EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cell phones!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 12-16-2003 12:32:57 AM
What's the best cell phone service? I'm getting a cell phone for myself(I'm never home anymore; I work sixteen hours a day now) and my Dad on Friday and need a good place to start looking.

Also, any recommendations on fairly cheap phones? I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I don't need 28492842942 different songs to play when my phone rings or tetris on my cell phone or email on my cell phone or text messaging... if it rings when someone calls and picks up when I pick it up, it's all good for me. I was looking for a flip phone, though.

Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 12-16-2003 12:45:56 AM

Nextel i60c -- most basic flip phone. My best friend has one, it's good for exactly what you say.

Plus Nextel has Direct Connect/Nationwide Direct Connect which is undeniably pimp.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-16-2003 01:10:36 AM
Verizon. I love the service.

Any of the basic phones will do. Hell they are all but giving away anything except the PDA phones now.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
TaLourin
Pancake
posted 12-16-2003 01:18:04 AM
quote:
Jaggedpine Mistwalker obviously shouldn't have said:

Nextel i60c -- most basic flip phone. My best friend has one, it's good for exactly what you say.

Plus Nextel has Direct Connect/Nationwide Direct Connect which is undeniably pimp.

Pimp is not an adjective.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-16-2003 01:21:43 AM
quote:
Tal At Work had this to say about Duck Tales:
Pimp is not an adjective.

You're obviously too old to be cool anymore.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 12-16-2003 01:30:06 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about the Spice Girls:

Any of the basic phones will do. Hell they are all but giving away anything except the PDA phones now.

Even the LG VX6000 is like 79.99 now!

I paid near 300 bucks for that phone back two months ago.

Its one of the 'oh my thats alot of features' phones with a camera and lots of cool stuff. But it also has amazing quality and signal.

Verizons the way to go, don't be suckered into the 'oh well heres 4,000 minutes for four dollars and they roll over!' crap. You pay for what you get. You might have less minutes with Verizon but I can promise if you live in a big metro area none of those minutes will be wasted with bag signals/dropped calls.

Nextel's probably another good choice, depending. If you know alot of people with Nextel, DC or PTT or whatever they call it is wonderful. They also have incoming calls free. But its also more expensive with less coverage signal wise. Usally used more with construction/business workers.

If you really want to do research and hear opinions from the people that love cell phones check out www.howardforums.com

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 12-16-2003 01:59:14 AM
I have had nothing but good dealings with Verizon, and my LG VX10 is a pretty basic flip phone...rings, does text, and that's about it...no idea on the price now though, although probably cheap, since it doesn't hold a candle to some of the newer phones...
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-16-2003 07:48:01 AM
quote:
From the book of Azizza, chapter 3, verse 16:

Agreed. Also, I get consistantly better signals from my old Verizon phone inside buildings with thick walls and the like than people with other phones do.

And when you're in New York, which is largely Verizon dominated, you get cheap rates and strong signal. And it's so much cheaper than using the phone in your hotel, even for local calls.

My Verizon phone is probably around two years or so old, it is, as you asked, very simple. The battery holds a long charge still, it doesn't have any color graphics or anything, but it works fine for me.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-16-2003 08:32:18 AM
If all you need is a phone, don't look for which one is "cheap." Almost every major service has a free after rebate phone. What matters is reception, billing, and them not fucking you sideways with a flaming 2X4 wrapped in rusty barbed wire if something bad happens. Take note that different phones do give you different reception.

I'd first look at rates of T-Moble, Verizon, and Cingular, then ask various customers who are friends of yours their experiences locally. Look for plans you'll actually use. For example, if you never leave town, don't get an international plan. If you travel a lot, a regional or international plan is a must.

Most cell phones require you to get in a plan. This is why it is important to do some research on your own with the phones before you sign a contract. Most fine you a lot of money if you cancel before the one or two year contract is up.

Price-wise, what matters is how much you'll be paying over the one or two years of the contract, not hte initial cost of the phone.

edit: I have a cingular international plane. I never get roaming, ever. I always get signal, even in backwater places. They stopped caring about customer service which is becoming a big pain in the ass (which almost made me switch providers), and I get charged for text messages (something I rarely do).

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul

can you please fix my title
posted 12-16-2003 08:41:48 AM
I had GTE who then bought that little alien cell phone company, they decided that was better than what they had so they sold thier network and it became Altell.. I never had anyproblems until my startac phone was stolen and they replaced it with a v60 (pos)

the alien cell phone company is Verizion today

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-16-2003 08:55:45 AM
Virgin "Pay as you Go"

So much better than getting reemed by contracts.

Phones can go anywhere from $39 to $299.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-16-2003 10:09:05 AM
I know that when I re-upped my contract with verizon they gave me a T-730 for 30 bucks woith a 30 dollar mail in rebate. That is one of thier top Non Camera phones.
Of course I also got a 1500 Minute a month Contract so they wanted to be nice.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-16-2003 04:28:01 PM
quote:
Azizza spewed forth this undeniable truth:

YES.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-16-2003 04:46:26 PM
If you're not going to make a lot of calls (as in less than 40 minutes per month), go with a prepaid service. I just dropped Verizon and bought a TracFone, since I wasn't getting $40/month worth out of it. They lease service from other providers, so you don't get stuck up the ass with roaming fees, either. Virgin leases service through Sprint (you can pick one up in a Sprint store), TracFone leases through a few different companies.

Verizon's good on the east coast, and supposedly west coast as well, but they're dead in the water around the middle of the country, if I remember their service map correctly. Sprint has "nationwide" coverage, though they don't have enough towers in some place. Nextel sucks around here, because they don't have enough towers. My dad gets dropped calls while standing still. But yeah, companies with field agents or otherwise hard-to-reach people use Nextel a lot these days. AT&T tends to have good coverage overall, but they're on the expensive side.

As for phones, I used to get really good reception on my old StarTak phone. The design is around 5-6 years old, so it's pretty light on features. Most of Motorola's designs work pretty well. My dad also likes Nokia (his startak phone, and now mine, are Nokia phones), though I can't say for sure, since I just activated it yesterday.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-16-2003 05:47:18 PM
Verizon is fine everywhere except for Kentucky. Some company has a monopoly on the CDMA towers in the area and they won't sell to Verizon... that's the only trouble I've ever heard with Verizon's network
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-16-2003 06:00:19 PM
First cell phone I ever bought was through T-Mobile. Still probably the cheapest service overall, IMO, but that doesn't mean that it's the most bang for your buck, if you catch my drift. More I got what I paid for. I just ended up having the cell phone turned off after my contract was up.

My wife has a Verizon phone, and I have to say that 1) The service is excellent and 2) We've never had any big problems with customer support. Verizon is on average the most expensive cell phone provider around (At least they are in Texas), but my experience is that it's worth the extra money. We've had next to no hassles with them.

At work, we've been using Cingular for a long time. They have horrible customer service. I'll never do business with them. Just an example - our sales rep / account manager got mad at us because we went to a Cingular store and purchased a new cell phone for our CEO after he dropped his in the toilet (heh). Why? He doesn't make any commision if we buy it from a store. But this was an emergency (Or it was deemed one) and we wanted to replace his cell phone the absolute quickest way possible. What did the account manager do? He put a FREEZE on our company account that blocked us from ordering cell phones from anyone but him. Again, absolutely horrible service.

We've recently switched to Sprint - in fact I'm getting a new phone tomorrow. I've never had any personal experience with them, but the communications team seems excited about it.

Meh. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth. My personal opinion is that all cell phone companies exist to screw you out of your money. There is no one good provider, because they are all full of assholes. The best you can hope for is to have as little problems and possible. Do not hope that you will never have a problem or dispute, this is not possible.

-Tok

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: Toktuk ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: