, just for the versatility of playing style...that and mebbe Epee.

Any info you guys have is greatly appreciated.

They are leaving out the most important part - it's fun. One of my co-workers recently took up fencing. She appears to like it a lot. So it appears to be an entertaining hobby.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-28-2003 09:02:02 AM
Fencings cool.

I started myself, foil french grip, this last college quarter.

How true is it that portland was the premier area to learn fencing until a bunch of big schools hired all the local retired teachers?

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-28-2003 10:51:29 AM
Foil with french grip. Easily the way to go.

If you were to start with saber, one would hope you desperately love nasty welts, because you'll look like you've been flogged.

Demos
Pancake
posted 12-28-2003 11:33:56 AM
quote:
This one time, at Pvednes camp:
Foil with french grip. Easily the way to go.

If you were to start with saber, one would hope you desperately love nasty welts, because you'll look like you've been flogged.

Hehe...nothing new. Played paintball for a few years.

Thanks guys for the info. Now I just have to find a nearby place...there's a club, but I'm not sure if anyone does lessons.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-28-2003 12:26:01 PM
Well...
Shit, I got beaten to the punch.

Thanks a lot, Naimah, Bloodsage.
Now you've left nothing for me to say in this thread.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-28-2003 12:32:08 PM

You could talk about the differences in the weapons. . .we sort of left that for later.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-28-2003 05:53:02 PM
I find this comical, due to the fact that demos knows i used to fence. French style, french grip foil. I prefer the epee over it, but hey, you need to learn the basics.

I never touched the saber, its evil.

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 12-28-2003 05:54:00 PM
quote:
Lashanna wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

Now you've left nothing for me to say in this thread.

"Teehee, swords are cool!"?

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited by: Lenlalron Flameblaster ]

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 12-28-2003 06:30:17 PM
Umm ditto..
But when i Fenced I started with Foil.. and progressed to Epee then stayed in Saber.
I was pretty damn good
but it is alot of fun
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 12-28-2003 07:23:00 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Elvish Crack Piper:
Fencings cool.

I started myself, foil french grip, this last college quarter.

How true is it that portland was the premier area to learn fencing until a bunch of big schools hired all the local retired teachers?

I took fencing in portland(I live here), I haven't taken it anywhere else so I can't really compare, but the coaches were definetly good. As far as I know, the people I took classes from haven't been hired by any schools. =/

BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 12-29-2003 01:05:35 AM
I only know one person who fences, and that would be the one from Colorado.

From what she tells me, it's a rush and a lot of fun.

I really don't contribute anything to the thread, but oh well.

Ace in the Spade
Pancake
posted 12-29-2003 06:54:03 AM
From the limited exp I've had with fencing. This is what I've seen/learned:

Foil is used to teach beginners, then if they want to after a year or two they go onto epee, and then after that saber. Foil is fairly easy to learn. Most of the difficulty in fencing is getting your footwork to work. Foil is also good because to score a point, your target area is much more limited as opposed to the other two types. This I think helps you to find control over the blade while fencing.

As far as what its like, think doing martial arts in a sauna. Basically the mask and the bodywear heats you up rather quickly and due to all of the explosive energy being used you can tire out really fast. Its a rush and its great fun.

Not sure what type of area you're in but as was said the most likely places that will teach fencing are colleges, sports centers, or specialty places that might have a instructor.

As an aside, I think that Kendo is really cool. I've seen some stuff on it and it all very much impressed me. That and the gear looks quite spiffy, but it also looks a bit more hurty than fencing. Also the only downside that I see with foil is that its a linear style of combat. Not sure on Epee and Saber, but I think Kendo is quite cooler and if I could ever find a place that teaches I'd sign up. Anyways *flicks two coppers*

(Oh yea, if you're interested in olde timey texts about swords etc, then look up Giacomo Di Grasse's "True Art of Defense" fun read and somewhat practical as far as fencing is concerned).

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-29-2003 08:49:08 AM
quote:
Lee Taxx0r had this to say about John Romero:
I took fencing in portland(I live here), I haven't taken it anywhere else so I can't really compare, but the coaches were definetly good. As far as I know, the people I took classes from haven't been hired by any schools. =/

My coach in kelso said that the world champs kept cominh from the portland area for awhile so Notre Dame and some others hired all the best ones up.

This may have been as many as 10+ years ago though, the guy is kinda old.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: