EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The War Of The Ring
Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 12-26-2003 02:00:16 AM
We watched Return of the King again today. Great movie ^.^ But during the boring Sam and Frodo bits, I got to thinking, this world would make a great RTS.

Ian told me that they made one called 'The War Of The Ring' and I thought, "This might be pretty darn cool!"

Well, I would like to know if it is or not. Have any of you played it? I am already a bit dissapointed because when I envisioned a Lord of the Rings RTS I thought of every country as a different side (Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, etc) and thought it would be neat as kind of a 'Rise of Nations' or 'Age of Empires' clone or something.

But from the screenshots I have seen, I notice that it is basically Warcraft 3 with Lord of the Rings units, horrible looking if I may say.

I wish it could have been done like 'Rise of Nations' I absolutely love the single player in that game, the world map and Risk type gameplay, is what a Lord of the Rings RTS needs. It could even stand to be a bit deeper, maybe make the map a whole lot bigger, add in a bunch of events, key units, city battles, the whole works.

Just some thoughts. Hope you guys all had a great Christmas! ^.^

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-26-2003 02:06:53 AM
quote:
Archer-Penguin thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

basically Warcraft 3 with Lord of the Rings units, horrible looking if I may say.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Skaw
posted 12-26-2003 02:44:21 AM
I played the Demo.

It's alright. It should be out though.

Lashanna
noob
posted 12-26-2003 02:50:03 AM
I have it
It's not so bad, it has some things WC3 is missing, but then, WC3 has some things WotR is missing.

There's another RTS based on LotR coming called like... Battle For Middle Earth or something (I don't remember) but it has like... AMAZING graphics, like "omg is that orc's wart oozing pus? eww" good graphics.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-26-2003 02:50:14 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Pirotess:
I played the Demo.

It's alright. It should be out though.

It's been out for the last month or so. I think I've sold like one copy.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Error
Pancake
posted 12-26-2003 03:41:05 PM
Alaan
posted 12-26-2003 03:57:16 PM
Wow. If they pull that game off it will be unbelievably awesome.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-26-2003 04:00:35 PM
I have Return of the King for the game cube. It had so much potential, but I don't like how they made the levels I played so far.

quote:
Alaan probably says this to all the girls:
Wow. If they pull that game off it will be unbelievably awesome.

Yeah... that looks a lot like sacrifice.. and sacrifice was amazing

and this shot of it looks like Total War. It would be amazing if they could combine elements from both games, but I'm not putting my hopes up.

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-26-2003 07:08:27 PM
quote:
So quoth diadem:
Yeah... that looks a lot like sacrifice.. and sacrifice was amazing

and this shot of it looks like Total War. It would be amazing if they could combine elements from both games, but I'm not putting my hopes up.

It's being done by the team that used to be Westwood Studios (BfME), so I imagine it would play more like C&C than it would anything else.

Anywho, for what it's worth, here's what PC Gamer said about War of the Ring:

quote:
Highs: Strong story; challenging AI; hero units are cool; solid multiplayer options
Lows: Derivative gameplay; limited options mean it may not have enough "meat" for vets
Bottom Line: The Middle-Earth license spawns an engaging, if not world-altering, RTS Game
Total Score: 78%

Liquid Entertainment has also worked on Battle Realms, which was an excellent RTS.

Something to keep in mind - Battle for Middle Earth is based on the LOTR movies, not the Middle Earth books & lore written by Tolkein. This may not matter to you, but it does to me.

-Tok

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-26-2003 11:09:02 PM
quote:
Delyl Caledor said this about your mom:
I'd wait for this one.

I WANT!!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: