EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Second Law of Therodynamics Disproven
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-21-2003 02:26:40 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2135779.stm

Ok... So... I don't understand. They are talking about time reversing itself, and ... does this have any impact on actual physics classes?

*is boggled*

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-21-2003 02:32:35 AM
quote:
Gikk was naked while typing this:
does this have any impact on actual physics classes?

Nope.

To some extent, this is allready known and understood. It's nothing new.

When this becomes important, you're way beyond normal physics classes.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-21-2003 02:33:48 AM
When they say time reversable they arn't saying that time is reversing itself. I believe they mena that it is independant of time. So the state can change back to what it was at an earlier time. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics might be violated but somehow I doubt that time only going in one direction will ever be.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 12-21-2003 02:34:00 AM
By time going backwards they mean from an equation point of view. The amount of energy lost from small things (into heat or other unusable forms) can decrease instead of increasing. For a hot frying pan taken off the stove this would mean it could start to cool off, then heat back up, then cool back down and go back and forth for a while instead of steadily cooling down.

This article only applies to very, very small things where the size of the items is near the size of its atoms.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 12-21-2003 02:35:36 AM
meh, Palador said it before me... never mind.

[ 12-21-2003: Message edited by: Tareshinal ]

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 12-21-2003 03:28:37 AM
So...they heated the bead, moved the container, and then what happened? The article just says that the entropy decreased.
Ace in the Spade
Pancake
posted 12-21-2003 05:55:38 AM
Actually I do believe some of you guys are a bit off on the time thing. On the quantum scale (super tiny) things are not always irreversible process like on the macroscopic end of thing (everyday life and bigger stuff) To atoms and subatomic particles things look the same to them going forward and backwards in time. Its like if you taped yourself going to the store and coming back and then watched it forward and backwards. If you were in a quantum system and an atom you'd think either way the tape being played was you going then returning. Thats what they mean by reversible time. Processes that are not irreversible. In other words atoms have no memory per se time doen't really mean anything to them at that small a scale.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-21-2003 08:14:06 AM
quote:
Gikk startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2135779.stm

Ok... So... I don't understand. They are talking about time reversing itself, and ... does this have any impact on actual physics classes?

*is boggled*

I don't think we should re-write physics quite yet. It's an interesting finding, but needs lots of scrutiny before we trash everything we know about the universe.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-21-2003 08:22:42 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:
I don't think we should re-write physics quite yet. It's an interesting finding, but needs lots of scrutiny before we trash everything we know about the universe.

I agree.

Speculation on my part, of course, but I get the feeling it's going to be a similar deal to newtonian vs. relativistic motion, as in the situations in which this phenomena is observable, a more accurate formula is to apply, but otherwise, in "day to day stuff," the second law as we know it to be applied for simplicity's sake.

Razor
posted 12-21-2003 07:37:45 PM
Second Law, will be adjusted in the theoretical sense, in time...

[rant]
Time though being a perception of the human mind. we feel it exsists but it's like trying to define a point in space, no matter how hard we try to define somethign, there is always something smaller, there may not be a name for it, but it's there. The range of the universe is 10^‡ to 10^-‡ in size. Time itself, please define it first, then we'll talk about how things can go foreward or reverse. *this is my major problem with theoretical physics, we're leaving the major definitions of key words out of it...*
[/rant]

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: