EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What exactly happened in Evangelion?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-16-2003 01:36:33 PM
I watched the last few episodes and the movie twice now, and I still have no idea exactly what happens at the end with the giant Rei/deadseascrolls thing. I've got three possibilities:

1: I'm an idiot for not figuring it out because it's really simple.

2: Something was lost in the translation.

3: It's a messed up anime and nobody gets why a decent mecha-show got so insane.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Freedan
Pancake
posted 12-16-2003 01:40:06 PM
Shinji was h4x, that's it. He's h4x, nothing more to it.. h4x
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-16-2003 01:41:59 PM
You have to realize that the final eps are a real motherfucker of a twist.

Honestly, unless you've seen the movie it doesn't make much sense other than to say that *he* ultimately makes the choice on the next jump in 'human evolution'. And he refuses to let everyone become a co-mingled pool of ooze.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-16-2003 01:46:15 PM
I've only seen the "Ha ha, it was only a dream" ending. Which ending is that?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Valso
Pancake
posted 12-16-2003 01:47:10 PM
Spoilers, maybe not all of it, but enough I will just block it all out.
... (WTF) how do you do the spoiler tags.. ::cry:: {Got it}

The last two episodes is the end of the series (from what i gathered online). The movies were added for those that didn't understand, or wanted to know what happened with Nerv HQ and such. Therefore, the last two eps result in a similar situation as the movies.

In both cases, Shinji was chosen to be the single person to decide humanities fate. Rei is more or less, a god (? i could be wrong with this), and through her, and the "human intrumentality project," she offered Shinji the chance to save mankind, or to elimiate them for a new spieces to emerge.

(... I think that is what happens ...)

Examples of the last two eps coincieding with the movies.

-Shinji is given a chance for the world to be empty or with people in the episodes.
-Shinji is given a chance to have everyone become one, or for individuality in the movies.

Eh... Rei is the key "leader" of this change in both the movies and episodes (just in the movies it is more.. eh... freaky).

-=-=-=-

Side note, I have pretty much come to believe that the souls in Eva 1 was Shinji's mother, and the soul in Eva 2 was Asuka's mother (I think that was the Eva numbers they pioleted). For Rei's Eva 0, I do not know, but it is possible her's is a manufactured soul similar to how Rei is manufactured.

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: Valso ]

(blank)
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-16-2003 04:26:14 PM
Wait, which movie? There were two, and one of them was worthless.

End of Evangelion was awesome, the other was not...

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-16-2003 04:29:03 PM
Read
I think this guy's got it right.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-16-2003 04:57:45 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Kegwen said:
Wait, which movie? There were two, and one of them was worthless.

End of Evangelion was awesome, the other was not...

There's one movie, devided into 2 episode-like sessions.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-16-2003 05:35:56 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
There's one movie, devided into 2 episode-like sessions.

End of Evangelion was divided into two episode-like sessions, yes...

Death and Rebirth

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-16-2003 06:08:02 PM
quote:
Kegwen was naked while typing this:
End of Evangelion was divided into two episode-like sessions, yes...

Death and Rebirth

And that is the movie.

There's another format for the movie that's one solid thing, but it's the same thing (and I don't think that's official, I've only seen mpg versions of it.. I think someone just spliced the shit together to shrink the sizes. )

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-16-2003 06:11:21 PM
quote:

When the original movies debuted in Japan on March 19, 1997 they had the titles Evangelion: Death and Evangelion: Rebirth (even though Rebirth was not completed). Death retold the story that audiences saw in the TV series (up to episode 24), with a few changes and some major cuts. Rebirth picked up where Death and episode 24 left off, but it ended when the EVA Units 05-13 began their attack on NERV HQ.

End of Evangelion came to theaters on July 19, 1997 and it finished the story up. End of EVA contained the original Rebirth movie and then went on to show the end of humanity and the Third Impact (which kind of ruined any thought of a sequel). End of EVA was split into two "episodes" to kind of replace the final two TV episodes that irked many Japanese fans of the series. These two episodes of End of EVA are episode 25 "Air (Love is Destruction)" and episode 26 "For You, My Pure Heart ( I Need You)". Even though the story was not completed after episode 25, some credits began to roll and Thanatos, If I Can't Be Yours began to play, many confused audience members got up and began to walk out of the theater. The final episode and the story's finale completed in episode 26 immediately afterwards.

Due to popluar demands, however, End of Evangelion reappeared in theaters in Japan in March of 1998 and it was known as Revival of Evangelion. Evangelion: Death was played before the End, and it was re-edited and renamed Evangelion: Death (True). Confused? Well, all I can recommend is that you watch them yourselves and forget about the names....What's in a name anyway?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-16-2003 06:21:29 PM
Hrm... Guess I missed the original cut as I've got Death (True) and My Pure Heart...
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: