EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Random Quandry
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 12-17-2003 07:24:03 PM
If you had a sharp enough blade could you theoriticly cut ink off paperwithout causing any visible damage to the sheet of paper?

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 12-17-2003 07:25:01 PM
The blade would probably have to be nanometers in length, if not smaller.
Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Nina
posted 12-17-2003 07:35:53 PM
Ballpoint pen ink, perhaps, since it doesn't bleed into the paper. Any decent pen, it won't happen.
Peter
Pancake
posted 12-17-2003 07:36:11 PM
Incorrect, Ink absorbs into the Fibers of the paper, you couldn't cut it off. Now you technically could do so with Pencial lead.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 12-17-2003 07:37:30 PM
Nope.

Ink actually soaks into the paper, making it impossible to cut it off the paper without cutting out the portion of paper it's soaked into.

Now, pencil lead would be a different story, but you'd still probably have a little bit of graphite powder in the remaining paper. You'd also need a vorpal blade*, and at the moment those are impossible.

*Vorpal: A vorpal blade's edges are pounded to be exactly one atom thick, so the edge is transparent. A vorpal blade can cut through *anything*, as its blade can simply pass through the atoms of what it's cutting, and separate them.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-18-2003 01:28:18 AM
Wow...THAT is sharp
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-18-2003 01:54:47 AM
It'd also lose it's edge easy, I think.

Eh. As said, with ballpoint you probably could, pencil lead likely, but otherwise, prolly not. Paint, however, unless it's watercolor...

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Ace in the Spade
Pancake
posted 12-18-2003 02:02:33 AM
They have vorpal blades. I'm pretty sure that obsidian cleaves to a monomolecular edge. Not sure 100% but possibly...

Nm, you said one atom not molecule...

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: Ace in the Spade ]

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: