EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Winamp 5 now out.
Nina
posted 12-17-2003 09:10:05 PM
Supposedly good. Feel free to try it out.

Ahay.

Alaan
posted 12-17-2003 09:15:45 PM
I've had it running for a day or so now. No troubles. Done some WA2 and WA3 skins w/o issue.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 12-17-2003 09:32:42 PM
Foobar 2000.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-17-2003 09:40:38 PM
It's Windows Media Player Now. Functionally speaking, AND visually.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Nina
posted 12-17-2003 09:53:46 PM
Excuse me? How is this anything like Windows Media player?

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:09:50 PM
Windows Media Player

Shot1:

Shot2:

I do not have WinXP/2000 So cannot do the Mem Manager view, but WinAmp has always and even in this version, performs worse for me. Especially with my collection size.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 12-17-2003 10:11:15 PM
... The collection size affects performance?
The World is Yours
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:11:33 PM
And for the record, since you want an inobtrusive minibar. The WMP one is smaller than the one you have in your Image.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:13:39 PM
quote:
Canadian Mountee spewed forth this undeniable truth:
... The collection size affects performance?

Yes

WinAmp will stall out, or all together lockup going through my collection if I do a scan through, or update dead links (Which it TOTALLY sucks at doing anyway)

WMP does a scan through, and can clean up dead links in a matter of seconds, with the click of a button.

Loading playlists, if you have larger playlists takes longer in WinAmp that WMP. And you have to wait for it to update the display (Read the names, update thier times, etc) everytime you load it. WMP keeps that info all clean and organized, and never has a lag out loading playlists.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Alaan
posted 12-17-2003 10:18:00 PM
quote:
Verily, Faelynn LeAndris doth proclaim:
Yes

WinAmp will stall out, or all together lockup going through my collection if I do a scan through, or update dead links (Which it TOTALLY sucks at doing anyway)

WMP does a scan through, and can clean up dead links in a matter of seconds, with the click of a button.

Loading playlists, if you have larger playlists takes longer in WinAmp that WMP. And you have to wait for it to update the display (Read the names, update thier times, etc) everytime you load it. WMP keeps that info all clean and organized, and never has a lag out loading playlists.

I've gotten much the opposite. I have a ~80 hour playlist that WMP continually tries to tell me is 10 hours or something else rediculously short. And When Winamp hits a dead file for me it just skips over.

[Invalid image tag]

Both were playing music at the time with the same play list open.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:22:26 PM
quote:
Alaan probably says this to all the girls:
I've gotten much the opposite. I have a ~80 hour playlist that WMP continually tries to tell me is 10 hours or something else rediculously short. And When Winamp hits a dead file for me it just skips over.

[Invalid image tag]

Both were playing music at the time with the same play list open.

WinAmp just skips over em, which sucks, and just leaves the dead link there. WMP skips the file, turns the name red as a dead link, then (If you have the option set) searches for the file while continuing on it's normal path. A few seconds and that link is either restored, or removed. WinAmp does nothing.

And I think thier usage is comparable enough NOT to be an issue.

As far as functionality and looks to begin with. I was talking the new look of WinAmp, and the functional layout and such, looks remarkably WMP-Like.

Which version of WinAmp are you running there anyway?

[ 12-17-2003: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
Alaan
posted 12-17-2003 10:30:16 PM
I'm sticking with Winamp either way. I'm so used to using it and I can do everything I want without going to any menus pretty much. And the fact I can just dump it into my system tray to free up some space. AND NO STUPID VISUALIZATIONS POPPING UP WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! Didn't even bother installing them this time.

Edit: Running WA5. Just installed yesterday. The WMP is version 9 DLed from MS less than a month ago.

[ 12-17-2003: Message edited by: Alaan ]

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:33:31 PM
quote:
Alaan was naked while typing this:
I'm sticking with Winamp either way. I'm so used to using it and I can do everything I want without going to any menus pretty much. And the fact I can just dump it into my system tray to free up some space. AND NO STUPID VISUALIZATIONS POPPING UP WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! Didn't even bother installing them this time.

Visualizations suck.

And yeah, there is no reason for anyone to really switch from what they are comfortable with. Personally, I didn't even get into the whole MP3 when the big rush was around and WinAmp was all there was. I got into more after WMP evolved, and it had more functionality/options and convienience. So chose it over WinAmp. *shrugs*

WinAmp still looks and acts almost exactly like WMP now though, which was my point.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 12-17-2003 10:34:18 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Faelynn LeAndris said:
Visualizations suck.

And yeah, there is no reason for anyone to really switch from what they are comfortable with. Personally, I didn't even get into the whole MP3 when the big rush was around and WinAmp was all there was. I got into more after WMP evolved, and it had more functionality/options and convienience. So chose it over WinAmp. *shrugs*

WinAmp still looks and acts almost exactly like WMP now though, which was my point.

Except they have a decent independent skinning community.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-17-2003 10:36:40 PM
i've got a fucking gig of ram.
who gives a shit?
Alaan
posted 12-17-2003 10:36:50 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Tatsukaze was all like:

I was going to comment on that except I've never looked for WMP skins. Didn't know if there was many out there.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:41:36 PM
quote:
Tatsukaze's account was hax0red to write:

I very rarely bother with skins at all, my WMP sits minimized or in the systemtray nearly all the time anyway, since I can control its functions through my keyboard (Even in games or whatever else I am doing, I love my Keyboard! Note: That is a Keyboard feature, I can control WinAmp the same way) so I dont really care all that much about skins.

My T3 Skin kicks ass.

The MiniBar Skin is the Image in my other post.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Alaan
posted 12-17-2003 10:44:13 PM
Got a Logitech with all the media controls and other buttons recently myself. Nice to have. Especially since I'm finally remembering all the other buttons and what they do. Such as the Web Cam button that opens FFXI.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:45:55 PM
quote:
Alaan's fortune cookie read:
Got a Logitech with all the media controls and other buttons recently myself. Nice to have. Especially since I'm finally remembering all the other buttons and what they do. Such as the Web Cam button that opens FFXI.

They kick so much ass don't they? I have more buttons than I know what to do with!

My LAUNCHCast Station
Nina
posted 12-17-2003 10:47:08 PM
mines smaller lol

And in all seriousness, I'm up to a 40gb, 9000 file playlist which takes all of... 1 second to save and load. Where's the "slowness" in that?

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:56:25 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Nina said this:
mines smaller lol

And in all seriousness, I'm up to a 40gb, 9000 file playlist which takes all of... 1 second to save and load. Where's the "slowness" in that?

And in that 1 second, I can load the same size list into WMP, have it auto-categorized, correctly displayed (Not waiting for it to load the names instead of the filename, and time), and playing.

And before there was WinAmp 5, With WMP I never had to bother with open/loading at all to get a playlist. Every playlist I had ever made would be displayed in a small, category menu, on the left side of my WMP or in the Quickaccess Drop down Menu when WMP opened. Of which I could add too, remove, or edit on the fly with ease because of the layout/categorization of WMP's media Library (Im not even talking about having your MP3s categorized by folders and whatnot on your actual PC, this would have all of it done right at your fingertips, automatically with the ability to manually edit if you liked.)

And I can scale the minibar too, but I'm not gonna bother to make it illegible like that.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Canadian Mountee
posted 12-17-2003 10:57:25 PM
My play list autoloads and doesn't take a second to load.

wtfog

The World is Yours
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 10:59:51 PM
quote:
Canadian Mountee was listening to Cher while typing:
My play list autoloads and doesn't take a second to load.

wtfog

Talking about switching playlists. Whatever playlist you close WinAmp with, it opens with.

But personally, and like others, I have different Playlists for different moods/times, etc.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Canadian Mountee
posted 12-17-2003 11:01:14 PM
Yeah, and that's done instantly as well. I mean, I like both programs (I use WMP for movies, and Winamp for music), But I'm not really seeing this playlist lag you're talking about.
The World is Yours
Sean
posted 12-17-2003 11:04:43 PM
quote:
Canadian Mountee had this to say about Robocop:
Yeah, and that's done instantly as well. I mean, I like both programs (I use WMP for movies, and Winamp for music), But I'm not really seeing this playlist lag you're talking about.

He's on like a P3 444mhz with 128 RAM.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-17-2003 11:06:22 PM
quote:
Sean's account was hax0red to write:
He's on like a P3 444mhz with 128 RAM.

Athlon 800 with 256Ram.

Also not using WinXP. Of course it stands to reason performance would be even better if upgraded, so I'd still stand by my choices.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2003 02:53:28 AM
WMP is better, we believe you Fae

Now, Winamp 5 owns. I'm still using the beta though... I think I'll upgrade now.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2003 02:55:55 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Alaan wrote:
I was going to comment on that except I've never looked for WMP skins. Didn't know if there was many out there.

You probably have to hack a dll file to give it any decent skins. They did that with Windows XP. I like Microsoft, but they do some really stupid shit every so often...

edit: decent means not HUGELOL like Fae's T3 skin while still pretty

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-18-2003 03:23:45 AM
I just use iTunes as my player, I know it isn't the best but it makes sounds which is pretty much what I want.
Alaan
posted 12-18-2003 07:47:29 AM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about (_|_):
I just use iTunes as my player, I know it isn't the best but it makes sounds which is pretty much what I want.

IIRC that takes up more than either Winamp or WMP. Being as you have that whole second program not related to music going on at the same time pretty much. At least on Windows.

SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-18-2003 08:29:31 AM

I'll stick with winamp, it's nice when I'm running two windows of EQ

Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Alaan
posted 12-18-2003 10:13:26 AM
What are you running? Winamp 1? =p
Nina
posted 12-18-2003 12:07:23 PM
Eh, Winamp 5 uses 3-4mb on average for me when using old style skins. (I switched back, new skin was buggy as heck when always on top in 3d apps)

Hell, I've seen 1.5mb once. It just varies, and I don't care either way with 640mb of RAM =p

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-18-2003 12:19:33 PM
Everything loads instantly for me in Winamp. I don't see the point.
hey
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-18-2003 12:49:40 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kegwen said this:
You probably have to hack a dll file to give it any decent skins. They did that with Windows XP. I like Microsoft, but they do some really stupid shit every so often...

edit: decent means not HUGELOL like Fae's T3 skin while still pretty

Um, no. You can click on skins in the menu, and it takes you to thier Skins library, you find a skin, and there is an Update Skin button. It downloads, and autoupdates the skin. No editing, hacking, or modification required. Just like WinAmp. Also it gets stored in yout WMP Library, just like the skins do in WinAmp's drop down menu. Except in WMP it stores them in a Preview format, showing you what the skin looks/will look like, before you put it on. So you don't just have to go off filenames like you do in WinAmp, if you have a lot of skins.

And that T3 Skin is a smaller console than WinAmp in everything except the minibar and playlist. On the minibar it is taller, but more narrow, where as WinAmps is longer but shorte, and the playlist is wider but shorter. (Which is irrelevant on both, because you can resize the playlist window on bother players.)

I use both WMP and WinAmp for different things. WMP is my normal, personal player, but I still use WinAmp on occasion for the ShoutCAST.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-18-2003 12:55:41 PM
quote:
Blindy Claus thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
i've got a fucking gig of ram.
who gives a shit?

I'm with you. I'm gonna use whichever program i like better, unless it takes up hundreds of megs of ram.

As for me: I still see no reason to switch from winamp 2.81

Loads very fast, I've never had an issue with it. I don't need skins as its almost always minimized to my system tray.

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-18-2003 12:57:08 PM
Edit: For the record, I still don't really recomend the T3 Skin. Although it is smaller and badas it's also interactive and animated. So it's not simple like other WMP or WinAmp skins. I mean it will start playing songs instantly, but if you don't really wanna hear the song it starts with, it takes a second or 2 for the T3 Skin to finish all it's fancy stuff for you to change songs unless you have a Keyboard like mine.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2003 01:05:08 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:
Loads very fast, I've never had an issue with it. I don't need skins as its almost always minimized to my system tray.

I'd do that if I didn't change songs all the time (and I like to know what it changes to without waiting for the song to start up)

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-18-2003 03:47:31 PM
quote:
Doomie had this to say about Knight Rider:
Foobar 2000.

A-fucking-men. No stupid visuals. No dumbass skins. Just an audio player that works and works well. I keep everything minimized the the system tray, I don't care what it looks like as long is it plays music and doesn't eat up resources.

-Tok

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2003 04:21:00 PM
quote:
Toktuk had this to say about Pirotess:
A-fucking-men. No stupid visuals. No dumbass skins. Just an audio player that works and works well. I keep everything minimized the the system tray, I don't care what it looks like as long is it plays music and doesn't eat up resources.

-Tok

That's so boring

That's like disabling explorer.exe and running everything through task manager

edit: okay, not THAT bad...

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: