EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Unbearable Grossness of Being
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 12-17-2003 11:28:35 AM
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-17-2003 12:25:14 PM
quote:
Having a baby around makes it much harder to manage the voices in my head. I mean, before, they just told me to do horrible things to myself and my wife. But my wife knows Tae Kwon Do and could kick my ass, and I can’t do anything painful to myself because I’m a big pussy. So that was all right.

But now I spend all of my time having internal conversations like:

Me: “Oh, hell. Did I remember to put out the diapers so the service can pick them up?”
Inner voice: “Boil the baby.”

Or,

Me: “Phew. She’s finally asleep. I can get some work done.”
Inner voice: “Boil the baby.”

Or,

Me: “I’m hungry. I sure could use a ham sandwich.”
Inner voice: “Boil the .... wait. Did you say ham?”
Me: “Mmmmm. Sandwich.”
Inner voice: “Mmmmm. Sandwich.”
Me: “Better clean this plate.”
Inner voice: “Put the baby in the dishwasher.”

But the voice in my head didn’t get its way. I wasn’t able to fit the baby in the dishwasher rack.

Fortunately, my wife is understanding. She put Post-It notes on all of our large cooking vessels. Each says, in large, clear letters, “Don’t boil the baby.” It confused my parents when they came over, so, when they asked about it, I said “What? Are you saying it’s a good idea to boil the baby?” Then they changed the subject really quickly, so I think everything is going to work out OK.

[ 12-17-2003: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 12-17-2003 12:38:51 PM
:D
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-17-2003 01:09:18 PM
quote:

Speaking of random twisting of the facial muscles, Cordelia is smiling frequently now. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. She smiles when she sees daddy. She smiles when she's about to poo. She smiles when she's about to start screaming.

I feel I should be doing something to communicate to her that she should smile when she is happy. So, whenever she smiles, I lurch forward, rub her belly, and say in a loud, happy voice, "Is that a smile? Is THAT at SMIIIIILE? You're such a good girl! A GOOOOOOD GIIIIIRRRRLLLLL!"

I strongly suspect that this scares the shit out of her. She smiles a lot less now. I think I am training her to never smile. I'm learning the error of my ways, though. The next time she smiles, I'm going to put her down and run out of the room.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-17-2003 02:21:03 PM
*stamps the site with the Funnystamp of Approval*
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-17-2003 02:27:31 PM
This guy is great.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-17-2003 02:30:20 PM
Do this enough times, and she'll wind up a slack-jawed, burger-flipping, sorority-pledging, bottle-blonde troglodyte who can use the word "Booger" without irony. And then I will have to reabsorb her for her protein.

and referring to her brain as a "blank, gooey brainwad" just made me spit my soda all over the place..

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 12-17-2003 07:41:52 PM
quote:
How Evolution Fucks Up My Life

Our child spends several hours in the middle of the night screaming. Every night. I do not say this because it is in any way exceptional. It isn’t. I just mention it for purposes of background.

Now that I have a kid and talk to parents about it, I find that EVERYONE’S kid does this. Why didn’t anyone tell me? What was the big secret? And when I saw my friends’ kids, why were they so quiet and adorable? And why is my kid only adorable when other people are around so that they go “Oh, what an adorable child.”” and it’s hard not to say “Want her? She’s priced to move.”

Why is that?

At first I thought it was because she’s just a little suck-up. I suspected she would end up the sort of kid who reminds teacher that she forgot to give homework.

Then I realized that it must be evolution. It makes sense. Babies being quiet when non-parents are around has two obvious selective advantages:

i. It makes people who haven’t bred yet think that babies are actually (snicker) cute and (chuckle) nice, fooling them into breeding themselves. Thus the genome is spread. Suckers.

ii. In caveman days, when we were much less restrained than we are now, it was a good idea to be quiet around a stranger, since, if you were noisy and annoying, it made it that much more likely that that particular stranger would squish you with a rock.

The squeaky wheel gets greased.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 12-17-2003 08:41:29 PM
That was great, although I couldn't read too far into it.

"Boil the baby."

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 12-17-2003 08:43:25 PM
quote:
We got clothes at the baby shower too. A hippie couple we know made Cordelia a lovely pair of tie-dyed undergarments. It was, I admit, a noble effort to turn our fresh new daughter into some scumfucking Naderite granola person.

My wife and I soon observed that, whenever we put her into her tie dyed outfit, she would, within hours, without fail, urinate on it.

She is her father's daughter.

Razor
posted 12-17-2003 08:43:52 PM
quote:

Horrifying Introduction To Children's TV

I can't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty sure one of our parenting books says that it's OK to distract your child by showing it lots of TV. Considering how much of an intestine jarring pain it is to watch a tiny sprog every goddamn minute of every day, this only makes sense. So probably all the parenting books say this.

Of course, Cordelia is hypnotized by TV. Anything, I suppose, to distract her from daddy's awkward and pathetic attempts to entertain her. And, surprisingly, her attention is held most strongly by children's TV. TeleTubbies. Sesame Street. That sort of thing. I would have guessed that, for an eight month old, any TV show would be just about the same, but it turns out that, while there may be an outer limit to what I don't know about children, we aren't anywhere near reaching it yet.

So, to learn and be enlightened, I watched some kiddie TV. TeleTubbies, mainly, and some nightmare show where biplanes with computer animated faces say supportive things to each other. And I can't get over how disturbing these shows are. They're perfect for the wee ones, but fifteen seconds of TeleTubbies makes me feel like my skin is crawling off my body.

With some thought, I figured out why.

In these shows, everyone is nice to each other. Perfectly nice. Perfectly supportive. Everyone forgives each other. Everyone laughs at each others jokes. Males can be hugged by females and not try to parlay that hug into a fuck later.

If I met someone in real life who was so perfectly nice, I would worry. Two nice people, and I'd fear that I'd fallen into the sinister clutch of Mormons. A half dozen, and I'd grab my wallet and start screaming. While this behavior is great and comforting for kids, to adults, it's just Wrong. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Sure, on one hand, you might say, this means I've lost my childish spirit. You might say that I've been consumed by cynicism, and that I could, with effort, recapture some of the naive joy of youth. But, on the other hand, fuck you.

omg... someone else has seen the light.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: